U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2012, 01:49 PM

936 posts, read 1,826,010 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were in Aspen for our honeymoon about 15 years ago and ate at an italian restaurant that may have gone out of business. I dont' remember the name and was trying to find it using search engines but can't seem to find it.

It was a restaurant that was located below street level and was just a small privately own italian restaurant and not one of the chain restaurants. I thought the name might have been the name of a person, but could be wrong on that.

I'd appreciate if anyone has any information on this restaurant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2012, 04:27 PM

352 posts, read 588,735 times
Uh......could you be less specific?

Old 12-16-2012, 04:39 PM

2,019 posts, read 4,323,534 times
I know the restaurant you are talking about because I've eaten there also, but I can't recall the name!
Could it be Mezzaluna? If so, it is still there. Mezzaluna Aspen | An Aspen Colorado tradition since 1987
edit: nope, I Googled for photos and it is not below street level. Or maybe they moved locations?

Perhaps you should post this on Trip Advisor - there are people who are very familiar with Aspen and may be able to help.

Old 12-16-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Uh......could you be less specific?
Coulde you be less helpful? Even now, there are only about a dozen italian restaurants in Aspen. So someone who was living there during that time period could easily remember it. If I had the name and address then I'd hardly need to ask on this forum.

Neditate- thank you very much for the suggestion. It was not Mezzaluna. It was indeed one of the smaller restaurants and not one of commonly known ones with obviously large financial backing. I'll try TripAdvisor too.

Old 12-17-2012, 01:46 AM

2,561 posts, read 5,009,192 times
CCampo de Fiori - Authentic Italian Dining in Aspen and Vail, Colorado ???

Old 12-17-2012, 12:15 PM

Scott- thank you too but that isn't it. I did look at their website and photos just to double check.

Old 12-17-2012, 08:35 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
I'd have a look at the Aspen city business map and see if that jogs your memory:

Aspen Maps - City Map - Trails Map - Ski Maps - Official Information

When I was working in and out of Aspen for seven years last decade, I had to know the town inside and out by memory and I don't recall the restaurant you are talking about. Aspen is just not that big and most of the restaurants are concentrated on a few streets.

There is one place below street level that might have been it and it's apparently occupied by Syzygy now.

Old 12-17-2012, 11:27 PM

Thanks for the suggestion. There might not be that many restaurants below street level so by having some suggestions of the current restaurants I'm able to do some searching to see if there was any press release about any 'former' restaurants that were in the same location.

Unfortunately, Google maps doesn't have street scenes for most areas in Aspen and that really hurts my search efforts.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:48 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yousah View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. There might not be that many restaurants below street level so by having some suggestions of the current restaurants I'm able to do some searching to see if there was any press release about any 'former' restaurants that were in the same location.

Unfortunately, Google maps doesn't have street scenes for most areas in Aspen and that really hurts my search efforts.
Aspen isn't going anywhere, so I'm sure you could go back and look around. I would reckon other than one, there are no other below street level restaurants in Aspen.

Even if you did find it, the restaurant business in these high end resort towns is harsh and uncompromising. Aspen does have some long standing restaurants that have been around for a while and most of those are well known. Probably even if you found the exact location, the place has been long since renovated and probably under different ownership.

Old 12-18-2012, 10:07 PM

My main interest was for one of nostalgia. We went there on our honeymoon and at other times that we visited. It seems to be changing faster in recent years with the higher downtown rents. Seems like more of the long time businesses have gone out of business.

I'd like to get back there soon and was doing some searching to see what I'd still be familiar with and could visit again. But there's no doubt that there's no lack of world class dining experiences there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or