U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:17 AM

261 posts, read 620,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
True, there are plenty of conservatives who smoke weed and who voted to legalize it. Nonetheless, it was a liberal ballot measure. Could you imagine a conservative state like Kansas or Oklahoma legalizing MJ?
Or Florida, where possession of a gram is punishable by death, lol. SO glad I'm out of there. Don't think Oklahoma will be "feeling the love" for a while either:

Oklahoma Senate Passes Life Sentence for Hash Making | StoptheDrugWar.org
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:36 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,835,798 times
downtownnola wrote: Could you imagine a conservative state like Kansas or Oklahoma legalizing MJ?

YES I can. As the younger generations comes of age, marijuana demonization will be clearly seen for the big lie that it truly is. They will probably be laughing at the gullibility of previous generations.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:52 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,967,322 times
I had a cycle buddy from another forum, not CD, that said he was moving from Denver because he was disgusted with the high crime rate there. He said he was planning on moving to an unpopulated place in New Mexico. He was mainly concerned about his children growing up in a high crime area. Was he living in a bad area? Because I know there are some areas of many cities that aren't so nice.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:31 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Like any metro area, there are some crime-ridden areas of the Denver metro area. Same with Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Greeley, Pueblo, even Grand Junction. Overall, crime rates in Colorado's metro areas are middling, not the worst in the country, but not the best, either. That said, Colorado's Constitutional straight-jacket on public budgets will increasingly compromise law enforcement's ability to effectively patrol for, apprehend, and prosecute criminals. It's another sad case where Colorado has embraced and allowed out-of-control population growth with little consideration of how to pay for the unpleasant side effects of it--increased criminal activity being one. Some high-level Colorado law enforcement people that I know are privately very pessimistic about their ability to effectively do their jobs--especially when the tightening economy entices more destitute people to commit crime as a method of getting what they can not otherwise afford.

In my opinion, whatever other wonderful attributes that they may have, no state can really be called "great" when there are areas within it where ordinary citizens do not feel safe from crime--and there are certainly places like that in Colorado.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:41 AM

261 posts, read 620,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I had a cycle buddy from another forum, not CD, that said he was moving from Denver because he was disgusted with the high crime rate there. He said he was planning on moving to an unpopulated place in New Mexico. He was mainly concerned about his children growing up in a high crime area. Was he living in a bad area? Because I know there are some areas of many cities that aren't so nice.
Denver is really safe compared to a lot of big metros, in my opinion. If you move here from a tiny rural area then, yeah it's probably going to have more crime. Denver does have some bad areas and crime.

But, we were in S. Florida for a couple of years and violent crime is a big quality of life issue down there. Lots of shootings, robberies, home invasions, etc. There are tons of trigger happy crazy people, a giant gap between rich and poor, a big drug point of entry in Miami, super harsh drug laws that equal big profits for dealers, and super lax gun laws. It's never boring, but we didn't want to raise our daughter there after a few years. Denver doesn't come close.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:43 PM

8,353 posts, read 5,967,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksmith76 View Post
Denver is really safe compared to a lot of big metros, in my opinion. If you move here from a tiny rural area then, yeah it's probably going to have more crime. Denver does have some bad areas and crime.

But, we were in S. Florida for a couple of years and violent crime is a big quality of life issue down there. Lots of shootings, robberies, home invasions, etc. There are tons of trigger happy crazy people, a giant gap between rich and poor, a big drug point of entry in Miami, super harsh drug laws that equal big profits for dealers, and super lax gun laws. It's never boring, but we didn't want to raise our daughter there after a few years. Denver doesn't come close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzlover View Post
Like any metro area, there are some crime-ridden areas of the Denver metro area. Same with Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, Greeley, Pueblo, even Grand Junction. Overall, crime rates in Colorado's metro areas are middling, not the worst in the country, but not the best, either. That said, Colorado's Constitutional straight-jacket on public budgets will increasingly compromise law enforcement's ability to effectively patrol for, apprehend, and prosecute criminals. It's another sad case where Colorado has embraced and allowed out-of-control population growth with little consideration of how to pay for the unpleasant side effects of it--increased criminal activity being one. Some high-level Colorado law enforcement people that I know are privately very pessimistic about their ability to effectively do their jobs--especially when the tightening economy entices more destitute people to commit crime as a method of getting what they can not otherwise afford.

In my opinion, whatever other wonderful attributes that they may have, no state can really be called "great" when there are areas within it where ordinary citizens do not feel safe from crime--and there are certainly places like that in Colorado.
I believe my cycle buddy was concerned because his children were approaching their teenage years, and probably had heard of all the bad things that teens can get themselves into.

I thought that it was much as you both describe, it depends on where a person resides.

Since Colorado has a wide expansive countryside, I can see where cutting funding for emergency services could be a problem.

Old 12-24-2012, 04:30 PM

20 posts, read 20,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
I think that it's a variant of being open minded, but I don't think that it's open minded in the classic sense. It's open minded like this: consider most Broncos fans. (This applies to fans everywhere.) Elway's the qb, and you're a fan of the Broncos. Tebow's the qb. and you're still a fan of the Broncos. Then Manning's the qb. and you're a fan of the Broncos. During these eras, various players and staff come and go, and you're a fan of the Broncos. And you talk about what the Broncos did in 1950, '60, '70, and you're a fan of the Broncos.

But what is the Broncos? It's just a name, and nothing more. It's history, but the history of a group of people from decades ago whom don't have meaning to today's name. And today's team will mean nothing to tomorrow's name. But the fan talks about the Broncos as if there is something there, but it's ephemeral.

In my opinion, and this is what I think I see here, what you call open minded is a value set by which you can gain pride from something meaningless.

That said, I think that a lot of Coloradans apply this sort of mentality to the "team" of Colorado. Someone says,"Colorado," and we must say,"Good," without regard to the realities. And that's why I think that you did this:

Your fundamental premise is "Colorado is good." When I challenge that premise, you can't engage me. And I really think that that's at the heart of the massacres: you require that people participate in a lie; if they don't, you shun them.

Obviously, that says something about what you consider to be open minded.

Take care.
The vitriolic ad-hominems and sweeping generalizations continue unabated, I see.
It's one thing to offer a balancing perspective. It's another thing entirely to simply hate a state and its people, and spread that hate any way you can. Stop. Please.

Colorado is the best state in the Union, in my entirely unbiased opinion because it offers a mix of incredible natural beauty, mountain lifestyle, and culture and civilization. You can go to a play in Denver and be in the middle of the Rockies a couple of hours later. The people mind their own business, but if you go out of your way to be friendly, you'll acquire lifelong friends. There are people from all over the world who call Colorado home, because the Rockies and the open skies reach out and touch all sorts of hearts. There's a free and easy way of life just waiting if you're willing to leave behind some conveniences and comforts and embrace nature. And a lot of people are living it. Of course, there's also a blooming urban culture and lots of new chances to get involved in art and business. I'd write more, but I'm all outta time.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:35 PM

3,768 posts, read 4,618,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downtownnola View Post
True, there are plenty of conservatives who smoke weed and who voted to legalize it. Nonetheless, it was a liberal ballot measure. Could you imagine a conservative state like Kansas or Oklahoma legalizing MJ?
Just about every single farmer I know that is under the age of 40 is a smoker, in fact they give me a hard time because i don't smoke. Now that obviously does not mean that all of the younger generations of farmers throughout the country are smokers, but I would guess it is not that rare, and so yes I can see Kansas and Oklahoma eventually passing legalized MJ, it just may take another generation.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:29 PM

9,394 posts, read 18,231,326 times
Default New Mexico appreciates Colorado

I like that I can drive 3 hours to the north when I get tired of looking at the brown desert and when crossing the state line it suddenly gets greener, a bit more affluent, the mountains get taller, and the scenery changes. Colorado is a a gorgeous state! Also the nearest real big city is up there. We got a fair share of Broncos fans down here too. I love having Colorado as our neighbor to the north. Our neighbors to the east, west, and south of us however......., well that's another story...I'll Bit my tongue. Anyway cheers to Colorado, I dig it.

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 03-15-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 03-15-2013, 04:33 PM

2,181 posts, read 5,613,637 times
Nothing, actually. It's a nice place to live, but overrated in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or