Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 08:50 PM

529 posts, read 1,538,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk330 View Post
I guess this deserves explanation. Of course I am comparing to where I came from, New England. I lived one hour to the ocean, one hour to the mountains, one hour to the city, one hour to 5 different states, mill towns, farm towns, fishing communities, etc etc.. To drive for three hours and only see sagebrush and mountains (and not be in another state or country entirely) is a bit strange to me.
And yes New England is still largely white, but the immigrant population is broken up into many more groups than in Colorado. My last job when living there had an Argentinian boss alongside coworkers from Iran, Dominican Republic, and Macedonia.
just observations, your experience may vary
Still love Colorado
While I see your point, I thought I'd share my point of view as well.

It sounds like you are just referring to I-25. Check out the rest of Colorado and you'll see how diverse it is. There's desert, mountains, dense forests, deep canyons, huge sand dunes, red rock formations, waterfalls, alpine tundra, etc. I agree Colorado is not the most diverse state, you can drive huge distances with very little change, but it's definitely not "White Bread".

Also I too have met many people from other countries in Colorado, including Germany, Argentina, Iran, Nepal, Pakistan, Singapore, etc. I agree though that New England is more diverse, it's a coastal area!

I agree New England is very beautiful, but again it's just dense forests, waterfalls, mountains that are all tree covered (except the White's of course) and coastline with a few small canyons. And driving from MA to ME it doesn't look any different.

Neither area is more diverse just different. Even Kansas has many diverse areas, eastern Kansas and western Kansas look like they are different states all together.

People seem to always equate the ocean to more diversity, even if the state lacks many of the things found in Colorado. I personally don't think Florida or Virginia for example offer any more diversity other than ocean, and forests. Yet because there is an ocean they are more diverse? (I know you never said this but many people do) Even states like Oregon offer only limited alpine areas, and not much red rock formations, yet because there is the ocean and the western half is VERY GREEN, with only a few volcanoes for alpine environments, and the same desert areas you find elsewhere in the east, it is always looked at as more diverse? (Yes I've been to all these states) Every state is beautiful in it's own way, but diversity is never unlimited in every area of any state.

I'll never understand this.

Last edited by JMM64; 03-15-2013 at 09:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 08:55 PM

3 posts, read 2,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
Nothing, actually. It's a nice place to live, but overrated in my opinion.
Yes, I would agree with you.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:39 PM

529 posts, read 1,538,557 times
I'll never understand why people think Colorado is overrated, in all the states I've lived in (other than Colorado of course) I really only heard people mention Colorado maybe 5 times. I heard people mention California, New York, Florida, New England, Texas, Utah, Massachusetts and the Pacific Northwest much more often as nice places.

This includes living in Texas, California, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Michigan, New Jersey, Virginia, Nevada, and Louisiana. (military family, it's not that I wanted to move this often or had money)

But hey that's just my experience.

Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,621,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMM64 View Post
I'll never understand why people think Colorado is overrated, in all the states I've lived in (other than Colorado of course) I really only heard people mention Colorado maybe 5 times. I heard people mention California, New York, Florida, New England, Texas, Utah, Massachusetts and the Pacific Northwest much more often as nice places.

This includes living in Texas, California, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Oklahoma, Michigan, New Jersey, Virginia, Nevada, and Louisiana. (military family, it's not that I wanted to move this often or had money)

But hey that's just my experience.
meh... who cares about them, Negative Nancys and Debbie Downers bringing it down. I choose to be happy and Colorado rocks my world!

Old 03-16-2013, 12:59 AM

167 posts, read 277,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgd717 View Post
My Fiancé and I are moving there soon. We're quite excited about the Boulder Denver area. We heard great things about the people and air quality, not to mention some scenery. What do you like most about Colorado? Any favorite things to see and do? What can you tell me about the people and laws, etc.
I dont live there, but have driven through. I must say its beautiful and is constantly listed as having the best fit people and having the least obeisity problems. So even though I dont live in Colorado I respect it and would no mind moving to it one day.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:07 AM

802 posts, read 977,149 times
like the Sierras, the Rockies are upstream and Colorado boundaries encompass most of the fresh water source for much of the continent. that will be important as the climate changes and the oceans fill with melting ice bergs. while its heritage is tainted by environmental and native exploitation, its present and future national leadership position is a beacon of light.

i suggest people learn how to cook with fresh, local ingredients and stop going to overpriced restaurants. it's Colorado food!

Old 03-16-2013, 10:03 AM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
So many states are arbitrary entities, and certainly the "four corners" states are lines on a map. I think what makes any state its own entity is whatever laws/freedoms/restrictions/taxes/etc. have been enacted by the state government, which apply within that usually-arbitrary entity.
I saw a neat re-do of the U.S. by areas of influence and how the areas actually work economically and living patterns and all. I think it was called "The 13 States of America." For instance, New England was one state, with Boston as its capital. Western Mass. was assigned to the New York state, with NYC as the capital. New Jersey was eliminated (something I've long thought was a good idea, since I'm from there). South Jersey became part of the Delaware Valley state, with Philly as the capital, and north Jersey became part of New York. Etc.
I don't remember how the Southwest was drawn, as I wasn't paying attention to it then. But I doubt Colorado would have the same boundaries it has now.

I'm sure many people do look at a state (great or otherwise) by the laws that govern inside its borders. But for the culture(s) of a state, or the geography, it's a wild guess as to what refers to a specific state and what is an accident of a pencil line on a map.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:21 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
Lines on a map are indeed arbitrary. Not only state lines, but country lines too. The birds, from their higher perspective, pay no attention to them.

Old 03-16-2013, 10:45 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,066,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneNative View Post
What I like most about Colorado is that is has one of the more robust and vibrant Catholic and evangelical scenes in the country. It's not just "part of the culture" as it is in other parts of the country, so Colorado's religious population has to carve a niche out for itself. A friend told me that Bl. Pope John Paul II saw Denver as the hub of the New Evangelization, which, I'm sure, is why he chose Denver for World Youth Day in the 90s. In many ways, Colorado's religious scene is a primer on how to do faith in postmodern, 21st Century America.
This is funny, because the libertarian vibe is what I love. I have not felt the "robust and vibrant" Catholic scene.

Last edited by lurtsman; 03-16-2013 at 10:56 AM..

Old 03-16-2013, 01:21 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,066,538 times
It took quite a while to read all nine pages. I noticed that there are some people who dislike Colorado--usually without stating a reason. (Not a dig at jazzlover, who is quick to provide reasons) Some people feel it is over rated, which is a hard concept because it requires knowing both the intrinsic value and the perception. I consider it the greatest state in the country, but I respect that others have differences. I'm proud of our state for closing the door on bigotry. I'm proud of our state for leading the way (tied with washington) on legalizing MJ. I'm proud of our state for having tax control laws that prevent harvesting money off unwilling citizens.

I'm biased. I know that I'm biased. I've traveled the country some, but not near as much as our veterans. I spent a good deal of time in Iowa, and I didn't care for it one bit. I didn't try to ruin the fun for people that did like it, but I can appreciate being clear about your feelings.

I sometimes have a hard time understanding people that do not like it here, because it has been exactly what I wanted. It wasn't what I wanted because I randomly moved here and liked it, I did research for 18 months learning a great deal about different parts of the country. Once I knew exactly where we would fit in, we made a visit, confirmed we were right, and scheduled our move. I think if more people did that, they would be happy with the place they picked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado