U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2012, 05:17 PM

52 posts, read 109,894 times

Advertisements

December is looking much more promising than November was. The storm track is about to shift (possibly in our favor, possibly not) and the chances for snow in the mountains (primarily Northern Colorado) increase as the week goes on. The Colorado Daily Snow | OpenSnow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM

529 posts, read 1,250,201 times
It looks like snow is in the forecast for later this week, Thank God! I can't believe how dry the past two years have been, I was up in Rocky Mountain National Park last week and noticed how many of the "permanent" snow fields have almost 80% receded, you know you're in trouble when this starts really happening. When I first moved here in the Spring of 2003, the same year that HUGE FREAKIN BLIZZARD occured on the front range, I thought Colorado was the snowiest place on Earth (I had previously lived in AZ and TX) but in ten years I now know that I was very wrong! One thing these incredibly dry and drought conditions have caused are not only problems for Colorado but the entire Southwest and Midwest, as many of our neighboring states get alot of water from Colorado.

One major reason I'm really hoping for a cold snowy winter in Colorado is to kill all of the nasty pine beetles that are killing our trees, has anyone been to Grand Lake lately? It looks terrible!

Old 12-03-2012, 09:07 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
It looks like snow is in the forecast for later this week, Thank God! I can't believe how dry the past two years have been, I was up in Rocky Mountain National Park last week and noticed how many of the "permanent" snow fields have almost 80% receded, you know you're in trouble when this starts really happening. When I first moved here in the Spring of 2003, the same year that HUGE FREAKIN BLIZZARD occured on the front range, I thought Colorado was the snowiest place on Earth (I had previously lived in AZ and TX) but in ten years I now know that I was very wrong! One thing these incredibly dry and drought conditions have caused are not only problems for Colorado but the entire Southwest and Midwest, as many of our neighboring states get alot of water from Colorado.

One major reason I'm really hoping for a cold snowy winter in Colorado is to kill all of the nasty pine beetles that are killing our trees, has anyone been to Grand Lake lately? It looks terrible!
It comes and goes, especially depending on La Nina or El Nino and other weather patterns. From 2004-2011 there were a number of record breaking years for snow in the mountains. So it's inevitable there will be dry periods here and there.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:32 AM

399 posts, read 690,792 times
Thursday is apparently supposed to bring snow/rain.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,690,649 times
Snow world wide is lower than normal right now.
Snow Cover Worldwide Is At Record Lows - Science News - redOrbit

Old 12-06-2012, 09:14 PM

85 posts, read 156,845 times
We really got skunked last night & today, didn't we? And as for all the snow in the forecast this weekend...

I'll believe it when I see it.

Old 12-07-2012, 07:37 AM

85 posts, read 156,845 times
Okay, okay, I take it back. Some snow finally showed up this morning, and while it's not exactly dumping, it is a legitimate snowfall (not just flurries or a "dusting"). Maybe we'll get a quarter or half an inch out of it.

Progress. Feeling a little more hopeful about the weekend...

Old 12-09-2012, 11:28 AM

16,507 posts, read 20,906,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
I don't think people realize how dire the situation really is. Met some folks from east of Trinidad that have taken all of their cattle to market. They've been ranching for 50 years and have never seen the grazing conditions like this. This drought is a really big deal.
Not a good situation there!

A good friend of mine contacted me a couple days ago and told me that next time I get online go to the NOAA drought prediction forecast. Just a while ago I did. I didn't like what I saw at all. The Drought Prediction Forecast's latest chart is from December 6th to February 28th and it doesn't look good. The brown shaded covers all the mountain states, with the exceptions being northern Idaho and northern Montana. It also shades the central plains states from North Dakota all the way down to Texas. Brown means the drought conditions still persist. I've been familiar with that site for some time and they are pretty accurate IMO, I'm sure however there have been exceptions.

I'd like to think there might be an exception to the winter of 2012-3, that we might get totally dumped on. The front that just come through here early this morning, well not much happened in the GJ area. It snowed just enough to cover the ground and right now it's all melted off at my house. And like a lot of storms coming through here it was high winds and little precip. We've had temps in the upper 50's till yesterday and the forecast for the latter half of this week is partly cloudy with highs in the upper 40's.

The National Weather Service can be wrong, has been occasionally wrong. And for this season I hope they ARE wrong. But I don't think they are.

Old 12-10-2012, 08:51 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,659,082 times
This is bad ... locally and nationally. And today, more big wind coming for the Boulder area. That could kick up the Fern Lake fire again...

Old 12-10-2012, 08:15 PM

529 posts, read 1,250,201 times
That snowfall was nothing! I sure hope mother nature gets to work and dumps some snow on CO!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado