U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2013, 08:55 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,327,280 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob from down south View Post
Cell service in northern COS has been jammed up at times, especially when evacuation zones are implemented or rescinded and gaggles of people start moving.

Local news said Verizon was suggesting people use text rather than voice where possible due to lower bandwidth requirements.
Thanks for the update. I finally got through to my one friend in Skyway, but my friends in Palmer Lake remain MIA. Part of the problem may be that I've been trying to call from Rico, where cell service is mostly a fantasy, not something that actually exists in the real world.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:55 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,420,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I would like to thank the people from other parts of the country who've come to this forum to empathize with us.

I am disappointed, but not surprised, considering the same happened last year, that no one from the forums I frequent has said anything on their own forums.
I will say that every time I've tried to mention Colorado, or other states, on my own current state's forums, it is removed because it's considered off topic. I definitely feel for my Colorado, both the people and the land, and all that you are enduring right now. Hoping that the worst of it is over now.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:10 AM

2,253 posts, read 6,018,462 times
Wink Rather universal

Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I will say that every time I've tried to mention Colorado, or other states, on my own current state's forums, it is removed because it's considered off topic.

You might mention to the moderator that the issue of wildfire isn't off topic, certainly not in the western United States.

Nor is it, unfortunately, in Bend, Oregon—as all familiar with that environment would know.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 AM

86,871 posts, read 102,258,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I will say that every time I've tried to mention Colorado, or other states, on my own current state's forums, it is removed because it's considered off topic. I definitely feel for my Colorado, both the people and the land, and all that you are enduring right now. Hoping that the worst of it is over now.
I'm not thinking so much of other state/city forums as much as some of the general forums I visit. And I am a regular visitor to one city forum, where people are constantly comparing it to other places. I would have thought (at one time) that someone might have asked, "are you OK out there?" like my facebook friends have done.

Thank you for your kind thoughts.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:10 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,848,340 times
Quote:
I would have thought (at one time) that someone might have asked, "are you OK out there?" like my facebook friends have done.
I'm thinking about all you guys.

Old 06-15-2013, 01:25 PM

9,956 posts, read 6,257,809 times
Quote:
I would like to thank the people from other parts of the country who've come to this forum to empathize with us.

I am disappointed, but not surprised, considering the same happened last year, that no one from the forums I frequent has said anything on their own forums.

The fires just made me sick, especially after Waldo. Not a Colorado resident, but the Black Forest Fire is just north of where I worked three months last winter (near Powers and Woodman). I became very fond of that area and the folks that live there. I do believe if I had to choose a front range spot to settle in, that would be it. I'm in my summer time cabin in southern Colorado and doing a little rain dance, it's so dry here too. Anywho, my thoughts are with everyone that suffered though the fires last week.

Old 06-15-2013, 02:29 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,174,776 times
I used to live in Rockrimmon, when I was in High school at Air Academy I had a job at a Horse ranch just north of the Black Forest, drove through there all the time plus had many friends who lived there, beautiful area.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:30 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,605,829 times
The Southern Baptist Disaster Relief ministry has been asked to stand up a response to the Black Forest fire, so we're on the way as soon as the roads are open into the burn area. The initial Incident Command team will come from Colorado Baptist's, with help from New Mexico, Kansas and Utah. Oklahoma Baptist's will take over the IC after about 2 weeks.

Chainsaw, debris removal, ash-out, chaplain, feeding and assessor teams will be converging on Colorado Springs from all over the country in the next few days. We've done this before, including during the Waldo Canyon and High Park fires last year, so experienced and trained help is on the way.

We are a strictly volunteer organization and our help is free to anyone who needs it. We are the second largest volunteer disaster relief team in the United States (after the Red Cross), with 90,000 trained workers and we go to wherever people are in need.

If you'd like to help, please consider giving to our ministry. Every single, solitary penny donated goes to disaster relief and disaster relief only. Not one dime is diverted to salaries, fund raising or anything else. We respond to disasters all over the world and receive no funding from any other source than free will contributions.

Hold on, Colorado! We're coming...again!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,041,284 times
Got my first junk mail today that is related to the Black Forest fire. Some firm offering to do clean up work, etc.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-15-2013, 08:34 PM

14,078 posts, read 17,605,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Got my first junk mail today that is related to the Black Forest fire. Some firm offering to do clean up work, etc.
Don't pay anybody to do that! We'll do it for free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or