U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 08:36 PM

486 posts, read 1,272,752 times

Advertisements

Did that get your attention?

yeah, me too - I just found out this morning, along with the rest of the community.

Many of us here in Fremont County are furious! The St Cloud Hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places - so I don't know how demolition is even possible. And how did it get so far along in the permitting process through the City of Canon City without anyone knowing about it?

I live like 20 steps away from the St Cloud Hotel - why were the neighbors not notified?

If anyone can shed some light on this issue - please pipe in! I am bambozzled by this news.

Here's a blog post I did about it today:
Urgent! Save the St. Cloud Hotel! | ~ House Crazy ~

Here's the Canon City Daily Record article about it:
Efforts under way to save St. Cloud Hotel - Canon City Daily Record
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 08:39 PM

16,488 posts, read 20,864,129 times
I think I am becoming ill just thinking about this. Say it ain't so!

Old 12-05-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I think I am becoming ill just thinking about this. Say it ain't so!
It is true. There was a community meeting about it tonight (I wasn't able to attend) but it doesn't look like much can be done about it. I am trying to get more information but time is so short!

Why the heck were we not notified beforehand???

Old 12-05-2012, 10:03 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,008,682 times
Default St. Cloud Hotel

“It's been a very difficult endeavor for the current owners because they are emotionally attached to the building,” Walker said. “They understand its historic value.” [1]

Yes, to the extent of tearing down the St. Cloud Hotel on Friday. If this is all the public notice anyone has received, one might wonder how "attached" to saving this property the owners really are. Perhaps more as a public relations relations stunt, as in, "see, we spent one whole day trying to garner sufficient support, and unfortunately ran out of time."

Or, perhaps something else this reminds me of: the iconic National Lampoon magazine cover of a worried dog with a revolver to its head, and the inscription something like, "buy this magazine or we'll shoot this dog." Or in this case, have the public put $1,000,000 into our private property only accessed at $443,330 or we'll tear it down.

Strange, I was under the impression that being on the National Register of historic places meant something. But perhaps the St. Cloud Hotel is only "contributing" to it, so not actually so designated. And apparently not for very much longer, either.

How come I have the feeling this wouldn't happen in Durango?

1) 'Efforts under way to save St. Cloud Hotel,' Cañon City Daily Record
Sense of urgency under way to save St. Cloud Hotel - Canon City Daily Record

Old 12-06-2012, 07:37 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,215,843 times
This is sad. Those old buildings are what gives that town character. I sure hope they can act fast to save it.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idunn View Post
“It's been a very difficult endeavor for the current owners because they are emotionally attached to the building,” Walker said. “They understand its historic value.” [1]

Yes, to the extent of tearing down the St. Cloud Hotel on Friday. If this is all the public notice anyone has received, one might wonder how "attached" to saving this property the owners really are. Perhaps more as a public relations relations stunt, as in, "see, we spent one whole day trying to garner sufficient support, and unfortunately ran out of time."

Or, perhaps something else this reminds me of: the iconic National Lampoon magazine cover of a worried dog with a revolver to its head, and the inscription something like, "buy this magazine or we'll shoot this dog." Or in this case, have the public put $1,000,000 into our private property only accessed at $443,330 or we'll tear it down.

Strange, I was under the impression that being on the National Register of historic places meant something. But perhaps the St. Cloud Hotel is only "contributing" to it, so not actually so designated. And apparently not for very much longer, either.

How come I have the feeling this wouldn't happen in Durango?
1) 'Efforts under way to save St. Cloud Hotel,' Cañon City Daily Record
Sense of urgency under way to save St. Cloud Hotel - Canon City Daily Record
I completely agree with you Idunn - it does seem like a stunt to get the community to foot the bill for this private real estate investment company. If they are losing so much money from the building, they should cut their losses and LOWER their asking price. For the right price someone will buy it and be able to do a proper restoration. They are currently asking $250,000. Lower the price at least $50,000. Yes, they will take a hit financially, but I wonder how much it is costing them to have the building demolished? The St Cloud Hotel is known to have asbestos issues. I can just imagine what the remediation measures would cost.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM

463 posts, read 976,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
The St Cloud Hotel is known to have asbestos issues. I can just imagine what the remediation measures would cost.
Are you sure about this? Seek an injunction. Petition that the demolition would unfairly expose the community to asbestos dust.

Old 12-06-2012, 08:07 PM

463 posts, read 976,353 times
Better yet: Go down to the demolition with other concerned citizens. Bring video cameras. Film the demolition and more importantly, film yourselves being exposed to the asbestos dust during demolition. Then sue the BeJesus off the owners until they cry for mercy.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:13 PM

7,142 posts, read 8,819,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sesamekid View Post
Many of us here in Fremont County are furious! The St Cloud Hotel is on the National Register of Historic Places - so I don't know how demolition is even possible. And how did it get so far along in the permitting process through the City of Canon City without anyone knowing about it?
The National Register of Historic Places, is a joke. The National Register designation isn't worth the paper it's printed on. They still let anyone with enough money to buy it, destroy it.

Old 12-07-2012, 12:15 AM

21,838 posts, read 10,190,022 times
The sad thing is that you've got that ugly strip along US-50...but that is practical. Then you've got a rather nice downtown that -- the couple of days I walked around down there -- was pretty deserted. Somebody ought to start looking at what y'all want Canon City to be into the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado