U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 AM

3,764 posts, read 7,447,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriabin View Post
I couldn't figure out how to edit my post, so I'll just post it here for now

Adding onto my original statement:

I care nothing for nearby transits or transportations, as with recreational facilities, stores, etc. I travel entirely by walking, if not biking. I have no problem living in a 1-room apartment with no utilities aside from internet

I even pee outside when possible; I think the reason many areas are so desolate and barren are because humanity flushes their waste into pipeworks rather than return it into the soil

Also, regarding gardening, all I need is a plot of land, which doesn't necessarily need to be what people consider "Fertile". I'll manage to garden no matter what it takes ;-)

I consider myself very un-picky actually, as when I say I only want a cheap cheap rent + *ANY* plot of land to grow, I mean that is literally all I desire. I want to self support as best as I can.

The 2nd priority for me is having less streets/cars

And a farmer's market would be a plus.

Being near a river, particularly in less fertile areas, would be very helpful.

I suppose the only other thing I want is to not be in a bad, crime, neighborhood.

Thanks for the information guys, all appreciated
You never did clarify what you meant by "greener."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 10:22 AM

818 posts, read 1,891,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
This is the truth. I have no problem with new people moving to Colorado at all, but I don't understand why some people want to move to Colorado when the things that are most important to them are better found elsewhere. The OP's desires are a much better fit for many places east of the 100th meridian or along the west coast. Why try to make a square peg fit a round hole unless another more important factor is involved such as family or job?
Agreed. It seems like there are a lot of places in the Midwest where the OP could live along a bike trail that follows a river (like the Mississippi River Trail), and be near a small town that has a good Farmer's Market. Madison, WI has one of the largest farmer's markets in the country, and there are trails into the center of town from some fairly remote areas outside of town, as it get rural fairly quickly there.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 AM

895 posts, read 1,246,685 times
Quote:
I even pee outside when possible;
Hey, have you noticed family does not come to your house for the holidays?

Old 11-28-2012, 04:02 PM

3,794 posts, read 3,984,910 times
You might make a go of it in town in Durango, if you are willing to share a place or take a low-end place. Yes most places are expensive but not all.

Or look at Pagosa Springs. Or town of Dolores. Or Canon City. Or maybe Lyons. Or Berthoud. Most of these have farmer markets.

There are other candidates, but these are a few for consideration.

Also, on the front range, Colorado City gets 22 inches of precipitation, which is more than most spots. Not designed for most walkers / bikeriders and not generally cheap and unlikely to have many rentals but maybe something nearby there could work for you.

P.S. Nice pics Josseppie.

Last edited by NW Crow; 11-28-2012 at 04:17 PM..

Old 11-28-2012, 04:35 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohazco View Post
This is the truth. I have no problem with new people moving to Colorado at all, but I don't understand why some people want to move to Colorado when the things that are most important to them are better found elsewhere. The OP's desires are a much better fit for many places east of the 100th meridian or along the west coast. Why try to make a square peg fit a round hole unless another more important factor is involved such as family or job?
I am one of the most pro growth posters in here and even I have to agree with you for the OP. There are other states that I think the OP would find more appealing then here.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:34 PM

5,682 posts, read 9,417,164 times
Quote:
I've recently decided I'm going to move to Colorado. However I am certainly looking for as cheap a rent as possible, while trying to live somewhere with minimal pollution, streets/cars, etc. I want to grow my own food if possible, and have access to a farmer's market.

Can someone tell me some greener areas there? I'm from New Jersey and hope to move there within the coming months.
The greener areas are a few places in the mountains, including Aspen, the Holy Cross wildneress area, the Hwy 160 between Pagosa Springs and South Fork, and the west side of the Rocky mountain National Park (on Hwy 34 north of Granby). Those are the places that stand out in my mind, although whether they are green from one year to the next is variable.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:10 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,594,540 times
My mother and I moved to Sterling, CO from IL in 1977 when I was twelve.
I was in immediate shock over the lack of water, trees, green grass and overall plant life.

I pushed myself over the years to learn to appreciate the high plains and grasslands and I do but I never did connect with the geographic area.

I've lived in many areas in the west since my initial move.

After 22 plus years of living in the Denver metro area I finally moved back east to again live amongst the lush green hardwood forests and plant life that my younger years held.

With the priorities that you have listed Colorado is absolutely not the state for you, not in walkability nor in climate.
As others have posted here, you might find western Washington much more fitting of your desires and needs.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 PM

463 posts, read 978,594 times
You will be limited to riparian zones, the rest of the state is a desert. Get out a map and choose a town along a river that suits you.

Quote:
Also, regarding gardening, all I need is a plot of land, which doesn't necessarily need to be what people consider "Fertile". I'll manage to garden no matter what it takes ;-)
Don't count on it, gardenning here is work. We have high winds, scorching UV, hail, little or bad water (check your PH, ground water is often alkaline) and lots of very hungry deer. I've given up gardenning outside and I'm building a greenhouse. Good luck.

Old 12-01-2012, 03:51 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,447,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lugnuts View Post

Don't count on it, gardenning here is work. We have high winds, scorching UV, hail, little or bad water (check your PH, ground water is often alkaline) and lots of very hungry deer. I've given up gardenning outside and I'm building a greenhouse. Good luck.
& those pesky grasshoppers!

Old 12-02-2012, 02:12 AM

2,943 posts, read 7,302,240 times
"I don't need any utilities except for internet" lmfao....I hope your router is solar powered.

Good luck in your search for a plot of hippie commune land next to a river. You gonna build a yurt too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado