U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:14 AM

463 posts, read 978,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
It's possible, but won't be easy. My husband is an experienced nurse and we love Durango, but we chose to not move there because of the high cost of living compared with the wages. Our good friends attempted Durango (he's also a nurse) earlier this year, and after only 6 weeks they moved away. They were looking for a home on some acreage, just rent, and couldn't find anything less than $1200/month, their budget. In terms of acreage, Durango has some of the highest real estate costs in the state. You would probably have to look west towards Mancos and the desert, to find anything remotely affordable.

However, all of this doesn't mean it's not possible. You just need to go in knowing it may not work out. You can live in Durango on those wages, it just may not be the dream you envisioned.

+1. Well said. I did it and left as well. Just didn't think it was worth it. The older you get, the harder it is and I couldn't even imagine the struggle with kids. Prices are coming down due to the collapse of the bubble so if you purchase wisely and are patient it is possible.

Other places: Salida CO. Lovely little town with a nice hospital. Jobs here:

Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center: Employment Center.

It does have the same problem as Durango; RE prices completely out of wack with market essentials but prices here have been steadily declining as well.

If you are interested in homesteading make sure you check the PH of your water. It took me quite a while to realize that I was killing my garden by watering it. The PH of my water is 8.4. Tomates like it slightly acidic, say 6.7. A PH of 8.4 may sound close to neutral (7.0) but it's a logrithmic scale so my water is pretty alkaline. Add that to the fact that you have to constantly water due to the altitude, wind, and dryness, makes it hard to grow anything. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
If you are willing to live up to 30-45 minutes from Durango you can find what you say you want. If you can afford $100,000+ for a couple acres you can be within 20-30 minutes of Durango. Not the prettiest, most perfect parcels but maybe good enough. If you can afford at least $70,000 or so for the land you can be 30-45 minutes away. I found decent parcels on the MLS in just a few minutes. I'd suggest you consider all advice offered but don't take no for the answer til you get to no yourself after researching it directly.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,421,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
+1. Well said. I did it and left as well. Just didn't think it was worth it. The older you get, the harder it is and I couldn't even imagine the struggle with kids. Prices are coming down due to the collapse of the bubble so if you purchase wisely and are patient it is possible.

Other places: Salida CO. Lovely little town with a nice hospital. Jobs here:

Heart of the Rockies Regional Medical Center: Employment Center.

It does have the same problem as Durango; RE prices completely out of wack with market essentials but prices here have been steadily declining as well.

If you are interested in homesteading make sure you check the PH of your water. It took me quite a while to realize that I was killing my garden by watering it. The PH of my water is 8.4. Tomates like it slightly acidic, say 6.7. A PH of 8.4 may sound close to neutral (7.0) but it's a logrithmic scale so my water is pretty alkaline. Add that to the fact that you have to constantly water due to the altitude, wind, and dryness, makes it hard to grow anything. Good luck.
Shhhhhh....Salida is on our radar! Actually though, we've pretty much ruled it out, as jobs are few and far between, the pay is horrible, and benefits are even worse. We love Salida, and the Arkansas Valley, but
the population is just too small (a 3rd of Durango, which is still small) to depend on full time employment.

Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,719,711 times
Thanks for the replies. We are in flagstaff arizona right now and are planning a 3 day trip up there next week to take a second look around. It should be about an 8 drive. Hopefully after then we will have a better more realistic idea if we can make this happen or not.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:56 PM

463 posts, read 978,594 times
It's been a while but I seem to remember Durango to Flag in under 6 hours. But I wasn't pulling a 5th wheel so maybe 8 hours if you're taking it easy. Check out the threads on fracking and be aware that when you buy property in CO, you are NOT buying the mineral rights (unless they are specifically included in the sale which is usually not the case). There is a lot of natural gas in the San Juan basin and you very well may wake up with a drilling rig in your front yard someday. Since you don't own the mineral rights, there is nothing you can do about it.
Also, there is a veterans hospital in Junction. Not too far from Lake Powell and Moab, near the Grand Mesa, reasonably priced RE but more desert than mountain terrain. I have friends who moved there and really like it. Just a thought.......

Old 11-09-2012, 06:43 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,421,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
It's been a while but I seem to remember Durango to Flag in under 6 hours. But I wasn't pulling a 5th wheel so maybe 8 hours if you're taking it easy. Check out the threads on fracking and be aware that when you buy property in CO, you are NOT buying the mineral rights (unless they are specifically included in the sale which is usually not the case). There is a lot of natural gas in the San Juan basin and you very well may wake up with a drilling rig in your front yard someday. Since you don't own the mineral rights, there is nothing you can do about it.
Also, there is a veterans hospital in Junction. Not too far from Lake Powell and Moab, near the Grand Mesa, reasonably priced RE but more desert than mountain terrain. I have friends who moved there and really like it. Just a thought.......
Excellent point about the fracking issue (and might be a reason some land seems really cheap). In fact, that was the other big reason our friends decided to move to Taos rather than stay in Durango. They couldn't believe the number of wells in the area. We tried to tell them, knowing how concerned they were over it, but it's one of those things you have to see. The Grand Junction area isn't much better in that regards. My husband and I lived there for 7 years before we moved to Bend. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:32 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
If you are willing to live up to 30-45 minutes from Durango you can find what you say you want. If you can afford $100,000+ for a couple acres you can be within 20-30 minutes of Durango. Not the prettiest, most perfect parcels but maybe good enough. If you can afford at least $70,000 or so for the land you can be 30-45 minutes away. I found decent parcels on the MLS in just a few minutes. I'd suggest you consider all advice offered but don't take no for the answer til you get to no yourself after researching it directly.
I'm in Durango at the moment. You can find building lots and parcels available within 10 minutes of Durango for under $100K. Search Craigslist and some of the local real estate brokerage web sites. I own 5 acres 10 minutes from Durango. I paid more than $100K for my land but I am also waterfront & mountain view, hence the premium I paid. Smaller less attractive parcels can be had for less. I found mine on a real estate brokerage web site (Coldwell-Banker).
Attached Thumbnails
Can we make it in Durango?-fhm.jpg  

Old 11-10-2012, 08:33 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
SoBut.....looks like a nice piece of property!

Old 11-10-2012, 02:26 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
SoBut.....looks like a nice piece of property!
Thanks CW, it is. Met with our Timber Framer yesterday to discuss the project and get a tour of one he raised two weeks ago. I've included some pics looking up into the loft area and the view of the Animas River Valley in that newly raised shell.

BTW, I plan to have a get together after we're in and settled and invite all of my CD friends on the western slope. Others are welcome as well but it's a long drive from the front range. Jazz is welcome too but I doubt he'd show up since he obviously views stoners like me as losers. He probably wouldn't enjoy some of the activities there anyway being a self professed curmudgeon and all.

We're moving to Durango in June 2013 and plan to break ground in March 2014. Should be complete by year end 2014.
Attached Thumbnails
Can we make it in Durango?-2012-11-09-10.46.38.jpg   Can we make it in Durango?-2012-11-09-10.54.16.jpg   Can we make it in Durango?-2012-11-09-10.46.50.jpg  

Old 02-28-2013, 10:21 AM

10 posts, read 15,033 times
Default Looks great, SoBut

Hello again, SoBut -- how great to see your dream becoming a reality. We have lived here now for seven months and have few complaints. Yes, Main Street is congested (although comparing it with Mid-Atlantic traffic makes it laughable), real estate is pricey and yes, wages are out of whack with the cost of housing. It's obvious there are people who are struggling (where are they not?) Everything else, cost of food, utilities, property taxes, etc., is definitely lower than Annapolis, MD (another pricey hot spot). My dollars are going further here. Not much snow this winter in town; get up to 8,000 feet and that changes.

It's not a perfect place, and we know that place doesn't exist. I may not buy real estate here, and if I do, it will be further west, as others have suggested, near Mancos or Cortez. Anyone not concerned about climate change's effects isn't paying attention. Fracking is also a concern.

But the chief reasons we moved here are more than enough reason to stay. It is amazing to be able to drive for twenty minutes to an hour and be in incredibly beautiful, rugged mountains for hiking, mountain biking or an afternoon of cross-country skiing. Or, drive another direction and see ancient ruins and beautiful desert mesas. Clean air, nice people, plenty of ways to enjoy being outdoors.

Everyone's got to do their own research, weigh their own options, and come to their own decision. The information on this forum was helpful, but only a piece of that puzzle for me. So-but, I would LOVE to come to your welcome home party -- would love to meet up before then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado