U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 10:49 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,877,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
In addition to the Bronco's, there are large college teams in Boulder and Fort Collins, not to mention at the USAF Academy in COLO SPGS. And it's not all that far of a drive up to Laramie, WY to see the Univ of WY Cowboys play.
I am not sure that CU, CSU, or Wyoming really "play" football. They could be three of the worst college football teams in the country. Especially CU. I have never seen a college team that bad. Ever.

I am pretty sure that some high school teams in California, Pennsylvania, Texas and Florida could beat CU this year.

OTH CSU-Pueblo is an awesome DII team and UNC is actually making strides.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 10:51 AM

20,824 posts, read 39,026,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
I am not sure that CU, CSU, or Wyoming really "play" football. They could be three of the worst college football teams in the country. Especially CU. I have never seen a college team that bad. Ever.

I am pretty sure that some high school teams in California, Pennsylvania, Texas and Florida could beat CU this year.

OTH CSU-Pueblo is an awesome DII team and UNC is actually making strides.
Yes, but most of the fun is in being there, tailgating, and win or lose, we're only here for the beer....
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,571,714 times
Quote:
I would disagree with Colorado being the massacre capital of the US. Three high profile incidents (with the latest perpetrated by an individual who lived here about a year) does not make us the worst. I think Colorado has such a good reputation for being a great place to live, that when incidents like this happen, people are shocked. When it happens in California (8 mass killings in the last 30 years), people don't bat an eye. There are a few states that have experienced 3 or more mass killings including: Wisconsin, Texas, Florida, and Washington. Check out Mother Jones' map of mass shootings.
I think a couple of distinctions help Colorado remain the massacre capital. On raw numbers, Colorado has a 1:1.7M massacre rate while California has a 1:5M massacre rate with your number. I use that to conclude that Colorado is the worst by >2x.

We could play with that. Exclude disgruntled employees or exclude people over age 25, which essentially leaves children as murderers, then the numbers for Colorado become really alarming. Perhaps, attribute the Sikh temple massacre to Colorado because his seed of hate was planted here.

I think Holmes changed everything. Arizona can say that Loughner was crazy despite the fact that Gifford's staff seemed to have incited his anger. But Holmes was an ideal kid. To make it worse, the response was a culture wide refusal to say his name.

In my opinion, that reaction displays two things about Colorado: a narcissism because the assumption is a belief that a kid destroyed his life for the attention of Coloradans and denial because people have behaved so far out of the norm but there's no soul searching going on.

Quote:
...we might be less likely to call the police regarding suspicious behavior. We can speculate all day long, but there are too few incidents to create a reliable profile for motives.
Reliable to whose standards? Law enforcement to profile or people who are considering relocating?

The police were called on Holmes. The school was aware of the Columbine kids. And I think that the Sikh temple shooter had been investigated by the FBI. Except for the missionary, I think that "live and let live" applies only to one of them.

Quote:
As for suicide, Colorado ranked 6th in this list of 2009 statistics. Interestingly, all of the top ten states were sparsely populated western states. Maybe that has something to do with it. Maybe it is the individualist, "rugged man" mindset that keeps people from opening up or seeking help. It is definitely worth studying.
I'm just referring to the anomaly of the trend line. However, I think that if one were to consider the reaction of the mainstream as cited above, one would follow a trail to the people from whom help might be sought, but that's strictly opinion.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 11-22-2012 at 12:43 PM..

Old 11-22-2012, 03:52 PM

13 posts, read 51,588 times
Thanks for the responses everyone. However, the subject of suicide doesn't need to continue.

So far I haven't read anything that can alter my views of moving to Colorado. Someone said vacationing is different than living there and I couldn't agree more. I do believe though, from research that it is the right fit for me and my Uncle and the cost of living issue isn't as intimidating when there is two of us supporting eachother. As for the dry climate I felt better when I was there, humidity kicks my arse everyday in Ohio, so living someone as dry as there is a huge refresher, I will have to see how it affects my Uncle.

Thanks for the responses again, everyone.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:11 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,877,725 times
Last ditch effort:

A. We have several large men stationed at the border waiting to refuse entrance to our state to anyone who cannot correctly pronounce Colorado.

B.

This is what we do to people from Ohio when they come here.

Be grateful. This is better than

what we do to Kansas Citians who wander into our fair state.

We've turned back people trying to invade our state before.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:17 AM

9,137 posts, read 5,447,582 times
Default Great attitude

Nickel, you have the kind of great attitude and outlook on life that will accomplish much for you. Go to Colorado. Live your dream. Is it expensive--yes. Will you find things you won't like-- yes. But with your positive attitude you'll find much to give you great satisfaction.

People usually find what they're looking for, whether good or bad.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:47 AM

215 posts, read 709,721 times
Quote:
How about:

Low salaries compared to the cost of living.

Limited job opportunities in mountain towns.

Poor air quality in the winter.

Lack of a major league baseball team (Rockies are making the Cubs look like the Yankees).

Dry climate = lots of lotion.

Colorado has a relatively high:
- suicide rate
- skin cancer rate
- MS rate

Just when a Colorado company gets to be good, an out-of-state corporation buys them.

Pueblo, 'nuff said. (cheap shot, I know)

Bad drivers.

Traffic on I-70 in the mountains.

We will be in the first wave of cities destroyed in a nuclear holocaust.

No statewide zombie apocalypse contingency plan.

You can never tell which star is ours on the American Flag.
You just made Denver sound so much better than my home town of New York City.

I don't like sports so the baseball team thing is fine with me, and I can deal with living in a smaller city since I've done it before. I once lived in Durango, which I referred to as South Park, since that show takes place in a "small Colorado mountain town." Anything bigger than that will be perfectly fine with me.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:49 AM

215 posts, read 709,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel More View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone. However, the subject of suicide doesn't need to continue.

So far I haven't read anything that can alter my views of moving to Colorado. Someone said vacationing is different than living there and I couldn't agree more. I do believe though, from research that it is the right fit for me and my Uncle and the cost of living issue isn't as intimidating when there is two of us supporting eachother. As for the dry climate I felt better when I was there, humidity kicks my arse everyday in Ohio, so living someone as dry as there is a huge refresher, I will have to see how it affects my Uncle.

Thanks for the responses again, everyone.

I lived in Durango for a year, which is a thousand feet higher than Denver. Just drink more water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I think that's part of it, these guys who won't let anyone help them, as if it's a sign of weakness, and heaven knows, that rugged "marlboro man" self-reliant self-image would never wimp out and seek help. IMO there's a companion issue here, which is that a lot of unhappy people keep moving west, hoping to find some sort of promised land or happy place, but wherever you go - there you are - and whatever problems you had - are right there with you when you arrive. So when they get to the west coast, and there's nowhere further west they can run to, and they're still morbidly unhappy, they often end their life. I know a guy in another forum, hates everything, trusts no one, anxiously awaiting the day he can get to Alaska where everything is perfect. If he ever makes it to Alaska, he won't be coming back....
Alaska has a reputation for people like your friend relocating there. You're right. You can't run from your problems (unless it's the mob chasing you) if you're problems are about who and what you are as opposed to your environment.

Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,638,611 times
I'll try to give you my most honest, unbiased response. I moved to Denver in 2008 from Metro Detroit. As you can imagine, it was a giant improvement compared to what I was used to in my blue collar town. Denver is absolutely gorgeous and well-maintained for the most part. People talk about rough areas of the city and I just chuckle.

The weather is great compared to the Midwest. It's much dryer and milder throughout the year, though you will inevitably get blasted by sub-0 temps, hail storms, and blizzards from time to time. Summers have been very hot in the most recent years as well. Most of July and August will be 90+ degrees. Dry heat or not, it's not always pleasant. And as others have said, you will go through plenty of lip balm and skin lotion. Otherwise, it is a great improvement over what you're used to in the Midwest. Just remember to stay hydrated.

The job market in Denver is, IMO, so-so. I guess it ultimately depends what field you're in. If you're an engineer or in the medical field, it seems like you'll likely do well. There are a lot of hospitals and defense firms in the metro area, as well as plenty of IT companies in and around Boulder. If money is not big on your list, there are plenty of subpar service jobs you can find around town such as tending bar, serving, hospitality, etc.

The housing situation in Denver has significantly gone down hill IMO since I moved there in 2008. In Denver proper, most modest homes easily go for $250k+ unless you find a nice foreclosure that isn't completely gutted. In some areas, such as Five Points, you can get a steal on a house, but quite often they were used as old drug houses. However, the area is being gentrified so to speak. Rents have shot up significantly as well due to the housing crisis and tons of young professionals moving here from out of state. Be prepared to drop at least $850/month on a small, modern 1-BR in the city, and $750+ in the burbs.

If you're outdoorsy, this is your paradise. There is tons to do in terms of camping, hiking, cycling, mountain biking, horseback riding, skiing, snowboarding, etc. That is what I'll miss most if I end up moving back to Michigan.

If you like beer, Denver is sort of a mecca for micro-brews. There are plenty of breweries in the metro area that you can usually visit and sample some of their batches. I think Colorado might be the 2nd state in terms of beer production, behind Oregon possibly. But I could be wrong about that. Bottom line is if you like beer, you will find plenty of it here.

The COL in Denver is much higher than the salaries here. I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that Denver was not prepared for the sharp influx of people moving there in the last five years. As a result, the demand/cost of real estate and other living expenses have increased significantly in comparison to salaries. Denver has quickly become, IMO, the Chicago of the Mountain West.

Traffic has gotten significantly worse since I moved there in 2008. Again, I think a lot of it has to do with the number of young people moving here looking for a laid back lifestyle and jobs. Not sure if that bothers you, but be prepared for long commutes, especially during the winters when all the ski bums are out and about.

Denver is a big league sports town. They have teams in all of the major sports leagues such as the NFL (Broncos), NHL (Avalanche), MLB (Rockies), and NBA (Nuggets). They also just brought in a new minor league hockey team called the Denver Cutthroats. There is plenty of college sports with CU and CSU, though it's not quite as big as the Big-10 if that's what you're used to. Maybe down the road that will happen since CU was absorbed into the Pac-10. Believe it or not, my favorite sports experience in Denver is going to the Colorado Mammoth lacrosse games at the Pepsi Center. It is such an energetic atmosphere. If you are a sport fanatic of any kind, you will likely find what you're looking for in Denver.

I want to bring up job opportunities again, because as a fellow non-native, I feel like there is some light I can shed on it. Coloradans are extremely proud of their "native-ness" if you will. You'll see what I mean if you move there. That said, I have minor suspicions that there is a sense of protectionism that local businesses carry out. What I mean, is that it might seem to you that it's rather difficult for you to get a job from a Denver-based company. Is it because businesses are all about hiring CU, CSU, and DU grads? I don't know. What I do know is that the last and only two jobs I've had in Denver were Chicago-based (Midwest) firms that just happened to have regional offices/clients. This is pure conjecture, but you might feel a bit left out of the job market due to your lack of being a native.

The people in Denver are generally friendly, but IMO, it's a shallow friendliness. You'll likely meet a lot of young people just like yourself who enjoy the same activities. But what I always struggled with is making meaningful relationships. I have enjoyed plenty of parties, happy hours, and meetups in Denver, don't get me wrong. But in the four and half years I was there, I only made one decent friend, and even that was a stretch. People there are definitely friendly and down to party, but if having meaningful relationships is important to you, you have been warned that this might not come easy. Since you're moving with a family member there, it might not be as hard on you. This is partially the reason I'm considering moving back to MI though.

Hopefully this summary of Denver helps with your decision to relocate. If I think of more, I'll try adding to this post or to the thread. Best of luck to you in your potential move. If you end up in Denver, I'm sure you'll like a lot of what it has to offer.

Last edited by Tekkie; 01-04-2013 at 01:50 PM..

Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,016,268 times
Wink On a natural note

This could be an interesting year to move to Denver, with quite possibly a front row seat to view unprecedented water restrictions and massive wildfires.

Or, maybe not. But if this "winter" mimics that last year—as it thus far seems inclined (and is forecasted to do by such as the National Weather Service)—then prepare for some interesting times. We went into last summer with full reservoirs; that will probably be anything but the case this summer, so certain water restrictions will not just be mandatory but necessary. There is still a wildfire burning in Rocky Mountain National Park, if just smoldering at this point under the snow, but the large wildfires of last year could well be but prelude.

Not to dissuade you, but when planning all sorts of great outdoor activities, also in consideration of the state of the environment within. This trend, as in less water and warmer temperatures, is unfortunately something only likely to become worse with time over decades. So a word to the wise: Colorado has a lot to offer, and in many places is very beautiful, but its natural environment is definitely changing (rather rapidly it seems). One could notice some stunning changes in Alaska and elsewhere, so perhaps more of a case of nowhere safe to flee on this planet. Although each scenario will be different. In some other locals the problem would not be ongoing drought but even above normal precipitation, or such as flooding. Therefore maybe one could choose the flavor of their natural disaster. Here, a lot of it will increasingly have to do with water, or lack thereof.

And, yes, one does need to adjust their kitchen recipes towards best outcome. Although in recompense possibly a lovely view out the window while cooking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or