U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2012, 03:40 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,686,833 times

Advertisements

A very good article on the future of our skiing and riding and it doesn't look good.
The End of Snow Sports? | Outside Magazine's Articles | OutsideOnline.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 05:42 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,010,341 times
Wink 70 percent?

"He points to one study that shows snowpack in the Cascades and Sierra Nevada could fall by 70 percent by 2050." [1]

The Sierra Nevada and Cascades traditionally receive a LOT of snow; anything in Colorado would look meagre in comparison. Hard to fathom, but if really 70 percent less snow there by 2050—and I presume that doesn't as much mean the northern Cascades—then the outlook for Colorado and its ski industry could not be good.

1) 'The End of Snow Sports?,' Outside

Old 12-07-2012, 09:06 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,654,318 times
As more data comes out that might show these scenarios as likely, will our leaders heed the warnings and do anything to curb growth & water usage?

My guess is that status quo/short-term thinking will prevail as usual, and CO could end up with too many people and not enough water - growing houses will be more a priority than growing food.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:22 AM

If I were King I'd start with mandatory xeriscaping. What a waste of H20.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:50 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,654,318 times
It's a perfect storm lining up that we can see ... persistent drought, growing population, a push to increase oil & gas recovery (i.e. fracking), a stagnant economy, increased taxes/cost of living, ski industry potentially going belly-up in the next few decades, farming & ag struggling ...

What could possibly go wrong?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:44 AM

The latest Monarch has ever opened is Dec. 15. I think that may change this winter.
300 people are twiddling their thumbs in Salida right now.

Old 12-07-2012, 01:30 PM

20,812 posts, read 38,988,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
It's a perfect storm lining up that we can see ... persistent drought, growing population, a push to increase oil & gas recovery (i.e. fracking), a stagnant economy, increased taxes/cost of living, ski industry potentially going belly-up in the next few decades, farming & ag struggling ...

What could possibly go wrong?
Locusts, earthquakes, pandemic.....all the fun stuffs
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:52 PM

16 posts, read 53,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
A very good article on the future of our skiing and riding and it doesn't look good.

I read a great article by Alberto Gorez, the noted S. American global cooling climatologist, who says we are going into an ice age. Have you noticed all of the record breaking cold all over the world this year, most notably in the southern hemisphere...... But even California is shivering......would you like to buy some carbon debits to help warm things back up?

lmao

Old 01-16-2013, 04:10 PM

5,065 posts, read 9,045,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd Chance View Post
I read a great article by Alberto Gorez, the noted S. American global cooling climatologist, who says we are going into an ice age. Have you noticed all of the record breaking cold all over the world this year, most notably in the southern hemisphere...... But even California is shivering......would you like to buy some carbon debits to help warm things back up?

lmao
Makes sense until you hear Sydney at the same time is hitting 104 and higher with regularity. Its climate change with warming being felt on an annual basis.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:27 PM

16 posts, read 53,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Makes sense until you hear Sydney at the same time is hitting 104 and higher with regularity. Its climate change with warming being felt on an annual basis.

Nope,

The global warming scientists have already been caught in their lies and the earth has been cooling since 1997.......so says the very data that these bogus "scientists" surpressed for over 16 years.

You must get all of your "News" from Al Gore and the "ladies" from "The View"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado