Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM

992 posts, read 2,372,803 times

Advertisements

HI everyone; my husband is going to interview again for a position with the Climax mine. He interviewed last year and it wasn't a good time/fit. Now, a position is available that is more promising and they want to see him again.
With 4 children, 3 in school, I really want to live in a town that offers good educational opportunities, sports, and clubs.
In addition, affordability is key...I have done a bit of looking around in the areas around the mine, and it appears that there is a lot of negative things said about Leadville. My husband has been there and liked it, but of course he didn't visit schools or anything. He's stayed in Silverthorne and enjoyed that as well.
I've listed just a few possible towns, mainly because of proximity to the mine....what would you recommend and why?
Education, Ease of transition, commute, community, and activities are key for us. Oh, and definitely affordability....500K in Summit County is out of the question.
We would rent for about a year before purchasing.
Thank you in advance....appreciate the input.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 10:20 AM

462 posts, read 1,173,287 times
I notice that your first criteria was education so you can cross Leadville off your list. The I-70 corridor towns are very expensive and your money won't go very far. BV is nice and has been very expensive but the bubble has popped and prices are falling. Also, schools here are highly rated. The big drawback would be the commute. Say 40 minutes to Leadville and another 15-20 minutes to Climax. People do it. Some folks carpool but the drive would get old. No matter where you go, renting first would be a wise thing to do. Good luck.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:32 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,985,257 times
Wink The charms of Leadville or not

For good educational opportunities, sports, clubs, and services in general, Summit County would surely be the best option.

As noted, the only real problem with Summit County—aside from the longer commute versus being in or near Leadville—would be the expense of housing, which can be prohibitive. You will probably have to weigh this alone against all the other positives to come to a decision. I cannot speak to the schools in Leadville, which may be okay, although with the feeling that in schooling, sports, services, etc., Leadville would prove a third best choice behind Buena Vista. With neither of these places touching that offered in, say, Silverthorne. The overall atmosphere will certainly be different, which could prove a positive or not: as a heavily trafficked resort area all the towns in Summit County, if small, will not be or seem as much as Buena Vista, even if it enjoys tourism as well. If desiring the more conservative and down home, then perhaps steer clear of Summit County.

Do not overlook the commute. At that elevation it will often be on snow packed or otherwise less than clear roads in winter. Even if a bit of a drive, Leadville is obviously the closest to the mine. Driving on to Buena Vista may possibly wear on a daily basis. And if not terribly far, not always a picnic on down and back up from the settlements of Summit County. In this alone Leadville could be the best choice, if otherwise amenable.

Within Summit County you're basically looking at three towns, if within town: Frisco, and those two adjacent in Dillon and Silverthorne. Breckenridge is more expensive for one thing, and with a lot of traffic between it and Frisco, so who needs that? Frisco is a nice place, and also closest concerning commute, although a few more minutes on I-70 isn't that big a deal on into Silverthorne. One might live out in the country and possibly save some money, but most of the rentals are likely geared towards tourists. Maybe out towards Kremmling, but there isn't a lot out that way, and of course in adding to the commute. In short, one will probably want (and need to per renting) to be in or very close to town.

If choosing Summit County, the compromise may well be in renting indefinitely. Perhaps in time one could save up and come up with something to buy, but always at a premium compared to other areas. It would be worth considering Leadville closely to determine if it could ever realistically do.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:53 AM

School rankings;

BV 43/123
Lake (Leadville) 112/123

Source:
Colorado State Districts - CO School District Rankings

I wouldn't send my dogs to Leadville schools.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times
I have to agree with others regarding the schools in Leadville. When I was in school for my elementary teacher certification, I had a cohort do her internship in the Leadville schools. She loved the kids, but almost every single child was below grade level. They had problems obtaining decent textbooks and retaining teachers.

I also had a good friend who lived up there and worked for the USFS. They moved away 2 years ago, as their young children were approaching school age. They didn't want to sent their kids to the schools there.

Buena Vista would be my choice. It's a lot less crowded and touristy than Summit Co. and way more afforable. The weather is milder too, IMO. Of course, the commute might be tough, but if you find a place north of town, it might be worth looking.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
The weather is milder too, IMO. .......
This is a VERY important consideration. Your husband is going to be working at 11000 feet +/-. BV is at 7900 ft in the banana belt. The weather will feel positively tropical down here compared to Leadville/Climax. Those high altitude winters really wear you out.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:50 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,687,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post
This is a VERY important consideration. Your husband is going to be working at 11000 feet +/-. BV is at 7900 ft in the banana belt. The weather will feel positively tropical down here compared to Leadville/Climax. Those high altitude winters really wear you out.
Absolutely! I lived in Fairplay for almost 4 years and I was ready to move to a warmer climate for a while. If the OP is coming from Texas, like their location indicates, the weather in Leadville will be truly a shock, especially in the winter!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM

Thank you, everyone for the input. I wanted to get a feel for why the schools are considered sub par in Leadville. My husband visited Leadville and Silverthorne last year, and liked both. Leadville seemed to be closer in the running because of the proximity of the mine.
I have 3 in school, and I am very involved with their schools; PTO, volunteering, Room Mom, etc. I know our schools aren't perfect now, but we take our education seriously and reiterate what is taught and take the initiative to expand on what is taught.

We have lived at 7200 feet before, in Laramie...the winds were brutal, as it was mostly high plains. The altitude never really bothered me; I had a few headaches, but I was diligent in staying hydrated and taking in the appropriate vitamins. I also did my best to get out in it. The wind drove me nuts! The cold, not so much.

I absolutely hate the heat and humidity in Houston. I hate it passionately.

I have a friend that lived in Summit County, in Breck in high school, and she loved it of course. I wonder if Leadville would be an option with homeschool. Are there any private schools in the area?

I like what I hear about Buena Vista...thanks so much! I appreciate the honest input!

Old 11-13-2012, 12:27 PM

When I lived in Leadville, a friend sent his kids to Catholic school in BV. Also, there's a christian academy here but I don't know anything about it:

Darren Patterson Christian Academy

I can't think of any non-denominational schools right off the top of my head. They may be here, try googling it. It's easy to homeschool in CO (I mean the state laws permit it) if you choose to go that route.

Old 11-13-2012, 12:47 PM

How different is the climate between Leadville and Buena Vista? That's a factor, too. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado