Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,294 times

Advertisements

I've decided to move to Colorado for the lifestyle. I love the outdoors, hiking, mountain biking, skiing, etc. The only problem is these activities are quite boring or nonexistent here in South Georgia.

I realize that it is going to be difficult to find a job while I'm still here in Georgia. I'll have somewhere between $7-10,000 saved up by this spring and plan to drive out and find a place to live and use my savings to float me until I find a job. I currently work as a mechanical engineering technician and would like to continue working in this same field. What would be a good location for me to look for work that isn't too far from the outdoor activities? I would like to be within an hours drive of a ski resort if possible.

Thanks,
-SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 04:10 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
Maybe start in Denver metro in a place like Lakewood (about 1 hr to ski in best circumstances), then change later / go further out if you want.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:48 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,997,570 times
Is it merely a coincidence that Colorado has a town called Colorado Springs and you are planning to move to Colorado in the spring. Maybe the universe is trying to tell you something!

Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 PM

914 posts, read 2,206,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
Is it merely a coincidence that Colorado has a town called Colorado Springs and you are planning to move to Colorado in the spring. Maybe the universe is trying to tell you something!
Humor aside, even the Springs most ardent advocates would not claim it is an hour drive to skiing from there. But you might find everything else you want there.

Old 12-13-2012, 09:03 AM

8,317 posts, read 29,471,711 times
The old saying really holds true here: "Before you jump off of the pier, you really need to make sure there is some water underneath it." I would not relocate to Colorado (or anywhere else these days) without having a job offer in hand--even if it meant standing the expense of some trips for interviews, etc. in order to secure such a job offer.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 14,204 times
Golden is closer to the mountains as well.

Old 12-26-2012, 04:13 AM

948 posts, read 1,386,151 times
As you are in engineering I'd look towards Golden theres several companies there that might gave goid jobd. Or Longmont Loveland. There's oil fields there. Fracking is becoming popular now to.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:21 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
I would be careful moving to Colorado thinking you will find a mechanical engineering job within a couple of months look heavily into the job market before moving. I have 2 guys I know that just had to leave Colorado due to lack of jobs in mechanical engineering, one ending up getting a job in Illinois and the other one somewhere down in Texas, engineering jobs are one of those jobs where they pay well enough to attract from throughout the country and Colorado is an attractive state at the moment plus you have the School of Mines in Golden spitting out engineering students. Highly competitive job market to say the least.

Old 12-28-2012, 09:07 PM

3 posts, read 8,361 times
In theory it's better to have a job first, but few companies are going to consider an out of state address in this economy when there's plenty of local talent. That was my experience anyway when I tried to find a job before I moved out 10 years ago. I wasn't able to, so I moved without a job and only a few hundred in savings and everything worked out.

If you must be within an hour of skiing, and your career is pretty specific, looks like your only choice is Denver metro. That said, I'd highly recommend Golden. You can still commute anywhere in the Denver area for work, but Golden itself feels pretty cut off from Denver, is an outdoors paradise, and is right on the entry into the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado