U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM

2,139 posts, read 5,622,632 times

Advertisements

I've been there only once. I found it odd. Not much diversity, too much wealth. It was just strange. Nice to visit, but not my fav place in Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 12:51 PM

811 posts, read 1,220,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
I've lived in Gunnison, Leadville, Breckenridge, Boulder, my native New Hampshire(mountains and seacoast), and Steamboat. Of all these I have found Steamboat to have the mildest climate, the friendliest people, the most well rounded economy, the lowest cost of living, and the best cultural activities available. I guess I am just a "phony".
Yes, actually, you are a phony, to those who define "phony" as anybody not born into a fifth-generation Colorado ranch/farm family who still work the land and haven't joined some profession and/or city, despite the economically non-viability of that for 85% of the children/grandchildren/greatgrandchildren of such early homesteaders from the 1920's or so and continuing through present day. Virtually all of us are "phonies" to a particular type of Colorado nativist, including the nativist him/herself if they'd see themselves for what they are, which they won't.

As for Steamboat, it has an interesting balance of authentic Colorado/western history (which can manifest itself as snobbery) with a healthy dose of generic upscale ski-resort town vibe (which can also manifest itself as snobbery). It is not unlike Jackson WY in that sense. Most of the other Colorado mountain "towns" have little or no actual history before the ski thing got going in the mid-20th century, including the Aspens, Vails, etc. Steamboat is a place that would still exist without their ski mountain, it would just have several hundred (thousand?) fewer million dollar vacation/ski homes.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM

20 posts, read 64,783 times
Thanks for all of the thoughts and opinions. Cold weather certainly doesn't bother me. I, too, would much rather have a cold winter than a hot summer. I also don't think the town's "wealth" would be bothersome, either. I've lived in resort towns before and have lived very cheaply. The isolation also isn't a problem for me. I can never find a reason to go into the big city, anyway, since being close to the mountains and outdoor activities is priority number one.

I've also lived in very crime-ridden areas outside of Colorado (because the cheapness tempted me) and unfortunately paid the consequences. Since those experiences, another high priority is living in a nice area of town with a relatively low crime rate -- touristy or not.

My ONLY hesitation about Steamboat is the lack of job opportunities for me. It's my boyfriend's job that would be providing the transfer and his pay would be great. I'm just afraid all my work would have to be seasonal (EMT positions) and I would love to do ski patrol, but I'm also afraid that I wouldn't be able to build up any substantial income due to the nature of the work.

Fort Collins on the other hand, is also an option for us. It would provide fantastic job opportunities for me, but I'm afraid that the outdoor activities that I love so much would lack accessibility, being in a larger city (although the size is so much nicer than Denver Metro Area). It's also more dry than Steamboat which is only a slight let down.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:39 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,498,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansan View Post

My ONLY hesitation about Steamboat is the lack of job opportunities for me. It's my boyfriend's job that would be providing the transfer and his pay would be great. I'm just afraid all my work would have to be seasonal (EMT positions) and I would love to do ski patrol, but I'm also afraid that I wouldn't be able to build up any substantial income due to the nature of the work.
It depends on what you are willing to do. If you are up for working a lot in the winter and summer and having 2-3 jobs, with more time off in spring and fall, you can do quite well. You might for instance combine part time EMT with working as a server at a restaurant.

The problem people run into with these towns is most are not willing to go with the flow of the seasons and multi task.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:31 PM

20 posts, read 64,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
It depends on what you are willing to do. If you are up for working a lot in the winter and summer and having 2-3 jobs, with more time off in spring and fall, you can do quite well. You might for instance combine part time EMT with working as a server at a restaurant.

The problem people run into with these towns is most are not willing to go with the flow of the seasons and multi task.

It's good to know that it's not such an unusual thing to have multiple jobs. I would actually prefer to have multiple jobs part-time -- it keeps things interesting and keeps me occupied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado