Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 02:29 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times

Advertisements

Considering retiring to CO and, after elections, I am wondering if CO is becoming like CAL? Wasn't CO considered a moderate state? I can't help but notice the MJ law, the change in the state legislator houses both DEM now , the promise to pass same sex marriage, and high cost of living. I also noticed that Denver area, except for Douglas Cty, went all Obama. Is CO now pretty much a given DEM state from now on with the influx of Hispanics and progressives? PLEASE, I am not judging, just trying to learn. If I am wrong, please correct me. Thanks, :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2012, 02:58 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,688,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
I can't help but notice the MJ law, the change in the state legislator houses both DEM now , the promise to pass same sex marriage, and high cost of living.... Is CO now pretty much a given DEM state from now on with the influx of Hispanics and progressives? PLEASE, I am not judging, just trying to learn. If I am wrong, please correct me. Thanks, :-)
Sounds like judgment to me. Colorado is Colorado. If you don't like the direction it's taking, consider somewhere else. Sounds like the south might suit you well.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
The premise of this thread is bogus.

A slight DEM majority in voting this year does not mean COLO is CA-light, or OR-light, or WA-light, or OH-light, or MI-lite, or IA-light, or.....

Same sex marriage is happening in a lot of states (with more every year) as is legalization of MJ (with more every year until we reach Federal-level legalization). I assure you that gays, hispanics and MJ are to be found in all states, so consider moving to COLO if the climate, prices, low taxes, scenery, culture and other factors lead you in that direction. Basing it on politics, race and social issues may lead you to a skewed conclusion; define what makes you happy and move here if COLO provides it.

COLO is known for being a live and let state where we all just get along.....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM

459 posts, read 807,709 times
Yes we are having a lot of hispanics and progressives moving in. We are also having evangelical Republicans moving in from the bible belt to offset the liberals. If you look at the voter registration rolls you will still see slightly more Republicans than Democrats. You will also see that our electorate is almost evenly divided in thirds between the Republicans, Democrats, and Independents.

It's the independents shifting one way or the other. A lot of our independents are fiscally conservative and socially liberal. With TABOR it's tough to be a 'tax and spend liberal' at the state level in Colorado, so most of those independents had no problem voting to shift control of the legislature after the crap the Republicans pulled to block civil unions. Those independents also are more likely to support Marijuana legalization. I think most of those independents also did not buy that Romney's economic plan added up so they had no problem voting for someone that they agreed with on the other issues.

We are far from being at a permanent democratic majority in this state. I know the demographic trends favor that occurring nationally assuming Republicans do not alter their message to appeal to new demographics. But IMO we are not there yet in Colorado, and the Republicans have a shot if they can put out candidates that appeal to our Independent voters.

Last edited by robertgoodman; 11-09-2012 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,459,644 times
One thing that happened in California that I hope Colorado follows is how the state grew. For the longest time most of the population was in northern California then southern California took off and now is much larger. I am hoping the same thing happens here as I would love southern Colorado (the Colorado Springs MSA and the Pueblo MSA) to just grow and devlop into one large CSA (Pueblo/ Springs CSA) that is larger then the Denver CSA.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:48 PM

2,140 posts, read 6,468,862 times
I think it voted this way because it _is_ moderate!

Old 11-09-2012, 03:58 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,859,019 times
Thanks for the comments. I went to Wiki to learn about TABOR. I DO like that. I am a fiscal conservative and socially moderate. I don't have problems with Gay Civil Unions and abortion in limited situations. I am just trying to understand from the election what CO is about. I voted for BHO in 08, voted for Romney on Tues. I am NOT a James Dobson fan as I know about CO Springs. As I said, just trying to educate myself. Thank you!

Old 11-09-2012, 04:07 PM

2,309 posts, read 4,383,992 times
Go out to Logan or Yuma counties and say that Colorado is Cal-lite and see if you get out alive.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:29 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,870,986 times
Contrary to what people think, DENVER is not all of Colorado. Might want to visit first.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:02 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
I've lived in both. Colorado is way more Libertarian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado