Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 10:35 PM

13 posts, read 23,709 times

Advertisements

After an exhausting search to find a budget move to Denver, we've discovered leadville and are ecstatic about the town. I've read as much as I can of it, here and otherwise, but would like some more personalized results.

What's the feel of the town? She's lived in a small town long ago but we're both more familiar with city living.

What are the people like? Age wise and personality, are there a lot of students there with cmc? Planning on attending briefly.

We have found very reasonably priced monthly rentals there so we just plan on staying until mid summer or so.

What's the deal with the EPA superfund such and such?

I'll think of more as I go. We can't wait to live there, even briefly, for the views and bragging rights for being a mile higher than our next city

We are moving from out of state, currently residing at about a quarter mile above sea...so expecting some acclamation for the move. We were recently in Colorado for a couple weeks checking everything out, one week in Denver and another all over the mountains. We did very well the whole time due to homeopathy and water. How would a move affect us?

We ride bikes and walk a lot, how will the sudden elevation change affect aero exercise?

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-27-2013 at 12:00 PM.. Reason: Merged 2:1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 10:54 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,755,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreenb View Post
We are moving from out of state, currently residing at about a quarter mile above sea...so expecting some acclamation for the move. We were recently in Colorado for a couple weeks checking everything out, one week in Denver and another all over the mountains. We did very well the whole time due to homeopathy and water. How would a move affect us?

We ride bikes and walk a lot, how will the sudden elevation change affect aero exercise?
I would imagine that the altitude would have a very powerful effect. However, at 21, assuming you are in good health, you should acclimate. I think that Leadville is the highest town in the USA. I suspect there might be tourist jobs, but they might be seasonal. Winter would probably be nine months of the year up that high, which could be good or bad, depending upon your interests. Sounds like a fun adventure.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:28 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,925,232 times
Leadville is a small town that holds on to the past. It really retains it charm. I used to go through there a lot, not so much anymore, but most tourist type jobs will be in the summer, not that much winter activity. Probably some mining jobs still there, I believe Climax mine is still running at least on a limited basis. Like most places finding a decent job will be the biggest challenge.

As far as the altitude, you should be fine, I have lived higher. It takes a few days to get acclimated then a few months for your body to get used to the lack of oxygen, and still be able to do hard physical activity. Be prepared it is a cold place to live. Winters are lng and summers are cool.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:26 AM

529 posts, read 1,546,929 times
Leadville is a nice little mountain town with rich history. However there is not much to do there and it is a very small town. Did I mention it is small? Anyway other than tourist jobs, your best chance is to work at either a retail location there or possibly the airport. Altitude won't be an issue unless you are doing hard physical activity and have only been in Colorado for a few hours. Take a day or two to acclimate in Denver before you attempt any biking or hiking in the mountains.

If you're 21 then you may be very bored with the town very quickly. From my perspective there are not many young people there, and the CMC crowds usually spend time in the Ski towns nearby rather than Leadville itself. The winters there are long and cold but tolerable, and the summers are beautiful!! The access to the Sawatch range means more climbing and hiking opportunities than you could ever ask for with several nice lakes! Also Aspen is just a short drive away on HWY 82, a beautiful scenic drive.

However as I said the town is not much, and the drive to Denver in the winter is very long due to weather and ski traffic near Vail. I'm not trying to turn you away from living in Leadville, but thought you should know what to expect.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:31 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,055,148 times
Since you have never been to Leadville I can't stress strongly enough that you NEED to visit before you even consider moving there.

You said you were looking for somewhere affordable near Denver, Leadville is 2 hours to Denver in good weather over a couple mountain passes. Jobs are scarce, many commute an hour (again in good weather) to Vail or Breck to eek out a living and feed their families. If you don't have a job, don't move there. CMC is more of an amenity to the local area, not a destination for out of the area students.

There are plenty of other places to have bragging rights and pretty views where two 21 year olds can actually get a job rather than just wasting money on a move. Honestly visit first.

Old 01-27-2013, 08:21 AM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Default Data are your friends

Leadville - Dogmama50 is spot on. Visit first.

Population = 2700 and the closest town/city is Buena Vista which is 35 miles away. It has a population of 2100.

Elevation = 10 000 feet. Cooking pasta will take forever. Baking a cake is very difficult.

Unemployment rate = 8.4%
Unemployment Rate in Lake County, CO (COLAKE5URN) - FRED - St. Louis Fed

The median household income is $44,932

Old 01-27-2013, 08:33 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,166,492 times
You'll acclimate in a few days.

Alma Co at 10,354 ft is the highest city in the usa.

What does the OP intend to do for Money?

As for the super fund think, lead and other heavy metals and the acidic waters.

They have done a good job of cleaning up the river so it can support quadratic life.

What about CMC in the glenwood springs area?
it's cheaper and it offers more opportunities for work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I would imagine that the altitude would have a very powerful effect. However, at 21, assuming you are in good health, you should acclimate. I think that Leadville is the highest town in the USA. I suspect there might be tourist jobs, but they might be seasonal. Winter would probably be nine months of the year up that high, which could be good or bad, depending upon your interests. Sounds like a fun adventure.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:43 AM

Said we were thinking if Denver first, then changed the plan to live in leadvillr for a while first. We just want kind of an isolated break from everything to chill out together for a bit before moving to Denver. Hoping to get some retail/cashier/phone job that anyone can get, coming with enough to lice a bit.

What's this about Glenwood? Thanks for all the input!

Old 01-27-2013, 10:46 AM

Open of course to any other mountain towns similarly priced as leadville with a cmc campus.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:45 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
According to the Colorado Mountain College website, there are campuses in ten different communities around the state. Most of them are near ski areas, so cost of living will be high.

I suggest that you get a list of those areas, then do some forum searching. There have been extensive threads here on all ten of the locations. Then you can come back and ask some more specific questions.

My favorite, of course, is Buena Vista. Don't believe the posters here who will tell you that you need to be wealthy to live there. It is more affordable than Leadville. You can find some very nice rentals at a reasonable price in both Buena Vista and Salida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado