U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2013, 09:31 AM

2,519 posts, read 3,508,733 times

Advertisements

Channel 9 has some amazing on the ground video of fighting the fire during the 9ish news cast special report.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM

4,743 posts, read 4,371,767 times
I feel extremely frustrated because I STILL can't reach friends in Colorado Springs/Palmer Lake. I'm glad to hear from Mike that Palmer Lake is ok, anyhow. Is anyone else having trouble reaching cell phone numbers in the Colorado Springs area?

Old 06-14-2013, 10:56 AM

11,872 posts, read 7,316,419 times
(@ Colorado Rambler: I'm not.)

In other news, today someone posted me this on Facebook. What a terribly jerky thing for DirectTV to be doing. I hope they lose a lot of business as word of this gets around. Comcast doesn't do this. Don't know about DISH Network.

Reader's Digest version is: They are charging fire victims who lost everything, for the cost of the equipment burned on the property.

Their rationale is that the insurance company should cover it. The unwritten reality here is that by the time some of these folks are able to settle up with the insurance companies, and start trying to put their lives back together, if they haven't been able to come up with the money before that point out of their own pockets (and we all know they don't have anything better to do with whatever money they have, what with being put out of their homes and losing everything), they'll be deep in collections with DirectTV. I know a lady who lost her house last year in Waldo, and she's just now breaking ground on the new one because it took so long to get things ironed out with insurance.

DirectTV's response to this article appears to be: "We have a policy."

My response to their response: "Well, it's a stupid one."

DirecTV to fire victim who lost it all: You still owe $400

Old 06-14-2013, 11:11 AM

10,077 posts, read 14,025,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
(@ Colorado Rambler: I'm not.)

In other news, today someone posted me this on Facebook. What a terribly jerky thing for DirectTV to be doing. I hope they lose a lot of business as word of this gets around. Comcast doesn't do this. Don't know about DISH Network.

Reader's Digest version is: They are charging fire victims who lost everything, for the cost of the equipment burned on the property.

Their rationale is that the insurance company should cover it. The unwritten reality here is that by the time some of these folks are able to settle up with the insurance companies, and start trying to put their lives back together, if they haven't been able to come up with the money before that point out of their own pockets (and we all know they don't have anything better to do with whatever money they have, what with being put out of their homes and losing everything), they'll be deep in collections with DirectTV. I know a lady who lost her house last year in Waldo, and she's just now breaking ground on the new one because it took so long to get things ironed out with insurance.

DirectTV's response to this article appears to be: "We have a policy."

My response to their response: "Well, it's a stupid one."

DirecTV to fire victim who lost it all: You still owe $400
That's pretty low down of Direct TV for sure. Just tell them the next time you go to Costco or Sams and the hassle you, like they do, why buy from a company that kicks people when they are down. I hope this hits 9 news and they are humiliated on the air.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:28 AM

6,561 posts, read 10,274,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
That's pretty low down of Direct TV for sure. Just tell them the next time you go to Costco or Sams and the hassle you, like they do, why buy from a company that kicks people when they are down. I hope this hits 9 news and they are humiliated on the air.
DirecTV has already stated the rep who told the victim he'd have to pay for the burned equipment was wrong.

7NEWS - DIRECTV says $400 charge quoted to Black Forest Fire victim was a mistake - Local Story

Old 06-14-2013, 11:32 AM

11,872 posts, read 7,316,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
DirecTV has already stated the rep who told the victim he'd have to pay for the burned equipment was wrong.

7NEWS - DIRECTV says $400 charge quoted to Black Forest Fire victim was a mistake - Local Story

EXCELLENT!!! Thanks for the update!

Old 06-14-2013, 01:00 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,040,734 times
Wink Big Meadows Fire downstream

"God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools."
— John Muir

Distant wildfires can have an impact at home. The Big Meadows Fire in Rocky Mountain National Park is often reported in the media as burning in a remote area with "no imminent threat to any communities or structures." If technically true, not entirely so.

This wildfire is burning in a remote wilderness region of RMNP. The reported size of this wildfire varies, but at the moment probably most accurately at 353 acres. Being nothing in comparison to the size or severity of the Black Forest Fire near Colorado Springs. Thus a sideshow easily overlooked. Although it might be remembered that this nothing of a wildfire, that the National Park Service was originally inclined to let burn as it might, went from 2 acres and largely contained on Tuesday morning, to suddenly smoking out Estes Park Tuesday afternoon and rapidly increasing to its present size.

Although somewhat strangely not having appreciably grown much in size of late, it nevertheless has the potential to. By one report it is 30% contained at the moment; only yesterday reported with no containment whatsoever. Moreover burning in a rugged area difficult to fight with heavy equipment, no natural firebreaks (other than the Continental Divide), and, as InciWeb puts it, an "extreme" growth potential.

The forest in that area is unfortunately 80% dead due the mountain pine beetle. A good deal of it "jacklegged," or some of these trees long dead having since fallen to at times hang up on other trees alive or dead, forming a twisted cross-hatch for anyone (such as a fire fighter) trying to walk through. And, as such, also more dangerous aside from just difficult.

All of which perhaps incidental, if this wildfire not to appreciably grow. Although it might be remembered that there are a lot of dead trees in RMNP, particularly on the west side. But as remote as it is, this wildfire, even at its present size, is likely to have an impact on communities such as Fort Collins.

The Big Meadows Fire is presently burning in a valley known as Big Meadows, about 4.5 miles north of the town of Grand Lake. It has been reported burning northeast towards Nakai Peak in RMNP. It is also burning along Tonahutu Creek, and that watershed which empties into Grand Lake. If one drives into that town, and then at the ostensible far end of main street continues on just a big east, one will soon cross a large river flowing into Grand Lake from the north. That is Tonahutu Creek (although just upstream added to by the waters of the North Inlet, that watershed presently unaffected).

Half of Fort Collins water is thus threatened, as drawn from this area. The water diversion of the Alva B. Adams Tunnel reaches from Grand Lake to its East Portal just west of Estes Park, emptying into the Big Thompson River at Lake Estes (being a reservoir, as fed in transit by Marys Lake, also a reservoir). From the Big Thompson River, some of this water is diverted into Horsetooth Reservoir (relied upon, and situated just west of Fort Collins).

Last summer Fort Collins had to temporarily halt all water intake from the Cache la Poudre River, due the High Park Fire. At the time, this usually clear mountain river was flowing black; with residue of that event still evident along its banks.

They are heartened that debris from the Galena Fire largely settled to the bottom of the reservoir. Hoping as much with the advent of any future debris from this present wildfire. Although in this case transiting a far longer distance through a series of pipes and reservoirs, more easily obstructed.

At the moment officials in Fort Collins are concerned but taking a wait and see attitude. There will be some impact to their water, even now. Whether severely so will depend on the future course of the Big Meadows Fire.

That, no one can know at present. Already some disturbance to Grand Lake, if only inconvenience to some of their hikers. To some degree, undetermined yet, to their lake. Some smoke in Estes Park. But—even aside from most of RMNP perhaps going up in flames—there will be consequences far downstream.

Old 06-15-2013, 07:31 AM

2,163 posts, read 1,265,645 times
Default The Battle of Black Forest, thank you firefighters

Thanks to all of the firefighters on the ground and in the air!! It is amazing to watch all of the planes, and firefighters on the ground. Thank you, thank you, thank you and working over night and 16 hour shifts. National Guard and all, many, many thanks!!!!!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:18 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,743,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I feel extremely frustrated because I STILL can't reach friends in Colorado Springs/Palmer Lake. I'm glad to hear from Mike that Palmer Lake is ok, anyhow. Is anyone else having trouble reaching cell phone numbers in the Colorado Springs area?
Cell service in northern COS has been jammed up at times, especially when evacuation zones are implemented or rescinded and gaggles of people start moving.

Local news said Verizon was suggesting people use text rather than voice where possible due to lower bandwidth requirements.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 AM

87,008 posts, read 102,606,536 times
I would like to thank the people from other parts of the country who've come to this forum to empathize with us.

I am disappointed, but not surprised, considering the same happened last year, that no one from the forums I frequent has said anything on their own forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or