U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 02:04 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,618,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyam22 View Post
Loved your upbeat positive comments, certainquirk. I moved from the south to Colorado over thirty years ago and have never, never looked back. I've lived in Fort Collins, Westcliffe, and now Frisco. They are all hugely different and they are all hugely lovely places to live (though housing in Frisco, of course, is a bit out of bounds...for me anyway). My son graduated from Boulder and I've spent a lot of time there and that is a great, fun place also. Pagosa Springs is a favorite place as well as Durango. Someone said earlier that the Colo landscape seems like one big white bread, mayo sandwich to them?????Wow. That's weird. I can't imagine how anyone would get that idea unless they had never left the plains. Most of the time when I drive around in the mountains to the various towns, I am simply in awe of the landscape. It brings tears to my eyes and a full feeling to my heart. This landscape isn't "a white bread sandwich", it's a multi grained, healthy, healing sandwich! Good luck on coming. Leave expectations and negativity behind, take a lot of what you read with a grain of salt, open up your eyes and heart and you're gonna love it!
Judging by the context of the post you quoted I get the impression that the poster was saying white bread as in only white people, because for some reason people think that there are only white and black people, no Hispanics or any other minority for that part. Fact is the population of Colorado is just about 70% white non hispanic which is slightly more then the nationwide where white non hispanic is right about 63.5% of the population. So while Colorado as a whole is slightly less diverse then average, there are other races throughout the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 02:32 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,572,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
I think you may need to get out of your neighborhood more, I had some damn good mexican food yesterday, and for 4 people with drinks and free chips and salsa it cost us $25 + tip.
That's funny to me because you're in Fort Collins and my most memorable Colorado Mexican food story occurred in Fort Collins. The last time that I had Mexican in Colorado, I got food poisoning, but it was a dive and I was desperate for good Mexican, so I took a foolish chance, but that's not my story.

My wife and I were in downtown Fort Collins on the main strip there, and we wanted Mexican but weren't familiar with the restaurants in the area, so I began asking other pedestrians for a recommendation. Of three people whom looked credible, all hastened their pace and walked a big arch around me when I said,"Pardon me." I could understand that had I been an unshaven, unshowered, and poorly dressed person, but I was there for a meeting and was in biz casual and looked appropriate for the environment.

After those snubs, another woman approached, and she made (contrary to the norm) eye contact, so I asked her about Mexican. She gave a derisive chuckle and asked where we were from. I responded Detroit, and she said that she was from Chicago and that there was nothing around that could be called good Mexican by our standards, but she directed us to her opinion of the best joint on the strip.

Old 12-09-2012, 02:37 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,966,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
King_of_the_Desert wrote: MEXICAN FOOD! We have the best of it here!

Apparently your taste buds are calibrated differently than mine. I won't say there are no decent Mexican food restaurants in Colorado, but if one exists, I haven't found it yet.
We have plenty of Good Mexican food. It's just different than Mexican food in a lot of other places.

I LOVE Colorado Mexican food.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:16 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,618,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
That's funny to me because you're in Fort Collins and my most memorable Colorado Mexican food story occurred in Fort Collins. The last time that I had Mexican in Colorado, I got food poisoning, but it was a dive and I was desperate for good Mexican, so I took a foolish chance, but that's not my story.

My wife and I were in downtown Fort Collins on the main strip there, and we wanted Mexican but weren't familiar with the restaurants in the area, so I began asking other pedestrians for a recommendation. Of three people whom looked credible, all hastened their pace and walked a big arch around me when I said,"Pardon me." I could understand that had I been an unshaven, unshowered, and poorly dressed person, but I was there for a meeting and was in biz casual and looked appropriate for the environment.

After those snubs, another woman approached, and she made (contrary to the norm) eye contact, so I asked her about Mexican. She gave a derisive chuckle and asked where we were from. I responded Detroit, and she said that she was from Chicago and that there was nothing around that could be called good Mexican by our standards, but she directed us to her opinion of the best joint on the strip.
1st yes I live in Fort Collins, I work in Westminster, and am from a small town 30 miles northeast of Denver with many family members and friends still in that area, so needless to say I spend more time not in fort collins then I actually spend in fort collins.

2nd yes there has been an invasion of snobs over the last couple of decades that have brought several people like what you mentioned into the area I moved back to Fort Collins about 6 years ago and hate the town it became as it has lost much of the charm that they had when I went to school there close to 20 years ago. Fact is due to my daughter's disabilities and the relationships with her doctors, the school district, and the respite center in Fort Collins that we have built it is in the best interest of my wife and kids to stay in Fort Collins, without that I would leave there today.

3rd I have tried just about every mexican food place in Fort Collins and I will not be going back to any of them. Most of the decent to good mexican food places I find in northern colorado are along highway 85 in some of the small towns, there are a couple of decent dive places off of 38th in Denver. Most of them are cheap and all of them are good. The best way to find a decent mexican food place is to ask a mexican they will usually know the best ones.

Old 12-09-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
2nd yes there has been an invasion of snobs. . .
I didn't experience them as being snobs; they seemed terrified. But that could have been an act.

Quote:
The best way to find a decent mexican food place is to ask a Mexican they will usually know the best ones.
Latino/a. One cannot know a person's native country by their appearance.

Last edited by The Homogenizer; 12-09-2012 at 04:18 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 05:45 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,019,284 times
Wink Not just Mexican food

Maybe this thread should be entitled 'what I love about Colorado Mexican food, or not.' But to answer the OP's question, what makes Colorado great are its mountains, and more generally that there is so much beautiful open space.

Someone from eastern Colorado might not appreciate the difference, but without so much wild and even officially designated wilderness area Colorado would be more like other states, or if without the mountains, then more like Kansas. In varying degrees this trait is shared by all the states of the Rocky Mountain West, from New Mexico up through Montana. With others, say Wyoming, offering even more elbow room for cowboys and cowgirls, and less in the way of crowds. Yet Colorado is at least unique in being as it were a high island in the lower 48, with by far the highest average elevations and number of mountain peaks above 14,000 feet.

It also, socially, tends to be a live and let live kind of place. With many transplants from elsewhere (being technically everyone, save a few Native Americans, and, if one must, those born here), there tends to be a mix of left, right and everything in between—mostly somewhere in-between. It is also one of the two states (with Washington state) having recently legalized recreational marijuana, which might be some indication of prevailing attitudes. At least in urban areas, being most Coloradoans, as the majority of the population resides along the metro Front Range. Of course this varies, with Boulder being a big proponent of such things, but such a measure never having been passed if relying upon the common sympathies in some of the more rural venues, out east, on the western slope, or even some towns in the mountains.

And since I cannot resist, a word or two on Mexican food. Finding Tex-Mex isn't as easy here as in California; but a whole lot easier than Europe, where in some cases good luck finding anything Mexican, even that vaguely so in Taco Bell. The gourmet may not locate exactly that they were used to back home, but still a lot of options in something Mexican. In Fort Collins, two I'll mention will likely not get you sick, and one might even enjoy their time there. Both near Old Town, Pueblo Viejo is one, with Rio Grande the other. In the summer, Rio Grande has a pleasant outside patio in back, next a large fountain. Also great margaritas, although a friend informs me their standards in this have slipped slightly of late; maybe they have since reformed themselves. Anyway, if someone cannot find Mexican food in Colorado, and maybe even enjoy it, then simply not trying.

But I doubt most people move to Colorado for the food, even if there really are a fair number of good restaurants resident, and of course no shortage of ways to cook what one likes on their own. No, the dreams of most seem to center in being on some lovely trail, perhaps hiking or biking, and stopping to take yet another superbly scenic snapshot which will have all the relatives back in Toledo drooling with envy. That isn't always exactly the reality, and one might perhaps neglect to mention how they haven't been skiing in a month as not wishing to fight the traffic on I-70; but one good photo from when they did, with blue skies overhead and a vast array of high mountain peaks behind them, should suffice for the folks back home for at least a year, if not at least through ski season.

One might find individual aspects of this place elsewhere, and in instances—such as perhaps no one else around for 50 miles—even better luck elsewhere. But put them altogether and no other place can match Colorado; even if the same could be said for anywhere else in the US with whatever their particular charms happen to be (even if just fine alligator stew or something). Maybe Colorado could be accused of being kind of uniform, even as its geography certainly varies widely from one area to the next. But if fond of what is here, say in the mountains, then there is a lot of it to explore and enjoy.

Which is just as well if stuck in traffic in Denver, and wondering again why paying the premium in housing compared to the Midwest. Because nowhere there will have the view most anyone along the Front Range does, if looked for even casually. With all the dreams within implied, which helps to even out some of the inevitable ups and downs inherent in any place.

Last edited by Idunn; 12-09-2012 at 06:04 PM..

Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 PM

31 posts, read 46,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
Geez people way to go being overly negative. I'm not saying Denver and Colorado is perfect but Denver is still an up and coming city and to compare everything in it to New York, LA, etc. is foolish. Food is all oppinionative and if someone thinks the food in Denver is good, let them. Many people do love the Mexican food here, I can't comment on this however as I've never been a fan of Mexican food.

I've been to many overpriced over-hyped restaurants nationwide and there's always someone be it me or not that disagrees with someone else's opinion about the food. Denver will never be a world class city so stop expecting it to be in every arena! No one in Denver thinks it's Nordstroms's as someone pointed out earlier (whatever this means), it's simply called just being positive and happy. If perfection in all areas of life and ammenities in one city is what you seek you're on the wrong planet! If you want authentic delicious mexican food that's undoubtably the best, go to Mexico!

Colorado is a great place to live because people are happy here and the quality of life is great. People always try to compare Colorado and Denver to "New York" or "San Francisco" as nearly all threads like this show, but the fact that Colorado is not like these places is what makes it great (to most people). Transplants always try to bring everything from their home states to Colorado with them, yet even if they can find similarities it's never good enough for them. If people don't understand that every place is different and what you make of it, yet are upset when it's not the comfy cozy home they left then I feel sorry for them. They should keep it to themselves and not bother everyone else, and everyone is guilty of this including Colorado transplants in other states but Colorado transplants elsewhere are obviously a major minority as Colorado is growing and still only the 22nd most populated state. I mean I've lived in 10 states and have visited 48 of them and never do I go in with the mentality that one of them is the basis for the Suave and luxury style of life, Colorado unforunately has dealt with too much of this and to accept any of it as a fact is nonsense. Stay happy and Colorado will not dissapoint!

Anyway before I rant anymore Colorado is great because it offers something for everyone, the weather is great and (most) of the people are friendly and happy. Sure everywhere is great it's all personal perception, but if you come to Colorado with a positive attitude and don't listen to all the negative transplants you can and will be very happy!
Exactly! The reason I could never live in another state is because I know I would find myself constantly comparing it to Colorado. So I will stay here and be happy by the amazing quality of life. Likewise, I wish people wouldn't move here and expect everything to be perfect. If you're disappointed by one Mexican place than try a few others. If you hate every place you try than you probably don't really like Mexican food, or you're too picky!

Old 12-09-2012, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_the_Desert View Post
If you hate every place you try. . . you're too picky!
That's my favorite thing about Colorado. . . homogenization.

Old 12-09-2012, 08:45 PM

31 posts, read 46,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
That's my favorite thing about Colorado. . . homogenization.
Okie dokie then... If you think we're such a homogeneous state, why not go somewhere else? Why is my one comment about food resonating so much with people. It really isn't that big of a deal!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_the_Desert View Post
If you think we're such a homogeneous state. . .
I think that a common cultural trait is the use of dehumanization to defend against relatively reasonable ideas that are inconsistent with the relatively peculiar aspects of Colorado.

God willing, I will leave soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or