U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 05:47 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
The "Black Forest," area is one of most beautiful areas I have ever seen! Lived in Alaska...wow, now that's a beauty! Anyway, I would not call the "Black Forest," area, crap.

Hard working and retired people, families, call the area home.

Homes that were from about $92,000, to over 1 million dollars were destroyed. A couple enjoying their lives, and living close to the Air force base, where they worked lost their lives in this horrific "perfect storm."

The fire was human caused, accident or otherwise, not mother nature. The forest was probably way too thick with trees. The videos that I saw, showed the roofs catching on fire and the trees un-touched. Metal or tile roofs may be a good idea in wooded areas?

Crap? Please, this is a horrible heart breaking event, just as tornados and other disasters are. Crap? Calling lives and homes lost; crap? Way too hurtful.
Bit late joining in the conversation...

Of course there's great people living in the Black Forest Region. I grew up in the Springs and still have friends who live in Palmer Lake and Black Forest. I lived in Palmer Lake for several years myself, and I loved it! And of course that awful fire and the terrible losses weren't "crap."

But I understand what Jazzlover means. Many areas of Black Forest were/are over grown by spindly pines desperately in need of thinning. The Colorado State Forest Service and a plethora of other agencies were forever warning residents of Black Forest about the problem. Very few listened and the recent tragedy has been the result.

Colorado has spectacular forests, but IMHO, Black Forest doesn't even make the top 20, although it's much nicer as one goes out further east along the Palmer Divide. Come on down to Southwest Colorado, and you'll see country that really does put Alaska to shame!

Respectfully,
- Rambler

Old 07-27-2013, 12:05 PM

20,836 posts, read 39,046,511 times
Default Fighting forest fires with high tech and drones

Interesting piece in the paper today, with an example of how infrared tech in a manned aircraft found a fire in Black Forest burning above a natural gas pipeline and was able to call for resources that put out the fire within the hour. Putting this technology into pilot-less drones is the next step.

Link to story.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,019,284 times
Wink Welcome rains

There are presently active wildfires in Alaska, California, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Washington, Wyoming, and, yes, in Colorado (at least of 2 days ago).

But some good news. I am pleased to report my cynicism about the July monsoon, at least in north central Colorado, has proven to be entirely unfounded. There have been a number of thunderstorms and heavy rains, the latest only today.

I'll measure the results in part by the large meadow reaching north of Estes Park. There have been past summers when by now the grasses there were quickly fading to brown, green only hinted at. Times as well when they were headed that direction but some fortunate rains helped forestall this. One can expect this grass to naturally turn towards shades of brown come autumn, and often so later in August. But where the grasses along the Front Range are often well past verdant green by mid-summer, they can remain as such in the mountains through most of the summer.

Such as now. So with pleasure to report now that this meadow appears perfectly lush at the moment. Indeed all is green throughout, the sage, the trees, and all surely happy with the rains received.

At least for now, wildfire seems far less a possibility.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:04 PM

16,438 posts, read 19,083,018 times
Worth a listen on the fires cause:

Economic Warfare Super Panel - William Scott - YouTube

Old 08-02-2013, 10:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,019,284 times
Wink We as al Queda

I do not discount the seriousness of wildfires. Or that they will pose a growing problem in the American West and Colorado.

However, I must be of an "ingrained out of date mindset," because I do not in the least believe in militarizing our national forests. Nor believe that terrorists supposedly lurking in our forests looking to set them ablaze is their or our nation's greatest natural threat.

The natural event of lightning continues to start the majority of wildfires. The growing number and intensity of wildfires is as serious now precisely due our rapidly changing climate. This remains largely influenced by mankind, we all responsible. So the greater "terrorists" in causation would be those opposed to all measures to rapidly decrease the emissions of greenhouse gases. That happens to be the United States government.

If wishing some small view of their mindset, visit an area that has been subjected to the tender mercies of one of their branches, the U.S. Forest Service. On the east side of Cameron Pass off of CO 14, Long Draw Road runs south to terminate at La Poudre Pass, the headwaters of the Colorado River. What one cannot miss initially is the devastation along this dirt road. Most trees on either side are clearcut far back from the road, literally butchered with stumps and slash left rampant (whether near the fragile banks of creeks or not). This is the result of our government, sanctioned by the U.S. Forest Service, those supposed champions of the forest. It is not until some miles and the junction of Peterson Lake Road that all this stops. The difference is remarkable. Now lovely forest bordering the road the remainder of the route. There are unfortunately many dead trees in this region due the mountain pine beetle (again, due mankind). But if the excuse for that done is only removing such trees, then the lie proven in what one will find.

What national security our national forests, or even land management?

Fracking is becoming widespread in Colorado. But for whatever argument of economic or energy security, or even question of water pollution, it remains that this results in all the more greenhouse gases released into our environment (and all the more dead trees in result). Yet our state and federal government remain staunchly behind this. What concern our forests or resultant wildfires there?

Or this wildfire tanker fleet spoken of, which is sorely needed. And its pitifully small numbers, having significantly decreased in the last decades, being a direct result of governmental decisions to do so. And they dare cry of this now?

As for "terrorists," we might look to ourselves first. I continue to find cigarette butts thoughtlessly tossed out alongside the roadside in heavily forested areas. What can one say of that, other than the result of a total cretin? But it is an integral part of a broader mindset that can see mountainsides of dead and dying trees and not make the connection between that and what we as individuals and our government continue to willfully do.

So I want to hear no talk of terrorism, not from a government that practices that and fear on an industrial scale. They can have any say once the NDAA and other unconstitutional acts are repealed and this nation restored to a republic. We in no way should extend their bogus war of terror into our forest and wilderness areas. There at last need to be some natural sanctuaries, and if they wish to rectify and preserve something it can be the natural wetlands they have ruined with Washington, D.C.

Meanwhile, yes, Colorado and the West will face ever greater challenges with wildfires. That is unfortunately already in the cards from what we have already done. But we need not continue it, and militarizing our national forests is not the solution.

Al Queda is the least of our worries—we ourselves the enemy of our natural heritage.

Last edited by Idunn; 08-02-2013 at 10:54 PM..

Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 PM

10,058 posts, read 13,945,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Given the trust level at the moment with DHS types show me proof. Because I haven't seen one bit that Al Qaeda is burning down the Springs or anywhere else.

Old 08-03-2013, 10:38 AM

2,514 posts, read 3,486,397 times
I have to say that when we go camping and pull into a boon dock site it isn't unusual for there to be a fire smoldering in the fire pit that the previous occupant did not put out fully. Also when were hiking around, checking out other boon dock locations, more than once we've had to hike back to our site to get gallon jugs of water to put out smoldering fires that people have left. Would be interesting to see the statistics for out of control controlled burns, bozo campers, careless drivers (cigarettes), lightening and suspected terrorists (both domestic and international).

Old 08-13-2013, 05:36 PM

16,505 posts, read 20,901,804 times
A new fire to report here.

NBC western slope affiliate KKCO is reporting a fire several miles south east of Glenwood Springs. It started last night and as of right now it's at 210 acres. No containment for now, that area is pretty rough to get to. 11 News says 60 firefighters are getting there now.

ADD>>>>>>>>>>>Fortunately fire now is 100% contained and evacuees have returned to their homes.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 08-18-2013 at 07:32 PM..

Old 08-22-2013, 11:36 AM

305 posts, read 194,847 times
As a non-Colorado resident, are there set patterns to where the wild fires are?

E.g. Aurora being closer to fires on average versus say, Castle Rock?

Old 08-22-2013, 12:26 PM

2,514 posts, read 3,486,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormhammer View Post
As a non-Colorado resident, are there set patterns to where the wild fires are?

E.g. Aurora being closer to fires on average versus say, Castle Rock?
Anywhere your in the natural trees there is fuel for the fires. The developed areas on the plains are only likely to burn if they are on the edges near the natural trees. The developed areas generally do not have natural trees. They have ones planted and watered by humans. You hear more about the wildfires where structures burn. If it is just the forest and in the middle of no where you won't hear about it on the news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or