U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:16 PM

10 posts, read 15,397 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Illinois, and I hate it here. I want desperately to move, and both me and my mom believe that Colorado would be the best place for me. I love being outdoors and doing activities, which Illinois lacks of (as in, having things to do besides drinking). The cost of living in this state is through the roof, and finding a good paying job so you can afford a house is almost impossible. Even working two jobs, keeping a home is hard to do.

Anyways, my main reason for posting this is not as a "What part of this state is the best?", but to see what your opinions of living in Colorado are in general. Would you move ASAP, if you had the chance, or would you stay? How is the cost of living, employment, activities, etc? Mainly just what you think about living there so I can get a better idea of what it's really like. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:25 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,196,764 times
Also from IL. Totally agree with the lack of outdoors culture in IL. I hate having to drive up to WI in order to get some real camping in

Old 12-19-2012, 10:40 PM

10 posts, read 15,397 times
Yeah I live in Southern Illinois, so the closest place for me to go to are the Ozarks in Missouri. I live close to the Illinois Ozarks (actually work in them), but it's mainly just caves and wooded area.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:00 AM

13,292 posts, read 25,459,767 times
Regarding outdoors, no contest.
But I'm sure others will mention cost of living, jobs (or lack thereof), lower wages, and all the same financial concerns with better scenery.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:09 AM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
What kind of jobs are you looking for? What activities do you like to do? Why do you and your Mom believe that Colorado would be the best place for you? Have you ever visited the state? Most of the jobs are in the large cities along the I-25 corridor. Hopefully you aren't expecting to live in a small mountain town for your activities.

Have you done much reading through the many threads about living in Colorado?

Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,019,284 times
Wink As at last understood

Dreams when realized metamorphose into reality. Those of Colorado often of fabulous scenery and many outdoor activities—possibly truly found, at a price.

When postcards materialize before one's eyes, then maybe of the crowds of tourists just off to stage right, or this the first excursion out of Denver in the last two months. This can be a beautiful state, yet the reality for most is a form of suburban living not all that dissimilar from much of the United States. The greater populace along the Front Range have a fine view of the Rocky Mountains, which the more determined mange to visit on regular occasions, and relatively few even live within. Most probably appreciate the lack of humidity and overall climate. Enough so to overlook some of the negatives, as expressed in part in a higher cost of living compared to much of this nation other than the coasts. Those having lived here for any length of time remain for a reason, but also in understanding that here too there are no panaceas.

Wherever one travels there they are. Although each place is imbued with its own nature, felt and flowing through all who live there. For some the mountains are enough to warrant the costs born in various ways. Each must determine it for themselves.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:59 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,594,540 times
In 1977 at the age of twelve I along with my mother moved from Alton, IL to Sterling Colorado.

A bit more than half the state is flat and rolling prairie that is only another color other than it's indigenous brown from crops like soy beans and wheat that are primarily watered via above ground pivot irrigation.
The landscape is also treeless and because of such the wind at times can drive you mad.

Colorado is extremely dry, waterless and sits at high altitude which would take quite awhile for someone from the
mid west and east to grow accustomed to. Due to it's geography it suffers each summer from drought and because of that water restrictions are strictly enforced.
The front range which encompasses the vast number of Colorado's population is burdened with sprawl, air pollution, astronomical home prices and an increase in crime.

If one would have financial difficulty living on the front range due to the cost of real estate, etc your difficulties will be compounded exponentially if you attempt a mountain town in which to live.
The cost of living in the mountains is beyond what many can comprehend in terms of even the most basic of staples like groceries.

If you do live in the Denver area, Colorado Springs, or really any enclave along the front range when you do go to the mountains for recreation it will take you as long if not longer to get to your destination than the places that you frequent in IL, MO, etc.
Depending on where your going in the mountains and at what time and season you could be waiting in traffic jams on the major routes west like I-70 for hours before you get to where you want to go.

I lived for over 22 years in the Denver metro area so my knowledge on the subject is extensive.
I held a good job so I felt trapped and unable to move back east during much of that time.

Finally in 2009 I was able to transfer to Pennsylvania so once again I could be around the lush green landscapes and hardwood forests of my youth.

I truly missed the color green and if you actually move to Colorado you WILL understand what many from the mid west and east say when they lament the fact that all they see is a brown, treeless existence.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:37 AM

8,317 posts, read 25,777,680 times
Chicagoland definitely has a higher cost of living than metro Colorado, but salaries are also usually higher. Outside of Chicagoland, costs of living in Illinois will be generally less than Colorado. Illinois has excessively high effective tax rates on property, but, outside of Chicagoland, home values are generally much less than Colorado. Illinois has managed (or mismanaged) itself into a fiscal mess that is worse than Colorado's, but Colorado will probably be in such dire fiscal straits just as bad within not too many years.

Unlike Colorado, Illinois does not treat agriculture like a red-headed stepchild (even though agriculture remains a mainstay of the Colorado economy). Not only that, but industries related to and dependent on agriculture are found all over Illinois, and provide a lot of good-paying jobs. Not so in Colorado. Decent-paying blue collar jobs in Colorado, on the other hand, are a shrinking commodity. Sooner or later, that basic economic defect will negatively affect the large white-collar and service economy that dominates Colorado. Despite all of its warts, I would bet on the Illinois economy withstanding the coming economic shocks in this country much better than Colorado's will. Illinois has a decent industrial base, a lot of agriculture, a lot of corporate headquarters, along with being the major rail transportation hub for the whole United States. All of which the Colorado economy lacks.

Colorado has an agreeable climate, outstanding natural beauty (what hasn't been wrecked by development, that is), and a lot of recreation activities. Little of that matters, though, to people here who are struggling--probably more than you are--to make a living in a state where that is becoming more and more difficult to do. By the way, the posters on this forum who spout, "Sure, move here, it's great," are, by and large, retirees who brought a big pension with them from somewhere else and don't have a clue what it's like to actually have to try to make a living here. Either that, or they are white-collar professionals who can pretty much pick anyplace that they want to live. Point being that, for most, to live even half-way comfortably here takes money--and more of it than a lot of other places. If you have it, Colorado can be great, if you don't--well Colorado is pretty tough.

Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 AM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Fraggle, check the Cost Of Living calculators between Denver and where you are, it may be a wash given there's a lot to choose from in Denver Metro Area which has about 3M people and most of the jobs in the state. Boulder is very expensive but other areas to also consider as you do your research are Colo Springs and Fort Collins. Look at realtor.com and padmapper.com for sales/rentals in these regions.

Job is key, as is your budget; tell us those two things and we'll give you pretty good advice.

Are you anywhere near Belleville, IL?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:55 PM

5,682 posts, read 9,417,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggleFraggle View Post
I currently live in Illinois, and I hate it here. I want desperately to move, and both me and my mom believe that Colorado would be the best place for me. I love being outdoors and doing activities, which Illinois lacks of (as in, having things to do besides drinking). The cost of living in this state is through the roof, and finding a good paying job so you can afford a house is almost impossible. Even working two jobs, keeping a home is hard to do.
Well, unfortunately I think you'll find Colorado to be a bit more expensive than many of the other states.

Quote:
Anyways, my main reason for posting this is not as a "What part of this state is the best?", but to see what your opinions of living in Colorado are in general. Would you move ASAP, if you had the chance, or would you stay? How is the cost of living, employment, activities, etc? Mainly just what you think about living there so I can get a better idea of what it's really like. Thanks
[/quote]

I think Colorado is a good place to live if you don't mind dry air and you don't need a whole lot of city life to keep you happy. Denver is okay but it can be a little boring. As for outdoors stuff, of course, you can't beat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or