U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 05:39 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,571,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
You feel better now?
Why would I feel any different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 06:06 PM

529 posts, read 1,248,619 times
To the OP, sorry for the off topic Crap. I was just trying to make this thread a little more positive for your benefit, this apparently pissed off overly negative people for no reason and I apologize for that. You really need to come see Colorado for yourself to decide if it's the place for you. Hopefully there's enough comments so far to help you decide if a visit is necessary. Good luck to you!

Old 12-11-2012, 10:14 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,766,425 times
There are four things that made Colorado a great state historically:

1. Colorado's unique geography.

2. Colorado's unique and varied weather and climate.

3. Colorado's open spaces.

4. Colorado's unique natural and historical heritage.

All of which modern day population growth, financial speculation and greed, and stupid public policy are doing their best to destroy as quickly and completely as possible.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:41 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,829,401 times
JMM64...the off topic crap, as you call it, is often more interesting to read than the topic itself!

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 12-11-2012 at 10:54 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 10:44 AM

2,147 posts, read 4,326,832 times
I only lived in CO for 3 years, and ultimately, it was not the place for me [the WIND, dryness and browness being the main reasons], but there are SO many positives, that I often wished it 'could have worked' for my family....
It's a reasonable place [increasingly rare in the world]; small population relative to size helps. Midwestern sensibility with a western independent/live and let live/progressive spirit. Educated populace, whether liberal or conservative politically! [again, common sense-and healthy dose of libertarianism]. Respect for environment, b/c 'duh'. No really, relative to many other places, Coloradans enjoy their natural world and appreciate it. Nice people. [I did not live in fort collins, so I cannot comment on that. Although, I had several friends who lived there or eventually moved to there, and they struck me as down to earth people, so??? I think anytime a town ends up on those 'best place' lists-retirement, outdoors, economy, etc, they are ultimately doomed, and this may be the issue for FC at this point in time. Watch Louisville down the road-it may be at it's peak/prime right now, but I'll bet it suffers that same type of fate, in the near future.]

Lifestyle is not a program to purchase. Colorado's lifestyle/quality of life was created by its residents. I'm guessing that may have changed a bit-now that so many are moving in based on a 'program' concept, from articles they've read.

Colorado still has quirky, interesting, independent folks en masse, in my experience. Good quality of life. IF you can handle the wind, browness and dryness(:

Old 12-11-2012, 12:19 PM

811 posts, read 1,222,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
1. Colorado's unique geography.

2. Colorado's unique and varied weather and climate.

3. Colorado's open spaces.

4. Colorado's unique natural and historical heritage.

All of which modern day population growth, financial speculation and greed, and stupid public policy are doing their best to destroy as quickly and completely as possible.
Exactly the same, of course, holds true for perhaps 45 of the 49 other US states. Of the 5 or so where the above does NOT hold true, its not for a lack of trying, so far as I can tell. That's not to say you shouldn't mourn what has been lost of the Colorado of AD 1000, 1500, 1800, 1880, 1950 (or whatever your own "ideal" period happens to be) but Colorado is only unique if one ignores what has happened in the rest of the West and everywhere else really. Are there not old-time Floridians who lament what their state has become, who also ignore how they and their folks changed it from what it had been before they showed up?

I personally think Colorado remains great because a young person without family connections STILL has a fighting chance to carve out a life for themselves here. It will not be easy, but it can be done. That "opportunity of place" no longer realistically exists in many, many other places. And there are still wild places here if one is willing to make the hard effort to get to them.

Last edited by smdensbcs; 12-11-2012 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 12-13-2012, 02:07 PM

58 posts, read 88,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyam22 View Post
Someone said earlier that the Colo landscape seems like one big white bread, mayo sandwich to them?????Wow. That's weird. I can't imagine how anyone would get that idea unless they had never left the plains.
I guess this deserves explanation. Of course I am comparing to where I came from, New England. I lived one hour to the ocean, one hour to the mountains, one hour to the city, one hour to 5 different states, mill towns, farm towns, fishing communities, etc etc.. To drive for three hours and only see sagebrush and mountains (and not be in another state or country entirely) is a bit strange to me.
And yes New England is still largely white, but the immigrant population is broken up into many more groups than in Colorado. My last job when living there had an Argentinian boss alongside coworkers from Iran, Dominican Republic, and Macedonia.
just observations, your experience may vary
Still love Colorado

Old 12-13-2012, 02:10 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,829,401 times
^^^^^Yeah, it all depends on what/where we are using as a point of reference in our comparisons.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:32 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,358 posts, read 39,669,773 times
What makes Colorado a great state?

The willingness of our predecessors to accept diversity and to care for each other.

Something that is now woefully lost post 'diversity training / social engineering' of the 1980's and current.

Colorado + most of America ( & humanity) lost the formula once the 'entitlement' attitude prevailed.

What is left is divisiveness and territorial possessiveness, that will only fly for so long.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,251,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_of_the_Desert View Post
Plus I LOVE MEXICAN FOOD! We have the best of it here! And the people are generally very laid back and friendly!
I must take issue with that statement. Phoenix has the best mexican food, both in the 'sit down and eat restaurant' category and the fast mexican food category.

Colorado definitely has the edge over many places I've been in the 'laid back environment and friendly people' category though. I found it easy to make friends, despite the fact that I'm more or less an introvert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or