U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 12:52 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,018,462 times

Advertisements

Update on the West Fork Fire Complex, being the West Fork Fire and Windy Pass fire combined. Having grown rapidly overnight, presently at 29,911 acres burned. Its advance has been to the northeast, towards the town of South Fork.

South Fork is now under mandatory evacuation. CO 149, between South Fork and Creede, is closed.

I have an eyewitness account of someone traveling west on US 160, towards South Fork, to remove valuables. They, with one or two others, were the only ones westbound. With a steady stream of traffic eastbound, and about every third vehicle an RV.

Conditions are unfortunately ideal for this wildfire to continue to spread rapidly. A good overview of present conditions can be had here (with some sobering photos):
West Fork Fire nears 30,000 acres, more evacuations ordered | KDVR.com

The Denver Post has an article as well, as well a good map of the present extent of this wildfire:
Town of South Fork ordered to evacuate because of wildfire - The Denver Post

Although it hardly needs mentioning, there are other serious wildfires burning in Colorado at present. One is the East Peak Fire, near the Spanish Peaks. Walsenburg, for one, is under pre-evacuation advisory.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:58 PM

1,742 posts, read 2,689,879 times
Forest service said South Fork will likely be lost. 30,000 acres and growing to the NE

Old 06-21-2013, 02:52 PM

603 posts, read 731,781 times
:-( I love South Fork, such a quaint area, great fly fishing. They filmed the National Lampoon's Vacation scene when they were at "Kamp Komfort" at the Riverbend Resort.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:09 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,327,280 times
Quote:
A RED FLAG warning has been issued for today; this is the third day in a row where conditions are ideal for rapid fire spread and for the chances of any ignition source starting new fires. With the predicted weather and the volatile fuels, the fire is again expected to make significant runs. The total acreage for the West Fork Fire Complex rose from 12,710 acres Wednesday morning to 29,911 acres as of 6:00 AM Friday morning. Most of the gain in acreage was on the West Fork Fire.

The fire is two to three miles west of the town. The fire has not made it to the town, although it still may today. 32 fire engines and a number of hand crews are currently protecting the town.

Power tuned off in Area of South Fork

Power has been turned off in the following areas near South Fork:

• All of Wolf Creek Pass from the east, including the Ski Area
• Ponderosa
• Sentinel
• Dear Park
• Elk Creek Ranch
• Masonic Park
• Riverside
• Legion Park

This was done to aid mitigation efforts now and fire fighting efforts when the fire arrives.
Posted byArchuleta Emergency Managementat3:05 PM

Update West Fork Complex

June 21, 2013 2:30 PM

Air Tankers have been able to fly today and have been dropping retardant on the fire. They have been working on the northeast end of the fire attempting to cool the fire and slow the spread of the fire toward the the town of South Fork. In the town of South Fork there are over 36 engines from all over Colorado ready to provide protection for the town of South Fork.
http://www.acemergency.org/

Poor little South Fork! I hope they make it.

Looks like jazzlover just might get his wish re the Texas billionaire and his planned atrocity which was to have been built in the area of Wolf Creek.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:44 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,899,000 times
Another fire has popped up in the Rifle Gap State park area , according to KKCO-11, Grand Junction's NBC affiliate. Details are sketchy as it just was reported, I'll add more to this later this evening.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-21-2013 at 05:56 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 05:52 PM

603 posts, read 731,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Another fire has popped up in the Rifle Gap State park are , according to KKCO-11, Grand Junction's NBC affiliate. Details are sketchy as it just was reported, I'll add more to this later this evening.
Another one there? They just got one contained that was burning in the area last week! SONOFA I am planning on camping there next weekend
I don't think there is any where to go that is not on fire or about to be on fire.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:49 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,327,280 times
^

I'm doing a rain dance this weekend on top of the Uncompaghre Plateau if you care to join me.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:30 PM

1,510 posts, read 2,223,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
^

I'm doing a rain dance this weekend on top of the Uncompaghre Plateau if you care to join me.

Down here for the Black Forest Fire, sheriff Maketa asked everyone to wash their cars and park them outside. That seemed to bring us rain.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:55 PM

18,788 posts, read 4,919,209 times
About 10 pm, Friday, smelling the smoke here in Pueblo West. The skies have been smoky too the last couple of days, don't know from which fire...

Old 06-21-2013, 11:27 PM

8,317 posts, read 25,774,765 times
South Fork got a slight reprieve today. Winds in the area did not start blowing as early in the morning as yesterday and did not have quite a high velocities in the afternoon. Temperatures were abnormally high this afternoon in the area, though. Unfortunately, it appears that higher winds will be in the offing for tomorrow, according to the National Weather Service forecast. Things are now at the point that there are hundreds of thousands of acres in the central and southern Rockies that are simply looking for an ignition source. I talked to a fellow today who spent years as a wildland firefighter. He called the current conditions the most extreme that he has ever seen. He saw the fire on Wolf Creek from close enough to watch it with binoculars last evening. He said that the heat from the fire was so intense that that the hot air from the fire was enough to ignite trees hundreds of feet from any flames. He said that, "There is no such thing as 'defensible space' under fire conditions like that." And the Southwest Monsoon with any beneficial rain could still be up to 3 weeks or more away . . .

Several motel owners that I know in southern Colorado are already reporting massive reservation cancellations--even in areas nowhere near the fire areas. Many southern Colorado tourist businesses are already in the third year of relatively poor business--this may finish a lot of them off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or