U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 10:37 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,634,577 times

Advertisements

The continued growth on the front range along with the population density is the primary reason I much prefer the western slope. I like space, lots of it, and i don't like anybody telling me what I can and cannot do, within reason. I've spent too many years in the ''burbs" and in my travel experience over the past 25 years, the "'burbs" seem to be the same wherever you go.

I have always bought houses at the outside edge of the sprawl figuring that when it caught up to me, my house would have risen in value, I would sell it and harvest my nice equity bump, and then move to the outside edge again and repeat the process. It took 15 years with my last house and now 8 with the current house. It's caught up again.... time to move.

But now I'd prefer to just go someplace away from the sprawl, and for me that's the western slope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 03:43 AM

13,292 posts, read 25,459,767 times
I thought a city was defined as a sort of density, and what Joseppie seems to be describing is a big sprawling sort-of-suburb. In the East, there really isn't enough land to add "city" to the existing cities, and that might be why people like living in a real city- then there are those restaurant and cultural advantages. Having them strung out along an interstate because people just keep driving to the correct exit because more people are living along the interstate doesn't strike me as "city."
Then, I grew up in south Jersey, and watched it become more and more a sprawl and six-lane highways with ramps and lights and strip shopping *everywhere*. I was down there in June for a couple of weeks and thought I'd lose my mind.
The better restaurants and cultural things were still in Philadelphia- where density counts.
I'd rather live in a real city or a real not-city than an in-between sprawl. I must admit, the first time I saw Western cities ("cities") they struck me as through-ways for automobiles with buildings strung out along the sides (except San Francisco). Note that what is left of original downtowns in Western cities become very popular for living, cultural stuff, walkability, etc.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:44 PM

2,943 posts, read 7,302,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Well the developmental plans have already been submitted and aproved by the city of Pueblo so it's a matter of "when" not "if" it will be developed. That includes a tech park zoned for sky scrapers that when completed will be larger then the Denver Tech Center, the main exit will be exit 110 by Pinon in Pueblo county. I guess in many ways I-25 is much like I-5 in Cali, on a smaller scale.

Skyscraper?! Goood lord, I want some of what you're smoking. Although, I guess time will tell.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
Skyscraper?! Goood lord, I want some of what you're smoking. Although, I guess time will tell.
Well it is legal now!

Sorry I could not resist....

But I have seen and read the master plan for the new tech park and it is zoned for sky scrapers.....

Old 11-11-2012, 09:31 PM

2,943 posts, read 7,302,240 times
I'm not sure if we'll see that in our lifetimes, if the current socio-economic status continues...

Old 11-12-2012, 09:58 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Josseppie, your constant wish that Colorado should grow "like California has" shows just how shallow and completely out of touch you are with the realities of this state. California has become an unsustainable mess--economically, environmentally, and socially--to the point that millions are trying to get out of there--if they could (well, except for illegal immigrants--for them, California is the promised land of welfare benefits and other public goodies). And you want Colorado to emulate that? How stupid is that? Oh, but "Colorado will be different." How? More water resources? NO! Better transportation system? NO! Better planned metro areas? NO! Better fiscal conditions and long-term tax base? NO! Better geographic location? NO! Better public infrastructure? NO! More enlightened leadership? NO!

I've said it before, if you think California is so damned great, why wait for Colorado to turn into it? Move to California, please, and you can have it all right now. Leave Colorado for those of us who think that it would be better if it DIDN'T turn into California.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Josseppie, your constant wish that Colorado should grow "like California has" shows just how shallow and completely out of touch you are with the realities of this state. California has become an unsustainable mess--economically, environmentally, and socially--to the point that millions are trying to get out of there--if they could (well, except for illegal immigrants--for them, California is the promised land of welfare benefits and other public goodies). And you want Colorado to emulate that? How stupid is that? Oh, but "Colorado will be different." How? More water resources? NO! Better transportation system? NO! Better planned metro areas? NO! Better fiscal conditions and long-term tax base? NO! Better geographic location? NO! Better public infrastructure? NO! More enlightened leadership? NO!
Colorado will never be as large as California nor should we be. I mean even the most optimistic growth projections have the entire state smaller then the LA CSA so lets keep things in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
I've said it before, if you think California is so damned great, why wait for Colorado to turn into it? Move to California, please, and you can have it all right now. Leave Colorado for those of us who think that it would be better if it DIDN'T turn into California.
While Colorado will never be as large as California it will grow and be large for this part of the country. If you want to live in a sparsely populated state Wyoming is not expected to grow much. Just saying.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I thought a city was defined as a sort of density, and what Joseppie seems to be describing is a big sprawling sort-of-suburb. In the East, there really isn't enough land to add "city" to the existing cities, and that might be why people like living in a real city- then there are those restaurant and cultural advantages. Having them strung out along an interstate because people just keep driving to the correct exit because more people are living along the interstate doesn't strike me as "city."
Then, I grew up in south Jersey, and watched it become more and more a sprawl and six-lane highways with ramps and lights and strip shopping *everywhere*. I was down there in June for a couple of weeks and thought I'd lose my mind.
The better restaurants and cultural things were still in Philadelphia- where density counts.
I'd rather live in a real city or a real not-city than an in-between sprawl. I must admit, the first time I saw Western cities ("cities") they struck me as through-ways for automobiles with buildings strung out along the sides (except San Francisco). Note that what is left of original downtowns in Western cities become very popular for living, cultural stuff, walkability, etc.
Cities come in all shape and sizes and there is no "real" city as what works in one part of the country (the north east) won't work in the west. Now personally I like the San Diego model. They have spent time and money on their downtown and its very nice and urban yet they, also, have a nice a dense tech park just north of downtown and nice universities. If southern Colorado (Pueblo and Colorado Springs) grew like it has, just on a smaller scale, I would be very pleased.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:24 AM

22 posts, read 24,261 times
The political side of the question concerns me as well. I want to leave California behind, not move to a version with more snow.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:35 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatterbot View Post
The political side of the question concerns me as well. I want to leave California behind, not move to a version with more snow.
Well, far too many people from California have already moved to Colorado and, whether they admit it or not, most of them are busily trying to turn Colorado into exactly what they left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or