U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 10:47 AM

3 posts, read 13,895 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

I am newly registered to this forum, but I have found great information from experienced posters. Could anyone comment on buying a park model trailer out-of-state, and moving it to a location in Colorado?

I have the remote property to put it, and I don't anticipate any regulations that prevent me from living in an RV of the maximum size (400 sq ft).

Has anyone purchased an RV out of state? How does the sales tax work? If I purchase the park model in Minnesota (5.5%), how does taxation affect me once I bring it to Colorado for registration, etc.? Any regulations on moving a park model on Colorado roads?

I have seen these park model units for a very reasonable price elsewhere in the country, but why can't I find any in Colorado? Is there something I am missing? Living in one sounds like a great way to live rent free or without a loan.

Any thoughts or experiences are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 11:54 AM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
I don't know what a "park model trailer" is, but I suggest that you contact the State Department of Motor Vehicles and ask them your questions about sales tax. And you should contact the State Department of Transportation and ask them about moving this trailer on the roadways. For both I would be prepared to give them specifics on size, weight, etc.

How will you get this trailer to your remote property? Is there a driveway? Although you don't anticipate any regulations preventing you from living in it, you should probably be sure by contacting your local county government.

Old 12-11-2012, 01:37 PM

Thanks for the reply!

A park model is the largest size an RV can be without being considered a modular or other type of home. A modular needs a permit for moving, and I think a park model doesn't, but I thought I would ask the interwebs.

I called the DMV and they suggested the best solution was to not pay any sales tax until I returned with the item to Colorado. If I did pay out of state tax, however, it could be deducted from my Colorado tax.

The final destination has a drive, and great setting. I can't find any local regulations that would spoil my plans. What could possibly go wrong, right?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,224,294 times
Make sure the property you are putting it on is not subject to covenants and other restrictions that would prevent you from parking it there for an extended period. If the lot is part of a subdivision, it most likely has covenants that may have restrictions for this. Also check the county land use regulations because many counties have restrictions on 'camping' or living in RV's for extended periods of time.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:28 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,927,004 times
I would find out what the county guidelines are for leveling, plumbing, underpinning and so forth. I set many in the RV park that I managed, the county can cause many problems. Also, what are the charges going to be to haul the park model?

Old 12-11-2012, 02:42 PM

I am checking the county regulations now...

The cost of transport will be five or six hundred dollars in fuel. I plan on pulling it myself.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 09-14-2013, 01:19 AM

200 posts, read 371,894 times
Hey LinWest,

Did this ever work out for you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or