U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 06:14 PM

66 posts, read 114,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
If you really meant no offense, then you wouldn't have used that terminology to describe the people of Oregon. Although your words are more humorous than offensive, your intention to offend is there for all to see.
For real? "Nutty Crunchy" is offensive? I have family and friends who refer to THEMSELVES as "Nutty Crunchy". Brother.

My "intention to offend" is there for all to see? Like how?

David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
Thank you, Cosmic! I was just going to say that I'm slightly offended! While I don't believe in total PC, I find this generalization wrong, at best. I'd prefer not to have people with this type of attitude moving into my fine city!
Yes, getting offended by the term "Nutty Crunchy" is just about the definition of "total PC" as you call it. You don't want me in your town because I used this funny little phrase? How completely intolerant. I'm sure this isn't representative of the general attitude of people in your city.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:55 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
For real? "Nutty Crunchy" is offensive? I have family and friends who refer to THEMSELVES as "Nutty Crunchy". Brother.

David
I wouldn't worry about offending anyone because that is on them. Oregon is a lefty nutty crunchy wishy washy greenie weenie with a dour, monotone populace. I'm sure redeeming qualities can be found there, but so far I have not been impressed.

Sounds like you should probably visit Colorado to gain context on the state and how everything is situated. That might be a good start before proceeding further. I'd recommend visiting in winter.

Old 12-19-2012, 02:29 AM

5 posts, read 7,150 times
That is such a wonderful place, aloof.If I can, I would like to live in such a place.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
I wouldn't worry about offending anyone because that is on them. Oregon is a lefty nutty crunchy wishy washy greenie weenie with a dour, monotone populace. I'm sure redeeming qualities can be found there, but so far I have not been impressed.

Sounds like you should probably visit Colorado to gain context on the state and how everything is situated. That might be a good start before proceeding further. I'd recommend visiting in winter.
Oregon has the granola-cruncher stereotype, but that ignores that ranching and logging are still major industries in a large area of the state. As is typical of many western states, the Orergon stereotype comes from the large metropolitan areas and the resort ghettos--where most of the people are non-natives from someplace else (in Oregon's case, read "California"). Most Oregon natives that I know are moderate conservatives with a conservationist bent, much like me. But, most of the Oregonians that I know hail from the rural parts of the state where ranching and agriculture are the major industries.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,421,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db4570 View Post
Yes, getting offended by the term "Nutty Crunchy" is just about the definition of "total PC" as you call it. You don't want me in your town because I used this funny little phrase? How completely intolerant. I'm sure this isn't representative of the general attitude of people in your city.
I think you misinterpreted what I said. I find it offensive because you are making stark generalizations about a place you know nothing of. That's all. I could care less if you think I'm nutty crunchy. I tend to be crunchy. It's the overt generalization of Oregon that's slightly offensive.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:40 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
db4570 wrote:For real? "Nutty Crunchy" is offensive? I have family and friends who refer to THEMSELVES as "Nutty Crunchy". Brother.

The point of my post was to refute your assertion that you meant no offense. Obviously you thought that some people would be offended or you wouldn't have taken the time to tell us that you meant no offense. I also said that I thought your terminology was more humorous than offensive. Anyone who might fit into the sweeping generalizations you made is probably laughing their head off at your silly terminology.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:11 PM

892 posts, read 1,838,836 times
Black Hawk & Central City & the surrounding areas have many reasonably priced homes with great views, isolated enough to feel like you are out of the hustle & bustle but with city water/sewer/electric and close enough proximity to Denver for the airport and such. I've been looking @ properties up there and its rural enough without the issues of finding water and utilities.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:10 PM

Yeah, I had been to Central City about ten years ago, and it was cool. I have poked around there a little on Zillow, and will spend more time doing so. It seems like it's about the level of remoteness I want, and the prices seemed reasonable, as you said.

It is on my list of places to check out when I go out there on a recce.

Thanks!

David

Old 12-26-2012, 07:10 PM

2,697 posts, read 4,633,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Oregon has the granola-cruncher stereotype, but that ignores that ranching and logging are still major industries in a large area of the state. As is typical of many western states, the Orergon stereotype comes from the large metropolitan areas and the resort ghettos--where most of the people are non-natives from someplace else (in Oregon's case, read "California"). Most Oregon natives that I know are moderate conservatives with a conservationist bent, much like me. But, most of the Oregonians that I know hail from the rural parts of the state where ranching and agriculture are the major industries.
Grew up in a ranching area in the Willamette Valley. Went to Oregon State (also went to CU, go Buffs!). Father owns a tree farm. Brother owns a ranch. I sacked grass seed and moved pipe during high school around a town of less than 1,000 people. Now that I've established my bona fides, I don't think anyone should take your portrayal of Oregon seriously.

a) There is only one 'large metropolitan area': Portland. Salem and Eugene are hopped up towns. Corvallis, which is considered LARGE, is about 50,000.

b) Politics in Oregon is mostly left-ish of center by national standards, even in the Valley outside the large metropolitan areas that don't exist and the 'resort ghettoes' (Sun River? not sure exactly what resorts you're talking about here-Oregon is not exactly a resort type of place).

c) There's not really a huge amount of prejudice against 'non-natives' remaining in Oregon unless it has returned since I left. Haven't seen it on my frequent visits back home to see family, though. There was a little against Californians in the 1980s, but it had more to do with them selling their houses for a lot of money, then moving into Oregon and causing rents and prices to inflate by buying at much higher prices than had been the norm-not because we truly disliked them or thought they were twisting the state.

d) We fairly quickly got over the California thing because we sure liked taking their money for other stuff, like groceries and gas and clothes, though. Now they're part of the state, and completely entitled to be there. Just like people moving to Colorado who aren't sixth generation natives are also entitled, and maybe shouldn't keep getting a hard time from people who can't let go of a past that isn't coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or