U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2006, 08:42 AM

26 posts, read 167,293 times

Advertisements

Since someone brought it up on another thread....are there a lot of rattlesnakes in CO?!?! The meanest snake we have here in Indiana is a copperhead, not as bad as a rattler but they don't play nice either. There are rattlesnakes in Kentucky, but I've never come across one. Is there a big poplulation of rattlesnake in CO? Is it likely that you'll come across one hiking or camping? Are your small pets in danger out in the yard or on a hike? How common is it for rock climbers to be bitten by rattlesnakes?

Honestly, I would be more afraid of a rattlesnake than a bear or mountain lion.

Thanks,
Hoosierteacher a.k.a "I friggin hate snakes"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2006, 09:31 AM

13,374 posts, read 40,153,042 times
Not too many creepies in the inner city. Hardly any bugs--every now and then you might here of a black widow or recluse spider, I once found a black widow in my basement.
However, there are resident raccoons, foxes, skunks and coyotes living right smack in the city center. I saw all of these critters, including the coyotes, quite regularly.
Occasionally a deer will follow the Platte into town.
And yes, out in the 'burbs, there are the occasional mountain lions and rattlesnakes.

Old 10-02-2006, 06:02 PM

66 posts, read 441,565 times
Default Rattlers in Colorado

Hey Hoosier,

There are rattlers in the foothills. My sister's cocker spaniel took a bite on the nose a couple of years ago (dog is deaf and didn't hear the snakes defensive signal), and her son killed a small one in their back yard this past summer. They live near the foothills west of Loveland.

The rattlers like warm sunny days. I've lived here for over 40 years and have yet to see a live one.

As civilization encroaches on nature's habitat, there will be instances when accidents happen. If your out hiking, just beware of your surroundings. I haven't heard of anyone getting bit while on the trails.

Old 10-02-2006, 10:33 PM

8,880 posts, read 15,628,961 times
You generally won't find rattlesnakes over 6500 feet; so if you limit your choices to cities above that elevation, you'll be fine. Be prepared to wear your flannel pajamas in July, though.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:38 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
We have some bluffs here in Colorado Springs that are nick named Rattlesnake Bluffs, for a reason. My brother's company built a building up there and for a while had signs posted in the summer to warn people of the rattlers. Been here all my life and have never once run into a rattlesnake but the person in the other thread was concerned about varying illness and while rattlesnake bites are not really publicized, they aren't common like the other things I listed.

In my 'hood, I have never seen the rattlers. I have seen fox, coyote, raccoons, skunks and flying above, beautiful hawks.

It's a wonderful place to live.

BTW, I stayed in Louisiana for a month and a half and saw more disgusting "critters" down there than ever having lived here.

Old 10-03-2006, 06:03 AM

1,088 posts, read 5,731,968 times
IMO you are a lot more likely to see a Copperhead in Indiana or somewhere else in the "east" then a Rattler in CO. However when you do see one you are in a lot more trouble then when you see a Copperhead. Copperhead's just sit there unless you bother them but Rattlesnakes get scared a lot easier and will attack. My parents who have lived in CO all there life and grew up in semi rural areas have never seen a Rattlesnake but I have heard on occasion of sightings.

As far as bugs, there aren't many in CO. An occasional spider or cochroach, but other then that we are pretty much bug free.

Old 10-03-2006, 12:19 PM

i get faint just thinking of coming across a rattlesnake. i have visions of climing the side of a cliff and peaking over the top and bam! bit in the face by a rattlesnake. the whole "theyre more afraid of you, than you are of them" is right. the problem with that is they strike when theyre afraid, whereas i run away screaming like a girl. i've never understood why people say that to put people at ease around snakes.

Old 10-03-2006, 03:10 PM

1,312 posts, read 6,741,121 times
High top hiking boots (not those with the had soles, the nicer and more comfortable ones) are usually enough to protect you from a snake bite but in my travels I have never come up against one.

Of course you could just stay in and do nothing all day. ;-)

Old 10-04-2006, 10:00 AM

yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaah right! The last thing im going to do is move to Colorardo and cower under an afghan (sp).

Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 AM

45 posts, read 317,505 times
I grew-up in Boulder and the worst snake I ever saw was a Gardner. I now live in the foothills of Loveland and I have seen one baby rattler, and have heard of several in the neighborhood. Right now, we have a corn-snake living under our driveway...but he keeps the pest down , I fear rattlers for my kids sake (but only because they might approach one out of curosity), and the occasional stupid dog (I know of one dog that got bit twice!) but all hospitals & vet clinics carry anti-venom.... Rattlers are very afraid of humans, and very much UNLIKE copperheads are non-aggressive!!!! This goes for black widows, too. I was going to add a line to the "you know your from Colorado if...you know that "Rabbit Mountian" is also know as Rattle Snake Hill. Yes, we have them, so does Montana, Idaho, California, AZ, Wyoming, etc....It's Colorado, I choose to live amoungst nature
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or