U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2012, 11:32 PM

85 posts, read 156,474 times

Advertisements

Maybe I got spoiled moving here in the Winter of 2010, but it has literally snowed twice this season that I can remember. Even then it was only a couple of inches here and there. And there's no more in the forecast for the foreseeable future. I looked up at Mt. Baldy the other day, a fourteener, and there is only very sparse and patchy snow cover. This is bad.

The lost tourist revenue in the mountains will be bad enough - but when we are all engulfed in flames this Summer, where will we get the water to put them out?

Have any of you long-time residents ever seen the weather do a complete 180 and start dumping ridiculous amounts of snow later in the season? I'm trying to keep hope alive, but after what I saw last year, it's hard to be optimistic.

Am I panicking too soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2012, 11:45 PM

3,296 posts, read 8,415,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by attentionspanltd View Post
Maybe I got spoiled moving here in the Winter of 2010, but it has literally snowed twice this season that I can remember. Even then it was only a couple of inches here and there. And there's no more in the forecast for the foreseeable future. I looked up at Mt. Baldy the other day, a fourteener, and there is only very sparse and patchy snow cover. This is bad.

The lost tourist revenue in the mountains will be bad enough - but when we are all engulfed in flames this Summer, where will we get the water to put them out?

Have any of you long-time residents ever seen the weather do a complete 180 and start dumping ridiculous amounts of snow later in the season? I'm trying to keep hope alive, but after what I saw last year, it's hard to be optimistic.

Am I panicking too soon?
November is a bit early to start panicking. Colorado's snowiest month is actually March. I recall many Thanksgiving's growing up in the Denver area where we'd be hanging out in shorts and my Mom would have to open all the windows in the house because it was just way too hot. I also lived at 10,000 feet for almost 4 years and November was still mud season. Sure, there might be some big storms, but ski season didn't really start until after the holidays. Of course, drought is still a real issue right now, but hopefully El Nino will bring some much needed moisture to Colorado.

Old 11-25-2012, 08:12 AM

352 posts, read 587,914 times
I keep meeting new transplants to our state. I tell them that the lack of snow, at least down here, is not unheard of but isn't "normal". I remember one winter (I worked outside at the time) it never snowed and was about 50 for a high all the way through February when I finally took my snow tires off.

That was the year when it also didn't rain in the spring or in the summer and Colorado went up in flames (think Hayman). But that was a very rare dry occurrence.

To answer your question: yes, it will. I hope it starts dumping in the mountains but takes it easy on us down here.

Old 11-25-2012, 09:17 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,656,316 times
Climate Prediction Center - Expert Assessments: United States Seasonal Drought Outlook

Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM

86,861 posts, read 102,200,934 times
^^That was interesting. So the drought is predicted to persist. Hopefully, it won't be as intense as last year.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:04 PM

2,902 posts, read 4,897,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
November is a bit early to start panicking. Colorado's snowiest month is actually March. I recall many Thanksgiving's growing up in the Denver area where we'd be hanging out in shorts and my Mom would have to open all the windows in the house because it was just way too hot.
Agreed. November is too early to start to worry. Jan-March is still a long way off.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:14 PM

399 posts, read 690,050 times
I wouldn't mind it if we had more rain than snow with the coming years honestly but I'm sure that might change how the water reserves would have to hold onto water at least for Colorado. Either way thankfully I don't live in Boulder so I don't have to deal with flash flood warnings as much.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM

3,767 posts, read 4,612,366 times
Growing up we used to go to my grandmothers for thanksgiving breakfast, having a large family and a grandmother that owned a small house we spent most of those mornings down the street at the school having a football game in the grass. I only remember one time that we had to wear jackets due to snow, otherwise we were all in t-shirts and jeans. If in about 6 weeks we have not had a couple of decent snow storms then I will get concerned, otherwise this is not abnormal for the Colorado front range.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:28 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,014,571 times
Wink We all might hope

If conditions are like this by later in January, then you can begin to panic.

Even that could be a tad early, with March decisive, but a still unseasonably dry and warm January will bode nothing good, with this to an extent going for December. My feeling is that this winter will be much as last, in being remarkably dry and warm; I hope for the sake of all concerned I am wrong.

If it is any consolation, the Sangre de Cristo mountains (the highest elevations in all cases) have less snow than Summit County. The Front Range mountains appear to have more snow than either, and perhaps the most in the state (not sure about the higher San Juan). However the snowpack is decidedly less than normal, and spotty as with Breckenridge. In fact the Fern Lake Wildfire in Rocky Mountain National Park just flared up again in the last few days, having thus far burned 1,370 acres. Somewhat strange it would have started as late as October 9, and all the more in being able to continue now.

Pray for snow. It was a lovely and warm Thanksgiving, but a year from now many may have little to be enthused or feel thankful for if this state does not receive some serious precipitation before spring.

Last edited by Idunn; 11-25-2012 at 05:36 PM..

Old 11-25-2012, 05:35 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,656,316 times
The past few days here have been alarmingly warm, dry, windy.

Last year we had a couple pretty decent snowstorms by now ... this year, zilch.

We can ill afford a repeat of last Spring, which was extremely warm, dry, and windy on the heels of a mild Winter. It takes about 21" of snow to make 1" of water, as I understand.

I'm not optimistic at this point ... we could use a miracle storm and then some, else we'll be seeing low reservoirs, water restrictions, and more big fires in 2013.

Really sucks for the local farming & ag communities ... I feel for those folks as I've noted a LOT of fields that went fallow this past year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado