U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 09:35 PM

29 posts, read 37,575 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some help. We are relocating and Colorado is one of our options. We have narrowed down a little but niether of us have been here for a long time. This is what we are looking for but we are somewhat flexible of course.
  • Medical jobs either as a CNA, CMA, or Human Services within the healthcare or not for profit organization
  • Welding jobs with advancement opportunities
  • An area with a walmart and a Bestbuy close by (men I tell ya)
  • Population is not a big deal for the most part but we are looking for something with a
    • pool
    • Rec. or fitness Center
    • good schools (gals are 3rd graders atm one of our gals lhas a learning disability she has issues with recall and dyslexia as well so effective assistive programs within the area and tutoring would definately beb a plus)
    • community activities and groups
    • prefer jobs to be available within a 30 mile distance
    • active community
    • safe enviroment for the girls (little drug and violence within the area)
    • we are very active so we like to be able to do things especially outdoors
  • We either want a place that is good for motorcycling and perferrably an area of less wind chill. I was informed it is not the snow or temp. that gets you it is the wind chill in certain areas. It can snow for we like to snowmobile but I prefer not being frozen to the vehicle . If we do have to drivev a ways though to get to an area with jobs we would look more towards less snow as well. I also like to garden, we like to sit out and have fires, bike, walk,
  • I am sure the income will be different then here in good ole Iowa so I would guess around a range of $800 renting for a 3 bedroom house
  • We also are looking for an area that is down to earth we are in middle class to high but we are not ones for snobby areas that you are expected to have your lawn mowed this day of the week this long or you have to present yourself in an particular way. If I feel like poo I am going to go to the store in my jammies and be content with it We enjoy a friendly community where we can let nenighbors know we are grilling out and having a beer come join and what not. Plain simple maybe even redneck
La Junta is an area we have been looking at but there is an hour+ drive to get to many bigger areas so exploring our options. Please let me know of any strong recommendations or if you have any other areas you would like me to specify or breakdown for ya'll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
You are looking in the wrong state. You would be lucky to find a one bedroom apartment for $800 a month. For a three bedroom house in a decent neighborhood with good schools, the rent would be closer to $2,000 a month. The rental market in Denver right now is very tight, and landlords can charge (and get) high rates.

If you spend some time looking through threads here, you will find that most medical jobs are going to be in the larger cities along the Front Range (Ft. Collins/Boulder/Denver/Colorado Springs/Pueblo). In fact, that's where most of the jobs of any kind are going to be found. Once you find the job, the rest of what you are looking for (except housing) will be easy to find.

I bet the weather is nicer in Colorado than in Iowa. The sun shines a great deal in the winter, and with the low humidity it doesn't feel all that cold. Wind chill is an infrequent factor.

Old 12-22-2012, 10:19 PM

I understand cost of living varies from state to state that is why I am asking information. I also noted that that is what we were looking for but that is high for Iowa rentals in many areas so I figured it woulld be higher over that way. I will have to look into some of those area the few I have looked into weren't renting in the 2,000 range at all to be honest. I believe the highest was 1,050. It is an area we visited and was a nice area as well. We are still looking and calling around about the different areas, housing prices ect though. Thank you for the options though I will have to look more into these areas to see what I can find. I appreciate the quick response. I also run a business out of home so this is a guaranteed income and makes more than enough for rent we have found thus far.

Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
For $800/month you'll need to look at areas well away from the Denver Metro Area / Front Range.

Pueblo area might work, or Canon City, perhaps some places on the western slope, over near Grand Junction or out on the eastern plains.

The limiting factor is the rental budget; you will most likely have to forego some of your wish list.

Search with realtor.com or padmapper.com and/or other rental sites.

Here's a list of COLO newspapers so you can search the classified ads.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-23-2012, 01:25 PM

Default thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
For $800/month you'll need to look at areas well away from the Denver Metro Area / Front Range.

Pueblo area might work, or Canon City, perhaps some places on the western slope, over near Grand Junction or out on the eastern plains.

The limiting factor is the rental budget; you will most likely have to forego some of your wish list.

Search with realtor.com or padmapper.com and/or other rental sites.

Here's a list of COLO newspapers so you can search the classified ads.

Thank you. This is very helpful. We know that cost of living is hirer and are capable of more we just tired to estimate how much it may be. I am gratified by the assistance. Thank you so much for the different site to consider looking into.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:26 AM

103 posts, read 351,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynamic duo View Post
I am looking for some help. We are relocating and Colorado is one of our options. We have narrowed down a little but niether of us have been here for a long time. This is what we are looking for but we are somewhat flexible of course.
  • Medical jobs either as a CNA, CMA, or Human Services within the healthcare or not for profit organization
  • Population is not a big deal for the most part but we are looking for something with a
    • pool
    • Rec. or fitness Center
    • good schools (gals are 3rd graders atm one of our gals lhas a learning disability she has issues with recall and dyslexia as well so effective assistive programs within the area and tutoring would definately beb a plus)
    • active community
  • We either want a place that is good for motorcycling and perferrably an area of less wind chill. I was informed it is not the snow or temp. that gets you it is the wind chill in certain areas. It can snow for we like to snowmobile but I prefer not being frozen to the vehicle . If we do have to drivev a ways though to get to an area with jobs we would look more towards less snow as well. I also like to garden, we like to sit out and have fires, bike, walk,
  • I am sure the income will be different then here in good ole Iowa so I would guess around a range of $800 renting for a 3 bedroom house
  • We also are looking for an area that is down to earth we are in middle class to high but we are not ones for snobby areas that you are expected to have your lawn mowed this day of the week this long or you have to present yourself in an particular way. If I feel like poo I am going to go to the store in my jammies and be content with it We enjoy a friendly community where we can let nenighbors know we are grilling out and having a beer come join and what not. Plain simple maybe even redneck
La Junta is an area we have been looking at but there is an hour+ drive to get to many bigger areas so exploring our options. Please let me know of any strong recommendations or if you have any other areas you would like me to specify or breakdown for ya'll.
Dynamic Duo.....I will direct message you with further information, but felt like I should post briefly on general forum. There are many small communities in Colorado that would be worth exploring. Since you specifically mentioned La Junta, I will provide some information on the thread. I feel like I may know as much about the community as other posters on this thread, since I have lived here for 43 years. (We only came with the expectation to stay a year.....guess we must have liked it.)

La Junta is a definite "check" on all of your bullet points. Cannot argue with the hour+ drive to bigger areas, but you may find you don't need to do that unless you choose to. We choose to do it quite often...i.e., to go to Bronco games (Season Ticket holder....tailgate at the Fountain), USC Pueblo for football games, Colorado Springs for Air Force games, Denver for ballet, symphony, concerts.... Aurora for grandkids! It can easily be a 1 hour or so from one part of Denver to the other....all a matter of perspective.

As for the bullets....(and we don't have to travel for theater...we have a great theater group here!)
  • AVRMC (www.avrmc.org) has jobs available at competitive wages. I am on the Board, so I am quite familiar with it.
  • DeBourgh Manufacturing (www.debourgh.com) makes the finest corridor and athletic lockers in North America and Lewis Bolt and Nut (www.lewisbolt.com) is one the leading manufacturers of railroad spikes, bolts and anchors in the United States. Both are great opportunities for welders. And...there are many other possibilities.
  • Wal-Mart....no Best Buy!
  • All of the sub-bullets...great schools (retired after 30 years in this system), and SAFE community.
  • Great motorcycling opps closeby and 1 hour and 20 minutes (the way I drive) from Cuchara in the Sangre De Cristo range (Sangre de Cristo Mountains), one of the most beautiful and geologically significant mountain ranges in Colorado. Now about that gardening.....I raise over 800 chile plants from seed (60+ different kinds of hot, plus some mild) in my garden in the alley. And....we drink a lot of beer out there and no one complains....in fact they come and join us. (Even my son-in-law from Grand Mound/Dewitt Iowa likes this part!)
  • We are partners on a 3 bedroom rental in a nice part of town (2 houses south of the chile garden) that rents for $650/month. There are other equally as nice and equally as reasonable rentals in town.
  • We are a rural community....no covenants and no dress codes. My wife still can hang clothes out without an HOA complaining! And as for your last concern about grilling and drinking beer....refer to the alley above!
I will send you a lot more information in a direct message, but I wanted to point out publicly on the forum that La Junta could be a fit....as well as a lot of other small, rural communities in Colorado. And in fact....so could some areas in the bigger cities. We are a great State with a lot of Iowa transplants....I see Hawkeye stuff all over!

Good luck in your search.

I

Last edited by la junta econ devel; 12-26-2012 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: Overlooked grammatical mistake

Old 12-26-2012, 10:55 AM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
Quote:
I think Pueblo would be ideal for what you are looking for.

Quote:
We have two large regional hospitals and the state mental health institute that is expected to grow as the country focus on better mental health services. Pueblo is also the hub of 20 counties and as such has a lot of human services and not for profit companies.

Quote:

With the economy as it is finding a job in this area is hard but Pueblo is the manufacturing center in the state with a large steel mill and a bunch of other manufacturing companies.

Quote:

Pueblo has 3 Super Walmarts and the only Bestbuy in a 20 county region. We also have a mall with a Dillards, Sears, JC Penny and again the only mall like this in a 20 county region, and a lot of other stores. I can always find what I need in Pueblo.

Quote:
    • pool
    • Rec. or fitness Center
    • active community
Pueblo has all of these and if I did not feel safe here I would not live here.

Quote:
Pueblo has Pueblo Motor Sports Park and people drive from all over the state to use it. We, also, have a lot of bike trails and I have seen articles from all over the nation.

Quote:
You can find that in Pueblo as we are always one of the most affordable places to live in the nation.

Quote:
Pueblo is very down to earth yet we have many of the cultural amenities you would find in a large city from a nice performing arts theater, we are currently remodeling it and when complete should be one of the best in the state in my opinion, to a regional art center and large events centers. We have a convention center in downtown and they are going to add on to it and build a arena and we have a Riverwalk with a large outdoor amphitheater.

Quote:
La Junta is a nice town and my advise is to come out and look at a few cities and see what one best fits your families needs.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:17 AM

3,492 posts, read 4,932,778 times
Pueblo is the best fit for this case.

As mike said, you'll have to forego some of your list.

We moved to Colorado from Iowa. The cost of living is lower here. Iowa does not have nice 3 bedroom houses for 800/month. Not even close. We scoured the city very effectively and the best we could find (living near iowa city, granted) was about 780/month for a 2bed/2bath place that was just under a thousand square feet.

Since you referred to these other places as nice, it's clear that we are using a subjective word. The overall cost of living in Pueblo is significantly lower than anywhere in Iowa, and the weather is much nicer. Pueblo wasn't the right place for us, but we had a very different wish list when we moved. We live in the Springs. Housing is more expensive here than Pueblo, but it had the things that were on our wish list.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:32 PM

Thank you foro all of your responses. I do appreciate it very much. We had it narrowed down to La Junta, Pueblo, and Grand Junction area. We are hoping to get over that way in the summer and make it a week or so vacation to explore the different areas and opportunities available. We havev been fairly set toward La Junta thus far but I will do a bit more researching into Pueblo as well. I noticed that they are only an hour apart. The difference is really in the population. That is our current battle for I enjoy smaller areas and he wouldl like to try a larger town. So this will be convenient for our trip that they are near one another so won't be as bad of a road trip. The housing market has also shown a lot of diversity especially depending on the area in Pueblo. Is there any certain parts of Pueblo (streets, E W S N) That I may want to look more into for safety and a family environment. I know most places you go there seems to be a good and baad part of town. With it being a larger town this could narrow my search and givev me a better estimate of finances with the consideration. How about La Junta? I know it is not a huge town but should I look into any certain area when I am pricing and lookingn around. Especially when we come to visit.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:14 PM

12,174 posts, read 20,955,081 times
In Pueblo I would avoid the lower east side and Bessemer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or