Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2012, 03:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,424 times

Advertisements

I want to build a home in westclife and i'm looking for someone to run the job it will be a timber home so i will need someone that is familar with sip pannals and timber home building any sugestions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 04:07 PM

462 posts, read 1,173,587 times
I don't know any builders up there so I can't recommend anyone. Sips are nice and fast but be aware that green building is popular up in the mountains. You could skin the house in straw bales for better R value. Yes, slower and more labor intensive with bucking your opennings and plastering your walls but you would get the cost back on resale. Just something to think about....

Old 12-16-2012, 07:33 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,246 times
Good luck with that. Most timber framers want you to build a house where they supply the materials & labor. You need someone to design & build the frame unless you're planning to cut all of the joints, etc, yourself. Most counties will require an engineering stamp so your design will need to be run through an engineer regardless.

I'm building a Timber frame home in Durango with ground breaking scheduled for March 2014. I'll be working with Wind Driver Timber Frames in Mancos. After submitting a preliminary design to them for pricing, they will prepare a completed design with construction plans. I will be the GC on the project so they're essentially just a "shell builder" for me. They're a well established reputable timber framer with many customer references & houses built. Wind River Timberframes - custom timber frame design and construction

They will GC the project for you (at a cost of course) so if that's what you're looking for, they can do it. Besides them, there are many timber framers in CO to choose from. Just do a Google search.

Attached Thumbnails
Building a timber home-fp2-layout1.jpg  

Last edited by DurangoJoe; 12-16-2012 at 07:57 AM..

Old 12-16-2012, 11:15 AM

68 posts, read 172,265 times
Default I have one

Large D logs with huge timbers throughout the inside. Things I would consider doing it again:

Exterior maintenance. We are slowly stuccoing portions of our dormers and gables for ease.

Can you or your contractor really get up there and do a nice job of finishing all that wood/timber? My ceiling is 28 feet. There is some poor finish work up high and dust I will never get up to remove. You never notice from the ground though

I am not sure what your anticipated system is? We have been lucky in that ours has not settled much at all which has made any sealing and chinking more permanent. My home never whistled with wind. When it is warm it stays warm. When it gets cold it takes a roaring fire in the huge Norwegian wood stove to get all the air space up to temp.

House looks super neat and is the envy of the neighborhood/town. When we finally get it where we want it I will probably NEVER want to sell it, though lately there are days
Attached Thumbnails
Building a timber home-house.jpg  

Old 12-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcliffe View Post
Large D logs with huge timbers throughout the inside. Things I would consider doing it again:

Exterior maintenance. We are slowly stuccoing portions of our dormers and gables for ease.

Can you or your contractor really get up there and do a nice job of finishing all that wood/timber? My ceiling is 28 feet. There is some poor finish work up high and dust I will never get up to remove. You never notice from the ground though

I am not sure what your anticipated system is? We have been lucky in that ours has not settled much at all which has made any sealing and chinking more permanent. My home never whistled with wind. When it is warm it stays warm. When it gets cold it takes a roaring fire in the huge Norwegian wood stove to get all the air space up to temp.

House looks super neat and is the envy of the neighborhood/town. When we finally get it where we want it I will probably NEVER want to sell it, though lately there are days
I had similar concerns about building a log home. Always loved the look & style in general, but I was advised by a relative to be very, very concerned about the required exterior maintenance. Colorado climate is tough on exterior wood in general and having owned a cedar sided house in the Northeast that needed scraping & painting every few years, I had no desire to get myself into that much exterior maintenance in a house ever again.

I plan to be stone & stucco. Skinning the timber frame with SIP panels so overall, the shell will be a quick process once started. At 3500 SF, I expect it will be rather cavernous as well, at least the great room and open loft areas. It's 29' as designed from the great room floor level to the main gable ridge beam running the length of the house.

Old 12-16-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYBYNJ View Post
I want to build a home in westclife and i'm looking for someone to run the job it will be a timber home so i will need someone that is familar with sip pannals and timber home building any sugestions
Can you provide more details on what you mean when you say "run the job"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado