U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-16-2013, 12:35 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,181 posts, read 5,613,637 times
Reputation: 2073

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
It took quite a while to read all nine pages. I noticed that there are some people who dislike Colorado--usually without stating a reason. (Not a dig at jazzlover, who is quick to provide reasons) Some people feel it is over rated, which is a hard concept because it requires knowing both the intrinsic value and the perception. I consider it the greatest state in the country, but I respect that others have differences. I'm proud of our state for closing the door on bigotry. I'm proud of our state for leading the way (tied with washington) on legalizing MJ. I'm proud of our state for having tax control laws that prevent harvesting money off unwilling citizens.

I said it was overrated, and I think it is. I can't understand those who feel that Colorado is some be-all, end-all, 'better than everywhere else in the country' type of place. I think it has a lot to offer, but I don't find it to be truly unique or worth all of the credit it receives.

I live in Denver, so take that for what it's worth.

BUT, since you asked, here are some things that I've heard people use as reasons to justify why Colorado is wonderful -- and this is right off the top of my head:
  • Scenery. Colorado has beautiful scenery, but it's not the only state that offers this. Utah, California, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming initially come to mind, but it really depends on what you want. Beautiful scenery is not unique to Colorado.
  • Terrain. Goes hand-in-hand with scenery, I guess -- but sure, Denver has access to the mountains, but there are other cities/states that offer this type of arrangement as well. Nobody seems to care about the plains, but for what it's worth, Montana and Wyoming offer similar terrain in the eastern portions.
  • Cost of Living. It's on the rise, so I understand that Colorado can be cheaper than somewhere like the Washington, DC area or California, but this isn't a benefit that only Colorado can offer. And, compared to other states, the COL is higher.
  • Libertarian/Wild West Vibe. Well, not much longer with Democrats in control of Colorado. We're on our way to being 'just another blue state' now.
  • Skiing. Other states and metro areas offer relatively easy access to skiing. I don't ski, so I don't care.

But yeah, I find Colorado to be overrated in a lot of these categories. Yes, it's nice, but not truly unique in my opinion and I would never go so far as to say that it rocks my world. Hah. If I didn't have a job here, I wouldn't make living in Colorado a priority.

Also, I don't smoke pot and couldn't care less about it, so the MJ stuff is not some kind of unique selling point to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 PM
 
529 posts, read 1,249,680 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I said it was overrated, and I think it is. I can't understand those who feel that Colorado is some be-all, end-all, 'better than everywhere else in the country' type of place. I think it has a lot to offer, but I don't find it to be truly unique or worth all of the credit it receives.

I live in Denver, so take that for what it's worth.

BUT, since you asked, here are some things that I've heard people use as reasons to justify why Colorado is wonderful -- and this is right off the top of my head:
  • Scenery. Colorado has beautiful scenery, but it's not the only state that offers this. Utah, California, Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming initially come to mind, but it really depends on what you want. Beautiful scenery is not unique to Colorado.
  • Terrain. Goes hand-in-hand with scenery, I guess -- but sure, Denver has access to the mountains, but there are other cities/states that offer this type of arrangement as well. Nobody seems to care about the plains, but for what it's worth, Montana and Wyoming offer similar terrain in the eastern portions.
  • Cost of Living. It's on the rise, so I understand that Colorado can be cheaper than somewhere like the Washington, DC area or California, but this isn't a benefit that only Colorado can offer. And, compared to other states, the COL is higher.
  • Libertarian/Wild West Vibe. Well, not much longer with Democrats in control of Colorado. We're on our way to being 'just another blue state' now.
  • Skiing. Other states and metro areas offer relatively easy access to skiing. I don't ski, so I don't care.
But yeah, I find Colorado to be overrated in a lot of these categories. Yes, it's nice, but not truly unique in my opinion and I would never go so far as to say that it rocks my world. Hah. If I didn't have a job here, I wouldn't make living in Colorado a priority.

Also, I don't smoke pot and couldn't care less about it, so the MJ stuff is not some kind of unique selling point to me.
Yes, but what you just said is still not a reason, we are all aware that many other states offer what Colorado does as well. I've heard the things you listed from a billion people, in all the states I've lived in, about every state.

No one in Colorado thinks no other state is beautiful, I've never understood why people say this. What it actually translates to is that these people think Colorado is not as beautiful as their favorite state (which is fine of course), and therefore no one in Colorado should be allowed to think Colorado is beautiful. It's actually the other way around, see! This applies to anyone with this mindset! You realize how your comment makes no sense?

I could say everything you said about Colorado directed towards another state, but I would still not be giving a reason for why a state is "overrated". I would be perceived as just complaining.

A state is only overrated if a person doesn't like it, yet a valid reason is something most people can't ever seem to give.

Trust me Wyoming and Montana don't want to be well known, and I respect that and wish Colorado was the same.

For example, when I lived in Nevada many people talked about Montana and Idaho as the most beautiful places, most people in Montana also only talk about Montana as the best state, never once did I hear someone mention Colorado in 1.5 years of living in NV. They were correct, ID and MT are incredibly beautiful, yet I never thought they were overrated just because I preferred Colorado. They are most definitely not overrated!

It seems you are just mad that other states that you prefer don't get credit from enough people, well this isn't Colorado's fault! In fact you should be glad they don't! My friends from Iowa and Kansas love that Colorado is more hyped, and I wish Colorado would lose it's "hype"!

You say "I can't understand those who feel that Colorado is some be-all, end-all, 'better than everywhere else in the country' type of place." ----Yet you obviously think another state fits this description more so than Colorado, which is great. So why is it wrong for many people to think Colorado does fit this description? You see my point? This doesn't mean a person's opinion makes a place overrated! This could be said about any state! People in every state act like their state is special compared to the rest, it's just how the brain works. It doesn't mean anything other than that!

I mean is your favorite state overrated just because you like it, and others don't? Of course not!

Trust me many other states get a lot more credit than Colorado overall, and no one here cares. In fact I wish all 49 other states were more desired than Colorado!

I love states like AZ and NY (not NYC) a lot, yet I never think that they are overrated just because they are better known and desired more than Colorado.

I don't even think of CA as overrated, it's beautiful but has become a terrible place in my opinion. Most people still love it though.

I don't smoke pot either, but this isn't something I ever think about as a reason for living in Colorado (most people don't). I wish the MJ laws here would change, but it's not ruining my day either.

Underrated is a different story, because some people do totally ignore what a place has to offer, but hey this is a good thing in my opinion.

Not picking on you, just trying to help you see what people mean when they mention "why would someone would think Colorado (or any other state is overrated)"?

Last edited by JMM64; 03-17-2013 at 12:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2013, 11:32 PM
 
529 posts, read 1,249,680 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurtsman View Post
It took quite a while to read all nine pages. I noticed that there are some people who dislike Colorado--usually without stating a reason. (Not a dig at jazzlover, who is quick to provide reasons) Some people feel it is over rated, which is a hard concept because it requires knowing both the intrinsic value and the perception. I consider it the greatest state in the country, but I respect that others have differences. I'm proud of our state for closing the door on bigotry. I'm proud of our state for leading the way (tied with washington) on legalizing MJ. I'm proud of our state for having tax control laws that prevent harvesting money off unwilling citizens.

I'm biased. I know that I'm biased. I've traveled the country some, but not near as much as our veterans. I spent a good deal of time in Iowa, and I didn't care for it one bit. I didn't try to ruin the fun for people that did like it, but I can appreciate being clear about your feelings.

I sometimes have a hard time understanding people that do not like it here, because it has been exactly what I wanted. It wasn't what I wanted because I randomly moved here and liked it, I did research for 18 months learning a great deal about different parts of the country. Once I knew exactly where we would fit in, we made a visit, confirmed we were right, and scheduled our move. I think if more people did that, they would be happy with the place they picked.
Every human being is biased! The one's who claim not to be are not human!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,181 posts, read 5,613,637 times
Reputation: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
Yes, but what you just said is still not a reason, we are all aware that many other states offer what Colorado does as well. I've heard the things you listed from a billion people, in all the states I've lived in, about every state.

No one in Colorado thinks no other state is beautiful, I've never understood why people say this. What it actually translates to is that these people think Colorado is not as beautiful as their favorite state (which is fine of course), and therefore no one in Colorado should be allowed to think Colorado is beautiful. It's actually the other way around, see! This applies to anyone with this mindset! You realize how your comment makes no sense?

I could say everything you said about Colorado directed towards another state, but I would still not be giving a reason for why a state is "overrated". I would be perceived as just complaining.

A state is only overrated if a person doesn't like it, yet a valid reason is something most people can't ever seem to give.

Trust me Wyoming and Montana don't want to be well known, and I respect that and wish Colorado was the same.

For example, when I lived in Nevada many people talked about Montana and Idaho as the most beautiful places, most people in Montana also only talk about Montana as the best state, never once did I hear someone mention Colorado in 1.5 years of living in NV. They were correct, ID and MT are incredibly beautiful, yet I never thought they were overrated just because I preferred Colorado. They are most definitely not overrated!

It seems you are just mad that other states that you prefer don't get credit from enough people, well this isn't Colorado's fault! In fact you should be glad they don't! My friends from Iowa and Kansas love that Colorado is more hyped, and I wish Colorado would lose it's "hype"!

You say "I can't understand those who feel that Colorado is some be-all, end-all, 'better than everywhere else in the country' type of place." ----Yet you obviously think another state fits this description more so than Colorado, which is great. So why is it wrong for many people to think Colorado does fit this description? You see my point? This doesn't mean a person's opinion makes a place overrated! This could be said about any state! People in every state act like their state is special compared to the rest, it's just how the brain works. It doesn't mean anything other than that!

I mean is your favorite state overrated just because you like it, and others don't? Of course not!

Trust me many other states get a lot more credit than Colorado overall, and no one here cares. In fact I wish all 49 other states were more desired than Colorado!

I love states like AZ and NY (not NYC) a lot, yet I never think that they are overrated just because they are better known and desired more than Colorado.

I don't even think of CA as overrated, it's beautiful but has become a terrible place in my opinion. Most people still love it though.

I don't smoke pot either, but this isn't something I ever think about as a reason for living in Colorado (most people don't). I wish the MJ laws here would change, but it's not ruining my day either.

Underrated is a different story, because some people do totally ignore what a place has to offer, but hey this is a good thing in my opinion.

Not picking on you, just trying to help you see what people mean when they mention "why would someone would think Colorado (or any other state is overrated)"?
Looks like I've been schooled!

This topic is subjective and I'm merely stating my opinion. For what it's worth, the word 'overrated' to me, simply means that the praise heaped on Colorado is a bit much; the dictionary definition of overrated is something like 'to overstate the merits of..'

That's what I'm getting at. A lot of the reasons as to why Colorado apparently rocks other peoples' worlds are usually centered around things that are not unique to Colorado. I've lived in three states so far and haven't had a favorite, for what it's worth. It's fine that so many people feel that Colorado rocks their world; but I don't get it.

Stating that I think Colorado is overrated doesn't mean that hate it, or hate living here, though I HAVE been disappointed by our state legislature as of late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 12:36 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
Reputation: 9316
To say that a state ( or anything else for that matter ) is overrated, is a matter of perception and opinion. That's all it is!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 03:04 PM
 
529 posts, read 1,249,680 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Looks like I've been schooled!

This topic is subjective and I'm merely stating my opinion. For what it's worth, the word 'overrated' to me, simply means that the praise heaped on Colorado is a bit much; the dictionary definition of overrated is something like 'to overstate the merits of..'

That's what I'm getting at. A lot of the reasons as to why Colorado apparently rocks other peoples' worlds are usually centered around things that are not unique to Colorado. I've lived in three states so far and haven't had a favorite, for what it's worth. It's fine that so many people feel that Colorado rocks their world; but I don't get it.

Stating that I think Colorado is overrated doesn't mean that hate it, or hate living here, though I HAVE been disappointed by our state legislature as of late.
You're just repeating the same thing, and I never said it was bad if you hated or disliked Colorado.

Anyway I said what I wanted to say so I'm done. Thanks for the reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 03:05 PM
 
529 posts, read 1,249,680 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
To say that a state ( or anything else for that matter ) is overrated, is a matter of perception and opinion. That's all it is!
Of Course
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 03:40 PM
 
Location: Golden, CO
2,181 posts, read 5,613,637 times
Reputation: 2073
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
You're just repeating the same thing, and I never said it was bad if you hated or disliked Colorado.

Anyway I said what I wanted to say so I'm done. Thanks for the reply!
No, but you said that my thoughts didn't make sense, so I tried to clarify by basically stating the same thing in a different way. Either way, it doesn't matter what *I* think of Colorado, or what you think for that matter.

This conversation is getting a bit ridiculous, so I'm finished too. Thanks for the reply!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2013, 06:37 PM
 
529 posts, read 1,249,680 times
Reputation: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
No, but you said that my thoughts didn't make sense, so I tried to clarify by basically stating the same thing in a different way. Either way, it doesn't matter what *I* think of Colorado, or what you think for that matter.

This conversation is getting a bit ridiculous, so I'm finished too. Thanks for the reply!
Cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2013, 09:22 AM
 
3,492 posts, read 4,932,778 times
Reputation: 5377
Hey Cowboy,

Thanks for putting some specifics with your feelings. I respect how you feel about the state. It's true that terrain and scenery can be a large selling point. I looked at the other states you've listed, and I think they are beautiful also. I feel Colorado has a better combination of weather and scenery. Those states are much colder in the winter, and I just don't do well with winter. For me, that's a huge difference.

The COL, because of property taxes and house prices, is dramatically lower than most other areas. Now some COL calculators will fail dramatically, but that's usually because they were programmed to provide equal weight to each category rather than looking at the amount of money someone spends in each category. If housing is 50% cheaper and you spend 30% of your money on it, but somewhere else food is 50% cheaper and you spend 10% of your money on it, the COL is not the same. If every other category was equal, the one with cheaper housing would have a much lower actual cost of living. After a thorough comparison of places in the country, I found Colorado had a lower total cost of living than the vast majority of states that had appealing weather. I focused my research on places we might actually want to live, so there are several states that were left off the list.

The libertarian vibe is certainly in effect. If we were just a blue state we would have democrats in power and high taxes. But we don't have the high taxes. Libertarians are socially liberal and fiscally conservative. That is what we are witnessing. Democrats in power but without the power to raise taxes. If we had a law that prevented republicans from reaching into our private lives and making decisions for us instead of tabor, we would have republicans elected to control the fiscal aspect. Since republicans can not rally against high taxes, they will have a much weaker hold on Colorado. That doesn't mean the entire state is blue, or even that we will vote for a democrat for president. The president isn't bound by Tabor, so the entire package must be considered.

So yes, those are things that some people love about Colorado. You feel it's over rated because you don't see those things the way you'd like to. I feel that it isn't because in my research those things have been true given some conditions that apply to me. For instance, not liking cold. If you don't like the cold/rain, this is the mountain state that gives you a wealth of sunshine and warmer winters. If you do like the cold and prefer lower population, Montana would rank very high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:23 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top