U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM

33 posts, read 78,765 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 27 year old female interested in moving to the Avon/Beaver Creek/Vail area for the winter. I've heard that the money in the hospitality industry is great during the winter season. Is this true? What would you consider the best place to live/work and why?

Do you still make enough in the off-season to live comfortably? Is there as much to do socially in the off-season?

Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2012, 01:02 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,527,350 times
If you do a search of the Colorado forum for Avon, Vail or Beaver Creek, you'll find tons of advice that has already been posted.

The money in the hospitality industry can be great depending on what your job is and especially if it is a job where you can earn tips. Tips is where is the big money can be.

Usually it is harder your first year to make big $$ and it takes a while to get experience/get the best shifts or jobs/etc.

By my 4th season, I was making $6k to $8k a month in winter, including all wages and tips, but I also worked my butt off, 60-100 hours a week. If you are good at personal service and are willing to work multiple jobs or overtime, you can do well in winter.

There is really no housing in Beaver Creek, except for the employee housing at the Tarnes near the side gate. Living in Vail, Eagle-Vail, Avon and Edwards are your options and it ranges from bargain basement sharing rooms in employee housing to condos and houses that cost over $2k a month. To live on your own runs about $1000-$1500 a month, sometimes less. Renting a room in a shared apartment is around $600-$700 a month.

Probably some things to consider about where you live is where you work. Not much point in living in East Vail if you work in Edwards(17 miles away) as an example.

In regards to this winter, the time is like, today, to get a job. In other words housing and the best jobs are disappearing as we speak right now as winter season has already started and if you are going to do this, I would get it done within a week or two.

Do you make enough in the off season? Well you need to save for that. There are no guarantees in the off season. Many employers shut up shop for a month or two or employees get furloughed, which is why many jobs are hired as "part time, seasonal". Depends on your job. If you are working in a government job or at a bank or supermarket, you might not be affected as much, but if you are a server at a restaurant or something, then you will not have much work or none at all.

One of the main reasons I did work in Vail for 7 years was I had big blocks of time off in spring and fall. Of course, I kept that in mind, which is why I saved for those times when I would not be working.

Socially there are still locals around in the off seasons, but most people after winter and long work hours have a bit of cabin fever and are sick of tourists and everyone wants to get out of town for a break. I think you would find the same as well. But it's good as you get refreshed and then the next season starts.

I remember a friend years ago said that either you enjoyed seasonal life or you hated it, as most people want predictability and a 9-5 job and a regular home. For me I still like it. I like a beginning and an end and a constantly changing environment and new people.

If you have any specific questions ask, as there are several here who have or do work and live in the Vail area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado