Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2007, 07:40 AM

60 posts, read 479,805 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for all the great commute info I received on the last thread. I do have 2 more questions about Evergreen relating to neighborhoods and covenants. First, is living in an area of Evergreen without covenants just asking for trouble? I currently live in an HOA community and I do understand the need for code enforcement and such. Does the city do code enforcement where covenants are not present? For those of you living or have lived in Evergreen what neighborhoods do you feel were kept up the best. Were there any areas where people just did not pick up or clean up their properties? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2007, 09:31 AM

320 posts, read 1,732,880 times
Not in CO yet but here HOAs are EVIL. Its so bad alot of people won't even consider buying if there are HOAs, I am one of them. The only benefitI see to HOAs is the maintenence of common areas. Who are they to tell me what color my house should be painted, or how many cars I can own?
I know they haven't gotten to that point in CO but I wonder if they will over time.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:30 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,154,100 times
OutofSoCal ... you must be 25 years out of touch with what's happened in Colorado.

The HOA's in many communities DO tell you what color to paint your house, when to paint it, how many cars you can have, etc ....

And that's in a lot of communities where they don't even have common grounds to maintain .....

Old 10-15-2007, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,233 times
Default HOAs needed in mountain communities

If you're moving from an area where people generally follow the golden rule, whether they're forced to by an HOA or not, you will be very disappointed in a non HOA community in Evergreen. In a neighborhood with half million dollar homes on 1/2 acre lots where I now live, people (1) store junk at the edge or their properties where they can't see it but their neighbors can (2) do construction at all hours of day and night without regard to the noise disruption to others (3) tear up their neighbor's land to do construction w/o asking or fixing it afterward (4) vote to have the road improved then afterward say they don't want to pay their share (5) trespass and claim right to your property adjoining theirs even after several surveys have been performed to settle the issue (6) lie to all the neighbors about those "outsiders" who moved in in order to use social pressure to get what they want. There are enough people who have lived w/o HOAs their whole lives, and are used to just doing whatever they want in Evergreen that I don't think you are safe in any neighborhood here without some basic "don't crap on others for sport" rules. Even in the fancier places.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:35 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
My neighborhood in Evergreen has no HOA and everybody is great. NO problems at all. We even live off a private road and every single resident payed their share to pave the road. 100% participation. Houses range from 200k-650k, mixture of very old to new builds, very diverse. Everybody helps out when needed.

I have friends that live in HOA neighborhoods in Evergreen and they are always having "issues" or having to come up with additional funds over and above the yearly dues. It's almost like the people in charge have to make up problems that need to be solved.

I also lived in an older neighborhood in Socal with no HOA. No problems there either. Good people are good people, regardless of an HOA. Pick your neighborhood wisely.

Last edited by High Altitude; 10-15-2007 at 06:48 PM..

Old 10-16-2007, 08:44 AM

447 posts, read 1,606,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
My neighborhood in Evergreen has no HOA and everybody is great. NO problems at all. We even live off a private road and every single resident payed their share to pave the road. 100% participation. Houses range from 200k-650k, mixture of very old to new builds, very diverse. Everybody helps out when needed.

I have friends that live in HOA neighborhoods in Evergreen and they are always having "issues" or having to come up with additional funds over and above the yearly dues. It's almost like the people in charge have to make up problems that need to be solved.

I also lived in an older neighborhood in Socal with no HOA. No problems there either. Good people are good people, regardless of an HOA. Pick your neighborhood wisely.
We definitely need to talk........I'm in Evergreen for the week looking for jobs and housing (buy housing I am interested in rentals) I am going around town today and putting in applications at jobs.......If you are willing to lend a hand please let me know......(I promise it won't take long)

Old 10-16-2007, 10:49 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,184,182 times
Send me a direct message (click on my handle) with a name/phone number and I will call you.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:11 PM

676 posts, read 2,796,118 times
My family lives in the evergreen area also and it seems that most developments have some sort of HOA. It seems like the larger neighborhoods have more strickter regulations like Hiwan.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:41 AM

3 posts, read 10,571 times
It's up to each individual as to whether HOA is for them or not. If you don't mind your neighbors not cutting their grass/maintaining their yard or painting their house some funky color or keeping their boat or 10 cards in the the driveway/street then I would say you are not the right fit for an HOA. If you are concerned about maintaining the property values in your neighborhood, like to have a nice looking community and rules to prevent disorganization then you would do best in an HOA.

It's each individual's decision and does not require all or nothing. I have always lived in HOA communities and never had a problem since prior to purchasing the home, I make sure I READ the rules and regulations and make a decision PRIOR to purchasing. I think it's totally unfair and ignorant when people purchase in an HOA and then realize what the rules are after purchasing and decide to complain afterwards. If you don't like the rules then don't buy in that community - it's as simple as that.

Last edited by acorrea; 10-17-2007 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: was not finished
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado