Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM

20,381 posts, read 14,651,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I agree with this and I voted yes with the pot law and off topic but I also agree that if a church does not want to perform or recognize gay marriage then that is their will as well. Then I can decide if I want to work there or if I want to attend that church.
Yeah, I know that was a tad off-topic, the only reason I tossed it in there was just to illustrate my fundamental belief that, while the government needs to back off in restricting personal liberties on levels great and small--they also have no business telling private organizations (or individuals) that they must participate or tolerate things repugnant to them. There should not be restrictions on the freedoms of organizations either, so long as the policies are freely agreed to by the members of said organization and transparent in nature. If that makes sense?

Many will say that your employer has no right to say what you can or can't do on your own time and I don't agree. For example the military, a huge employer, absolutely regulates any number of things you do on your own time. They can prosecute you for adultery, for crying out loud. The bottom line is if you don't like those terms, work elsewhere. It's not like you don't know what you're getting into when you enlist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
Yeah, I know that was a tad off-topic, the only reason I tossed it in there was just to illustrate my fundamental belief that, while the government needs to back off in restricting personal liberties on levels great and small--they also have no business telling private organizations (or individuals) that they must participate or tolerate things repugnant to them. There should not be restrictions on the freedoms of organizations either, so long as the policies are freely agreed to by the members of said organization and transparent in nature. If that makes sense?

Many will say that your employer has no right to say what you can or can't do on your own time and I don't agree. For example the military, a huge employer, absolutely regulates any number of things you do on your own time. They can prosecute you for adultery, for crying out loud. The bottom line is if you don't like those terms, work elsewhere. It's not like you don't know what you're getting into when you enlist.
I don't think they can say what you can do on your own time. If someone wants to have a drink but shows up to work sober that should be all they care about. If someone smokes pot but shows up to work sober again that is all they should care about. There needs to be better tests that can show the difference.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Drug testing will go away. ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I don't think it's going away at all. ....
I think your both wrong. Don't expect it to be clear cut and absolute in either direction. Although much MJ testing "could" go away, IMO there will always be testing for narcotics and in jobs where public /worker safety is an issue.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:34 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,031,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xander_Crews View Post
Like don't say party names?

How are we not suppose to talk big politics when we are talking about a political issue on a state and federal issue?

Again, don't say party names, or only in direct reference to Cannabis? (Even though state law, taxation, and constitutionality are all political issues not directly about cannabis that affect this issue.)

Not trying to be confrontational or anything, I just don't see how you can talk about an amendment to a state constitution and not talk politics.
DON'T talk about macro-economics, Friedman, Keynes, trickle down, trickle up, etc.

OKAY to talk the politics of the MJ amendment.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:37 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
And some people see themselves as better because they do not smoke pot.

The bottom line is we are all human and no one is better then the next person. Some people choose to drink wine, beer, hard liquor, smoke pot etc and some choose not to. Now in Colorado its legal to smoke pot like it is to drink alcohol.
Sorry I don't buy into that "no one is better than the other person". People get judged on their work performance, ethics, character, trustworthiness, etc. as they should. We've let our high standards go in this country and I think that is actually one of the core reasons why this nation is turning into a bunch of needy wimps. All this political correctness, group think and not having standards has brought on mediocrity and I think we need to turn away from that back to harsh judgmentalism of stupid people, stupid government rules and regs and stupid ideas.

Most people out there don't want their pilot, surgeon, chef, taxi driver to be under the influence.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:42 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,457,538 times
Quote:
Sorry I don't buy into that "no one is better than the other person". People get judged on their work performance, ethics, character, trustworthiness, etc. as they should. We've let our high standards go in this country and I think that is actually one of the core reasons why this nation is turning into a bunch of needy wimps. All this political correctness, group think and not having standards has brought on mediocrity and I think we need to turn away from that back to harsh judgmentalism of stupid people, stupid government rules and regs and stupid ideas.
So you think some people are better then others?

Quote:
Most people out there don't want their pilot, surgeon, chef, taxi driver to be under the influence.
I don't want them to be drunk either but if they get drunk or hi on their own time is when I don't care.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:44 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,673,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post

I firmly believe there will always be people that want to put substances in their body that takes their brain to another planet.

What we need to figure out is how to do that as a society so those people can do those substances, without them taking it out on their family or the public or pushing the cost onto us. There is no easy solution. I have one "fantasy" idea for it, but it would never be implemented.

I don't believe an employer has a right to interfere in your personal business, except when it has something to do with your work performance.

Old 11-14-2012, 12:46 PM

665 posts, read 1,295,089 times
Quote:

That's going to happen on individual circumstances whether MJ is illegal or not. And I don't think anyone else wants that either. It can happen with all drugs. So it's hardly a valid point against the legalization of MJ.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 PM

3,869 posts, read 15,169,496 times
I couldn't agree more this entitlement has to come to an end.

"I think we need to turn away from that back to harsh judgmentalism of stupid people, stupid government rules and regs and stupid ideas."

I agree, it is stupid to have so maney Gov't rules and regs, less GOVT in my life.
With that, comes being responsible for yourself.
Fewer rules and regs ?? Like the prohibition of pot?

"Most people out there don't want their pilot, surgeon, chef, taxi driver to be under the influence."
How,what or why is the legalization going to change the regulations already in place on these professions?

So it is legal to get high, This will not changed the things it is illegal to do while under the influence of a substance.

and how does this influence ones decision to move to or away from CO?

Quote:

Old 11-14-2012, 01:24 PM

19,039 posts, read 13,955,559 times
Still nothing on what 'potheads' refuse to take responsibility for? I'm starting to think those who made the statement have nothing of substance to explain it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado