U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 AM
 
Location: Delaware, OH
13 posts, read 51,643 times
Reputation: 22

Advertisements

I visited Denver earlier this year on family vacation across the US stopping at Yellowstone and Yosemite, beautiful places, including Denver! Upon leaving the State I said to my family, "I'm moving here!" and I meant it.

Here is the deal. I plan on moving to Colorado from Ohio early next year with a family member. I'm making a plan, including our budget, ideal places, work, etc. What I want to know from Colorado residents, past or present, what could convince me not to move to that state?

(I mostly want to know so I can know what some bad things might be or if there is something that might actually turn me off of this state.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-19-2012, 11:24 AM
 
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
5,682 posts, read 9,417,164 times
Reputation: 2901
I wouldn't move there if you were real sensitive to dry air, or if for some reason you need to live near a large metropolis because Denver is basically a small city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 11:33 AM
 
Location: Littleton, CO
3,111 posts, read 4,881,407 times
Reputation: 5429
How about:

Low salaries compared to the cost of living.

Limited job opportunities in mountain towns.

Poor air quality in the winter.

Lack of a major league baseball team (Rockies are making the Cubs look like the Yankees).

Dry climate = lots of lotion.

Colorado has a relatively high:
- suicide rate
- skin cancer rate
- MS rate

Just when a Colorado company gets to be good, an out-of-state corporation buys them.

Pueblo, 'nuff said. (cheap shot, I know)

Bad drivers.

Traffic on I-70 in the mountains.

We will be in the first wave of cities destroyed in a nuclear holocaust.

No statewide zombie apocalypse contingency plan.

You can never tell which star is ours on the American Flag.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 12:48 PM
 
Location: Delaware, OH
13 posts, read 51,643 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
I wouldn't move there if you were real sensitive to dry air, or if for some reason you need to live near a large metropolis because Denver is basically a small city.
When I was there I noticed the air quality was amazing compared to the 100% humidity in Ohio.. ekk. I've lived in really small towns my whole life, I like the idea of a small city compared to a big one.

Quote:
Low salaries compared to the cost of living.

Limited job opportunities in mountain towns.

Poor air quality in the winter.

Lack of a major league baseball team (Rockies are making the Cubs look like the Yankees).

Dry climate = lots of lotion.

Colorado has a relatively high:
- suicide rate
- skin cancer rate
- MS rate

Just when a Colorado company gets to be good, an out-of-state corporation buys them.

Pueblo, 'nuff said. (cheap shot, I know)

Bad drivers.

Traffic on I-70 in the mountains.

We will be in the first wave of cities destroyed in a nuclear holocaust.

No statewide zombie apocalypse contingency plan.

You can never tell which star is ours on the American Flag.
I expected the CoL vs Salary, no big deal, I did the math. Not going to live in a mountain town or 'pueblo?!' lol. I absolutely detest Baseball. Football is the true american sport, in my opinion. I love using lotion, it's good for you anyhow.

I am a very patient driver and drive alternative routes a lot to avoid traffic when necessary. Also, it's america not a single frigging person knows how to drive anything! Haha.

Suicides are tragic and extremely confusing to me, however I don't see how it could affect me. Skin cancer makes since, but eating healthy has a big effect on contradicting cancer. Also, MS is so random to me, but in my opinion I believe genetics has more to do with environmental.

It's america, people love money, businesses will be bought out.

And I love these ones, lol. For one, a nuclear holocaust is more likely a few hundred miles west in SLC, Utah. Next, I'm ready for the Zombie Apocalypse. As for which star... it's the white one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 02:06 PM
 
2,514 posts, read 3,486,397 times
Reputation: 5069
You will be a smashing success in Denver. Love the sense of humor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 02:30 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Reputation: 7602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel More View Post
When I was there I noticed the air quality was amazing compared to the 100% humidity in Ohio.. ekk. I've lived in really small towns my whole life, I like the idea of a small city compared to a big one.
The Front Range is known for poor air quality at times especially in summer and in winter. When Denver has a bad air inversion day in winter it can be a thick fog or hazy enough you can't see the mountains. The constant wind in summer can kick up lots of dust from the prairie and again it can hang about or be blown about.

Yes someday when the fronts come through with wind, you can have some stunning days, but the air quality is not always amazing.

There is much less humidity, yes, but also a lot of people don't handle the dry air or thinner air well. You'll also have to deal with more wind than you are probably used to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 03:16 PM
 
Location: Colorado
4,308 posts, read 11,773,028 times
Reputation: 4425
Here's one: When Yellowstone finally erupts Colorado will be toast.

Sales tax varies from city to city but on average is around 8.3%
Rush hour traffic thro Denver is a b****!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 03:57 PM
 
20 posts, read 65,010 times
Reputation: 23
Coming from your neighboring state, I can certainly tell you that you will miss all the "green": green grass, green trees, weeping willows, etc. You have to be completely in love with the mountains, outdoor activities, and skiing for these things to not bother you... after all, the mountains and outdoor activities are the reason why people move here. I WILL say that I very much enjoy the dry air. I know how you feel: once you've experienced such high humidity, the summers here are a breeze.

I plan on moving out of Denver ASAP simply because I tend to dislike any city over 100,000 people. I'm certainly not prejudice towards Denver, specifically. As far as cities go, it's not bad.

chilaili is absolutely correct, though, when saying that rush hour traffic is terrible. I work in Aurora and live in the Highlands Ranch area. With no traffic, one way can be 25 minutes. It takes me an hour or more to get back home every day (and that's not even driving on the heaviest traveled roads!) Choose wisely when deciding on a job location versus your living situation. I'm still beating myself over the head with my ignorance on that decision.

I love it here and am never moving back to the Midwest. If you ever decide to move to the smaller mountain towns, be prepared that they are not like the small towns in Ohio -- you're very secluded, it's many times a HIGHER cost of living (especially if you're in a resort town), and you better be prepared to be at least somewhat self-sufficient in the harsher winters, in my opinion. These are also the reasons, however, why I enjoy Colorado much more. It all depends on your preferences and personality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
 
20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Reputation: 19063
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickel More View Post
.... Football is the true american sport, in my opinion. ....
In addition to the Bronco's, there are large college teams in Boulder and Fort Collins, not to mention at the USAF Academy in COLO SPGS. And it's not all that far of a drive up to Laramie, WY to see the Univ of WY Cowboys play.
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-19-2012, 05:17 PM
 
Location: Delaware, OH
13 posts, read 51,643 times
Reputation: 22
Quote:
Yes someday when the fronts come through with wind, you can have some stunning days, but the air quality is not always amazing.

There is much less humidity, yes, but also a lot of people don't handle the dry air or thinner air well. You'll also have to deal with more wind than you are probably used to.
I see your point, the air quality can be bad, but nothing I'm too worried about. I visited there when the smoke from fires was covering the place and everyone was complaining "Oh the air is so bad" If they hadn't said anything I would of had no Idea and after they said it, I still didn't notice anything, was still beautiful skies. As for the thinner air, My mother was having a hard time breathing when we were walking around, but I felt as though I was actually able to breath compared to at home. It got even worse on top of Pike's peak, though 14k elevation is a bit much, I still didn't feel a difference.

Quote:
Here's one: When Yellowstone finally erupts Colorado will be toast.
Sales tax varies from city to city but on average is around 8.3%
Rush hour traffic thro Denver is a b****!
I don't care for traffic, no one does, but I am not bothered by it too much. Sales tax is something to keep in mind but it's not a huge thing. it's only about 1.4% more than sales tax where I live, plus the income tax in denver is 2.6% lower than where I come from.

Quote:
Coming from your neighboring state, I can certainly tell you that you will miss all the "green": green grass, green trees, weeping willows, etc. You have to be completely in love with the mountains, outdoor activities, and skiing for these things to not bother you... after all, the mountains and outdoor activities are the reason why people move here. I WILL say that I very much enjoy the dry air. I know how you feel: once you've experienced such high humidity, the summers here are a breeze.
Totally, I kind of expected that the green wouldn't be around for that long in CO, but I'm sure I can live with it. I do love outdoor activities, one thing I love is hiking(can't do that in many places in Ohio) and the big draw of Denver is bike trails! Where I live there is a total of about 50 miles of bike trails scattered in random places that individually only run a mile or so long each. As for the dry air vs humidity, oh ya, I think I'll be able to handle the summers just fine. I completely realize how secluded villages like that are, never ever could I do that, I plan on living close to/in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top