U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 04:01 PM

2,813 posts, read 2,719,711 times

Advertisements

Hello, for the past year my wife and i have done travel nursing living out of our 5th wheel and have been everywhere from Virginia to Trinidad Colorado to Upper Peninsula Michigan to northern Arizona where we are at right now. We are considering to end travel nursing and settle down some place now that we have a kid. We really like small towns and fell in love with durango and pagosa springs. She is an experienced RN so this move would be 100% contingent on her employment first. She would be making 27-35 an hour depending on position and shift. We are trying to live out paradise syndrome and have the cabin in the woods dream like everyone else. My eventual goal would be to buy 3-40 acres outside of town and build a cabin. My wife has her colorado RN license and we have a brand new 4x4 truck ready to go. I want to make my dream a reality. If she can get a job there and with me working a part time job or whatever I can find would it be possible to achieve our dream of getting land within 30 mins of either one of these towns. Or is real estate simply to much to afford in this area? We have 10k $ saved up. I have lived off the grid in the upper peninsula of michigan so we are not afraid of the cold or snow. I have seen a few affordable properties around 8500 feet. Is this to high. We are at 7000 feet in arizona right now. I dont mind 4x4 access. I am very familiar with colorado water issues and the like. Can we make our dream a reality within 30 -45mins from a hospital in SW colorado? Or should we look somewhere less scenic. Lay it out to me the good the bad and the ugly. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2012, 05:13 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
6.7 traveler wrote: Can we make it in Durango?

My guess is....maybe or maybe not. Asking a question like that shows a lack of confidence. Confidence is an inside job. No one else can bestow it upon you. May I suggest the Missouri Ozarks as a kinder, gentler place to pursue your dream....milder climate, more affordable real estate, and a much better water situation without the additional challenges of high elevation and isolation.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 11-07-2012 at 05:40 PM..

Old 11-07-2012, 09:52 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Short answer--not likely, at least not for the long term.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:30 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,421,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Hello, for the past year my wife and i have done travel nursing living out of our 5th wheel and have been everywhere from Virginia to Trinidad Colorado to Upper Peninsula Michigan to northern Arizona where we are at right now. We are considering to end travel nursing and settle down some place now that we have a kid. We really like small towns and fell in love with durango and pagosa springs. She is an experienced RN so this move would be 100% contingent on her employment first. She would be making 27-35 an hour depending on position and shift. We are trying to live out paradise syndrome and have the cabin in the woods dream like everyone else. My eventual goal would be to buy 3-40 acres outside of town and build a cabin. My wife has her colorado RN license and we have a brand new 4x4 truck ready to go. I want to make my dream a reality. If she can get a job there and with me working a part time job or whatever I can find would it be possible to achieve our dream of getting land within 30 mins of either one of these towns. Or is real estate simply to much to afford in this area? We have 10k $ saved up. I have lived off the grid in the upper peninsula of michigan so we are not afraid of the cold or snow. I have seen a few affordable properties around 8500 feet. Is this to high. We are at 7000 feet in arizona right now. I dont mind 4x4 access. I am very familiar with colorado water issues and the like. Can we make our dream a reality within 30 -45mins from a hospital in SW colorado? Or should we look somewhere less scenic. Lay it out to me the good the bad and the ugly. Thanks
It's possible, but won't be easy. My husband is an experienced nurse and we love Durango, but we chose to not move there because of the high cost of living compared with the wages. Our good friends attempted Durango (he's also a nurse) earlier this year, and after only 6 weeks they moved away. They were looking for a home on some acreage, just rent, and couldn't find anything less than $1200/month, their budget. In terms of acreage, Durango has some of the highest real estate costs in the state. You would probably have to look west towards Mancos and the desert, to find anything remotely affordable.

However, all of this doesn't mean it's not possible. You just need to go in knowing it may not work out. You can live in Durango on those wages, it just may not be the dream you envisioned.

Old 11-08-2012, 12:28 PM

Thanks for the replies. We absolutely love durango but would also want to be able to afford some land someday and not be stuck in the rent trap forever. We have been all over the country this last year and it seems all the beautiful smaller towns have been discovered already and they have low wages and high cost of living. Im 30 years too late. Any other suggestions of a nice smaller town within 30 -45 mins of a hospital?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,421,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Thanks for the replies. We absolutely love durango but would also want to be able to afford some land someday and not be stuck in the rent trap forever. We have been all over the country this last year and it seems all the beautiful smaller towns have been discovered already and they have low wages and high cost of living. Im 30 years too late. Any other suggestions of a nice smaller town within 30 -45 mins of a hospital?
Are you stuck on Colorado? If not, you might check out Bend, OR where I currently live. It has all that you are looking for, and thanks to the real estate bubble, land and housing is extremely affordable right now. My husband is an RN here and makes $41/hour. Much better wages! There are also quite a few other smaller towns in OR that might fit what you are looking for. Land is a bit harder to buy here because of our urban growth boundaries, but it can be done. You might check out the OR forum for more info.

You might also check out Santa Fe or Taos, NM. Our friends that moved to Durango ended up in Taos! He makes a little bit more than what was offered in Durango and the cost of living is lower.

Why are you looking to leave AZ?

Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 PM

69 posts, read 109,392 times
My mother also left CO for Bend, OR and LOVES it. She's a real estate broker with 30+ years of experience as well, so PM me if you'd like her contact info.

Best of luck!

Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,448,658 times
Delta Beat me to it. We are retiring near Bend on our 15 acres of forest, in a couple of years, from Colorado. Durango can have some really serious snow, I used to race there years ago.

Old 11-08-2012, 05:21 PM

We are not stuck on colorado so thank you for the ideas. We are only in arizona for 3 months on a travel nurse assignment. We are basically looking for any place with hills or mountains within 30-45 mins of a hospital. A nice place where we can buy some acreage and raise our kids in a non suburban cookie cutter type area.

Old 11-08-2012, 06:53 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
Have you looked for land in the Williamson valley near Prescott? Cottonwood also comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado