U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 05:39 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times

Advertisements

I can't give you a good reason not to move to Colorado, we've moved away three times only to continually return. For me the good out weighs the bad and I enjoy living here.

Plan, save your money and make it happen. Only you can decide if its a place you want to remain and if you don't move here its a choice you will never be able to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 06:44 PM

122 posts, read 174,135 times
Nobody's mentioned the looming threat of water shortages next year if we don't get enough snow this winter?

The salary vs. cost of living situation has already been covered, so to sum it up, if there's more to you in life than money, and you're okay with the very real possibility of having to ration water (and aren't one of those pretentious idiots who insists on having an irrigated lawn) then I say go for it!

If your into outdoor activities, I suggest heading for the mountains ASAP immediately upon moving here to experience them while they're still scenic and enjoyable. I say this because the pine beetle has ravaged the mountains in this state, and at this point the only cure for this calamity is an exceedingly harsh winter (staggeringly unlikely given current climate trends) and/or the bug being burnt out by forest fire.

The latter has a pretty high likelihood of occurring, but it also has the unfortunate side-effect of turning half the state into a charred wasteland. I'm sure the subsequent impact on snow pack (i.e. water supplies) would also be less than ideal, but jazzlover could go into a lot more detail on that last point than I ever could.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM

14,491 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
Pueblo, 'nuff said. (cheap shot, I know)
No, just an ignorant comment as I come to expect from you.

As you were feeding the trolls.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:54 PM

51 posts, read 130,034 times
Okay, here's one:

Baking at high altitudes can be tricky. I've been here for almost 4 months, and I haven't had much success baking brownies (from a boxed mix). I follow the high-altitude directions, and they just don't turn out.

Someone recently told me to just follow the normal directions, so I plan to do that next time. But baking cookies from scratch (following the high-altitude directions) has been a huge success, so maybe that's the trick.....don't use boxed mixes!

Old 11-19-2012, 08:09 PM

5,682 posts, read 9,417,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antares45 View Post
Nobody's mentioned the looming threat of water shortages next year if we don't get enough snow this winter?
People have been saying that throughout the Southwest for decades, and I never noticed anything the entire time I lived in Colorado.

Old 11-19-2012, 09:57 PM

14,491 posts, read 22,337,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel More View Post
Here is the deal. I plan on moving to Colorado from Ohio early next year with a family member.
With A family member? Why? Why would you move here with "a" family member? Do you have other family and/or friends here? Why would you leave behind what you have in Ohio? Yellowstone is a great place to visit. Everywhere is a great place to visit. Travel is one of the best educations there is, especially if you are young.

But are you planning a migration? Running from something? I think you should be asking yourself some basic questions rather than appealing to us to talk you out of something.

But if advice is what you want, give us something more to go on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel More View Post
I do love outdoor activities, one thing I love is hiking(can't do that in many places in Ohio) and the big draw of Denver is bike trails!...I plan on living close to/in the city.
Well ok. There's something to go on. Denver's mountains just to the west have many opportunities for vertical hiking/biking etc. The Denver Metro also has (from what I remember when I lived there) a very expansive bike trail system and if it's single bike path vertical you're after, you've got Mount Falcon, Burgens Peak, etc. and Eldorado Canyon near Boulder for world class climbing and hiking all over the place.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:44 AM

13 posts, read 51,643 times
Link to my first post

So I first came on these forums in the moving section asking for advice to help me plan to move. This is the posting, someone recommended that I post in the Denver/Colorado forums asking about financial surprises, which gave me the Idea to create this post.

Quote:
With A family member? Why? Why would you move here with "a" family member? Do you have other family and/or friends here? Why would you leave behind what you have in Ohio? Yellowstone is a great place to visit. Everywhere is a great place to visit. Travel is one of the best educations there is, especially if you are young.

But are you planning a migration? Running from something? I think you should be asking yourself some basic questions rather than appealing to us to talk you out of something.
Yes a family member. Let me be more specific, my adopted Uncle(we are only 6 years apart). We have been best friends since I was little. At the moment we live at home with my mother, our grandparents and my little brother(12). We decided awhile ago that it would be a good idea financially and otherwise to move out together. We aren't running away from anything or anyone for that matter. This is what I wrote on my other post - "..we are moving for good reasons. We aren't moving to get away from a bad environment or because we think it will help us change the way we are. We aren't depressed where we are living now, we just really love the idea of moving there. We believe that the lifestyle there fits ours so perfectly."

As for more to go on, I said a lot on my first post, perhaps that could help. However, the Idea of this thread wasn't to actually convince me not to move, the title was mostly to generate views. I want to move to Colorado, so does my Uncle. The real idea of the thread was to find information I couldn't get online through research. To get information from locals or people that know information first hand that I wouldn't realize until I got there.

I never considered baking at higher altitudes to have an effect on the outcome, very interesting. :P

Quote:

The salary vs. cost of living situation has already been covered, so to sum it up, if there's more to you in life than money, and you're okay with the very real possibility of having to ration water (and aren't one of those pretentious idiots who insists on having an irrigated lawn) then I say go for it!

If your into outdoor activities, I suggest heading for the mountains ASAP immediately upon moving here to experience them while they're still scenic and enjoyable. I say this because the pine beetle has ravaged the mountains in this state, and at this point the only cure for this calamity is an exceedingly harsh winter (staggeringly unlikely given current climate trends) and/or the bug being burnt out by forest fire.

The latter has a pretty high likelihood of occurring, but it also has the unfortunate side-effect of turning half the state into a charred wasteland. I'm sure the subsequent impact on snow pack (i.e. water supplies) would also be less than ideal, but jazzlover could go into a lot more detail on that last point than I ever could.
Yes, I remember having discussions with our tour guide while we were there talking about most of those points, they all seem troublesome indeed. They didn't bring up the water shortage issue. That issue seems to have a lot of back and forth on the Colorado forums, people saying it will happen and as 80skeys said, the speculation has been going on for decades in the southwest. I don't know how I feel about it to be honest. Also, no I am money isn't more important to life in my eyes, I probably won't have a lawn either, I'd prefer visiting local parks anyhow.

Thanks for the Responses everyone, they have all been informative in one way or another.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 AM

666 posts, read 1,036,791 times
Whatever the reason you're moving, I don't see how it's anyone's business to question it.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:05 AM

22 posts, read 46,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
Whatever the reason you're moving, I don't see how it's anyone's business to question it.
+1. That line of questioning personally irritated me. The poster came here for help, not to be questioned.

To the OP:

I was raised in Ohio/Virginia and moved out here a few months ago (May 2012) after several years of trying to find a job. I got a contract job in downtown Denver before getting a permanent job in Boulder. I'm from the Washington, DC area and will say Denver's traffic is heavy, but not terrible. DC is terrible.

I hike several times a week, ride my bike, and will now start boarding every weekend. If you're from a smaller town, I would look a bit West/NW of Denver. You'll find the population to thin out a bit and also get you closer to the mountains. Boulder proper is very expensive, but areas like Arvada/Broomfield/Golden/Erie are relatively affordable and give you a reasonable commute to multiple nearby areas.

To answer your question: Any of the negatives I've experienced have been relatively minor.

Drivers here stink. Every person says that in every city, but people out here seem all over the place.

Dry; I personally like the dry air, but as the fall has started shifting to winter, I've had more congestion than normal.

Apartments; I'm picky and this is minor, but I looked at 18 apartments before I moved here (flew out two weeks prior to move date) and the consistent thing about them all is the layouts stink. Could just be my problem, but I eventually got one with a garage for storage b/c half my furniture wasn't useful. A lot of places have these built-in ridiculously stupid shelving/tv/fireplace get ups which take up a whole wall and only fit a 25'' TV. Again, minor and probably more likely to only affect me or the minority of tenants.

I want to live in the mountains but so far I've found few, if any, professional jobs up there and its cost prohibitive.

Cost of living is high. Again, I'm from DC so I'm used to that, but I did live in two small college towns for 8 years and for someone coming from a small town, it may be higher than you anticipate.

I feel like I have to say that pointing out these negatives just feels wrong. This place is so amazing. If I made a proper list of good and bad, the good would outweigh the bad 10:1.

Last edited by MadeItToColorado; 11-20-2012 at 09:08 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 11-20-2012, 12:27 PM

811 posts, read 1,223,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allprolab View Post
+2.

Which leads me to the only "negative" I'd gently make about living in Colorado after spending 14 of the past 16 years here, and roughly 70% of my adult life: a smallish segment of the native-born-raised-here folks who still live here will blame you (and your ilk) for many if not all of their perceived problems. My spouse and several of my closest friends are among the native-born-raised-here folks, so I do not lump ALL of them into this negative category, only a smallish segment, though you'll never be entirely rid of them. Like mosquitos in a dry climate they are here, you'll notice them, they will likely irritate you a bit, especially if you're sensitive, but they don't exist in sufficient numbers to stay away, unless one with the wrong virus sets its sights on you.

Virtually everything else about my experience in Colorado realistically exceeds even the highest hopes I dreamed about as a young man seeking a better place, like every generation of American did before me. I cheer you on. Moving to another region is a quintessentially American thing to do. Freedom. Use it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or