U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:05 AM

15 posts, read 10,025 times

Advertisements

Please bare with me while I try to make sense. I'm very mindset about moving to Colorado just looking for the right direction. I'm 27, single and have been a machinist for the past 6 years. Here is a quick list of what would make my paradise.

1. Snow, A LOT of snow.
2. Scenery, snow capped mountains and big forests.
3. Small town, country setting with a lot of privacy.
4. Decent cost of living.
5. Nice people.
6. Snowmobiling.

Hopefully this doesn't sound too far-fetched and there is a place. I've done a tiny bit of research and Woodland Park popped up. Any suggestions and help will be appreciated.

Last edited by Shane84; 11-15-2012 at 12:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 04:11 AM

2,939 posts, read 7,301,406 times
Woodland park is a tad pricey, and you're not likely to find a job in your field up there. But everything else, sure.

Last edited by ryanek9freak; 11-15-2012 at 04:43 AM..

Old 11-15-2012, 11:32 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,774,765 times
As is the case of most of these "dream lists," they contain a lot mutually exclusive wants that one simply will not find in one Colorado place. If the OP has to have everything on the list, two words: not possible.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
As is the case of most of these "dream lists," they contain a lot mutually exclusive wants that one simply will not find in one Colorado place. If the OP has to have everything on the list, two words: not possible.
If I had to narrow down my list I would choose lots of snow and scenery.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,774,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane84 View Post
If I had to narrow down my list I would choose lots of snow and scenery.
The people who do that are usually the ones who only last a year or two until their savings run out. Typically, the "dream" spots that people visualize in Colorado are the ones with highest living costs and least amount of jobs that pay a living wage. Just that simple. There is a reason that most Coloradans live in the metropolitan blobs with all of the problems of any major metro area--it's where they can make a living.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:58 PM

825 posts, read 1,603,373 times
As much as I like Woodland Park (small town) and respect its proximity to Colorado Springs (where the jobs are), it does not seem to me to really qualify for the "lots of snow" part. I realize it is all relative, but there is a reason the nearest ski resort is two hours away. There apparently are snowmobile rentals and, in fact, my next door neighbor has a snowmobile, but how often they can ride and how far they have to go is unknown to me. I will say that at my place (s.w. Teller Co.) we could snowmobile maybe a dozen days a year.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Jazz is right.....I can't foresee any machinist jobs in the expensive high-country snowy and scenic areas. IMO that is the item on your list that needs to come off. You can live along the Front Range (Fort Collins to Pueblo) where you might find a job, and then see the mountains in the distance and drive an hour or two to enjoy the snow. Colorado Springs and Golden are smack up against the mountains.

Do a search on craigslist for those jobs and see what's available, i.e., a few in the Denver area, and even one in Rock Springs, WY which is a small town that may appeal to you and your list.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:34 PM

I am not necessarily looking for a machinist position.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane84 View Post
I am not necessarily looking for a machinist position.
If you're up for an adventure, look at the Ski Bum thread, it's all about living and working in the resort towns where you'll get your list, but most likely not very low cost unless you room with other resort workers.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:08 PM

3,793 posts, read 3,979,716 times
You could probably make somewhere in Woodland Park work. if it is too pricey or too city for you, maybe get a place out around Divide.

For what you want, I'd think you might also want to look at Gunnison or Pagosa Springs. If they are too expensive, maybe Idaho Springs or Georgetown. Or Fairplay, Palmer Lake, Del Norte or Meeker. Or Sarasota WY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado