U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 09:00 PM

85 posts, read 152,698 times

Advertisements

Currently my wife and I are living in Everett, WA, a city roughly the size of Boulder located about a half hour or north of Seattle. We were driving around tonight and sadly remarking to ourselves about what a crummy job, as a whole, western Washington seems to do when it comes to Christmas. We see few houses decorated, the downtown main street has this half-xxx lighting job (the lights only go halfway up the trees [which aren't tall by any means] and appear to be using some kind of ultra-dim bulbs. Frankly, it's pitiful), and you rarely see even the most modest effort at a nativity scene.

My wife is originally from the south, and though they never got snow down there, they 'did' Christmas in a big way -- lights, live nativity scenes, downtowns decked out, etc. I'm from the northeast, and while I've never seen a live nativity scene (she claims they are everywhere in some parts of the country), I do think northeastern folks do a bang-up job when it comes to house lighting, Christmas trees in the center of towns, festive bunting on light poles, etc.

Basically, we've both been hugely disappointed with the lack of Christmas spirit out here. Denver and the surrounding area was a place we were considering living at some point, but we're not going to be able to vacation there during the holidays. So, how well do you folks 'do' Christmas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 07:28 AM

86,878 posts, read 102,269,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastatoBaker View Post
Currently my wife and I are living in Everett, WA, a city roughly the size of Boulder located about a half hour or north of Seattle. We were driving around tonight and sadly remarking to ourselves about what a crummy job, as a whole, western Washington seems to do when it comes to Christmas. We see few houses decorated, the downtown main street has this half-xxx lighting job (the lights only go halfway up the trees [which aren't tall by any means] and appear to be using some kind of ultra-dim bulbs. Frankly, it's pitiful), and you rarely see even the most modest effort at a nativity scene.

My wife is originally from the south, and though they never got snow down there, they 'did' Christmas in a big way -- lights, live nativity scenes, downtowns decked out, etc. I'm from the northeast, and while I've never seen a live nativity scene (she claims they are everywhere in some parts of the country), I do think northeastern folks do a bang-up job when it comes to house lighting, Christmas trees in the center of towns, festive bunting on light poles, etc.

Basically, we've both been hugely disappointed with the lack of Christmas spirit out here. Denver and the surrounding area was a place we were considering living at some point, but we're not going to be able to vacation there during the holidays. So, how well do you folks 'do' Christmas?
The ski towns are usually all lit up. Denver has this display at the City-County building that some call "garish", but it's lots of lights. Pearl St. Mall in Boulder has lots of lights, and decorations in the trees. There is a lit star on Flagstaff mountain just west of Boulder. People in the Boulder neighborhoods don't do a lot. I believe some church in Boulder does a living nativity right at Christmas. Louisville is well decorated, and probably 50% of people have decorations on their houses and in the yards, e.g. reindeer, we have two light-up angels in the yard, etc. Louisville had a living nativity outside of City Hall for its Parade of Lights. (I have seen living nativities in the NE, though I can't tell you exactly where now.) We went to the Botanic Gardens festival of lights last night; it was beautiful. Some neighborhoods in Denver had lots of lights, some had few.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:40 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,881,407 times
The Denver City and County Building, the 16th St Mall and Union Station are always decorated for Christmas.

The zoo hosts its annual zoo lights celebration.

The Botanic Gardens has exhibits both at its central location and its working farm near the foothills.

Downtown Littleton is lit up nicely as are Hudson Gardens and several streets in the Denver Tech Center (I found no good pix for this).

The Denver Post also lets you know where to find the best holiday lights displays.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:57 PM

5,439 posts, read 8,106,600 times
^ Great post! Denver is very holiday oriented around this time of year!

Old 12-24-2012, 01:37 PM

85 posts, read 152,698 times
Aside from the big stuff, just in general, do you drive around and see a lot of houses decorated? Becuase here, I'd say you're lucky if one in ten so much as puts up candles in the windows.

Old 12-24-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShastatoBaker View Post
Aside from the big stuff, just in general, do you drive around and see a lot of houses decorated? Becuase here, I'd say you're lucky if one in ten so much as puts up candles in the windows.
See my previous post (#2). In addition, parts of Broomfield really light up, some areas of Lafayette, too.

Old 12-24-2012, 05:26 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
I think Colorado has always done Christmas pretty well overall. The ski towns are usually very nicely done up and often many lights are left up through the winter.

Old 12-24-2012, 07:30 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Baker, here's an idea of how people in COLO SPGS decorate for the holidays.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:16 PM

20 posts, read 20,500 times

Nitty Gritty Dirt Band - Colorado Christmas - YouTube

"Colorado Christmas" Nitty Gritty Dirt Band. "The closest thing to heaven on this planet anywhere/is a quiet Christmas morning in the Colorado snow."

It's not about the decorations. It's about the silence between the dark pines in the cathedral mountains and the way the world is quiet and pure and full of innocence on a Christmas morning. Or at least, that's what I got from 18 Christmases in Colorado.
'nuff said. Enjoy.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:37 PM

We went to our daughter's in Castle Rock. Lots of Christmas lights there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado