U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2013, 01:00 AM

1,163 posts, read 1,197,089 times

Advertisements

Tragic. Our prayers are with the people of Colorado.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:59 AM

2,133 posts, read 1,250,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
Even then it's not foolproof. If the roof is composite with wood trusses hot embers can catch the roof on fire and the house will still burn down.

The house can also burn down without having so much as an ember touch it. If the fire gets close enough to the house, flammable objects like curtains can spontaneously combust due to the staggering amount of radiant heat.
Last year, (in Colorado Springs) we had hail destroy the roof.(composite) The people with tile roofs did not have to have their roof replaced. Seems like a lot of those homes in Black Forest started burning from the composite roof. Why not make tile roofing mandatory in fire prone places. Why not make tile roofing more available? My roof has been replaced twice in 10 years, due to hail; would have cost 3times the cost to replace the roof with tile. If money were no object, I would replace the roof with tile. Something to keep in mind.

So tragic, these fires..... Waldo Canyon was caused by a human , don't know if it was an accident. Please do not flick your cigs/cigars/smokes out of the car....................just a thought.

Many, many thanks for all the firefighters, on the ground and in the air!!!!!!!!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 AM

1,742 posts, read 2,687,920 times
Maybe make something like this mandatory.

FOAMSAFE Fire Protection Systems - YouTube

Old 06-13-2013, 09:22 AM

20,815 posts, read 39,004,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post

Last year, (in Colorado Springs) we had hail destroy the roof.(composite) The people with tile roofs did not have to have their roof replaced. Seems like a lot of those homes in Black Forest started burning from the composite roof. Why not make tile roofing mandatory in fire prone places. Why not make tile roofing more available? My roof has been replaced twice in 10 years, due to hail; would have cost 3times the cost to replace the roof with tile. If money were no object, I would replace the roof with tile. Something to keep in mind.

So tragic, these fires..... Waldo Canyon was caused by a human , don't know if it was an accident. Please do not flick your cigs/cigars/smokes out of the car....................just a thought.

Many, many thanks for all the firefighters, on the ground and in the air!!!!!!!!
Agree on the tile or metal roofs and/or exteriors that are fire resistant such as brick or possibly stucco. Problem is it raises the cost of construction which always gets howls from that large peanut gallery of hypocrites who want to live in one of the "paradise" areas but not protect themselves from fire (or hurricanes on the east coast, or floods along the rivers, etc).

Further, efforts to get tighter building codes will get howls from developers, builders, realtors and their lobbies. Here in Colo Spgs we elected a developer for mayor, so you can imagine what a fat chance there'll be of improving any building codes. We'd just get the same old crap from the monied class..... that mean old government is heaping more unneeded regulations on our backs, what's a poor developer to do....

We're in hail alley but you'd never know it from our building codes. Cheapest grade of roofing shingles are okay here. We've replaced our roof twice (2007, 2011) due to hail. Only by word of mouth did I learn of 50-year hail resistant asphalt shingles. Roofing firm never mentioned it....imagine that. The 2011 re-roof got the 50-year shingles, only cost $1k more. If tile were mandatory for all new builds, the cost of tile would come down due to the commonality and competition; right now it's still an oddity except for some of the newer upscale communities or those who build a custom home.

Only prayer of improving building codes is for the insurance industry to start charging $10k/year to insure the firetraps in our wooded areas, then maybe people will take it upon themselves to specify fire-resistant materials for roofs and walls. Then we rock-scape the land for ten feet out from any wall (including the garages) to prevent grass fires from igniting any structure.

It's NOT rocket science but a lot of factors are at work to make implementing good common sense solutions nearly impossible. After all, it is the American way.... i.e., the citizens and consumers are left to fend for themselves against the wolves, and with governments that protect the well-connected, well-lawyered and the monied classes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:13 AM

Default Black Forest (BF) Fire Update

The number of homes totally destroyed by the BF fire is now up to 360 confirmed losses, more than last year's Waldo Canyon Fire.

Here's the color-coded list of home status. RED = total loss. One of my pals has lost his home.

Strong winds, from the south are expected this afternoon, which will turn the fire into a blowtorch. Again.

Before it's all over I expect 500-600 homes will be lost.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 06-13-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-13-2013, 10:24 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,857,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanek9freak View Post
I know it's always a possibility, but Black Forest was the last place I expected a fire to erupt. At least the silver lining is that it's not in the mountains, makes it much easier to contain and fight.
Seriously? As a fifteen year fire service vet, I am only surprised ity didn't burn earlier. I think many people there had a false since of security becuase they were not in the mountains. As if somehow being on flatland and doing minimal mitigation was acceptable. It was only a matter of when IMO.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocaseco View Post
... It was only a matter of when IMO.
Old sailors have a saying about courting disaster at sea in a vessel that's not fully prepared/seaworthy or with a green crew: The Sea Will Find You Out.

Mother Nature will find your weakness. And exploit it.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM
gn3

151 posts, read 368,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
The number of homes totally destroyed by the BF fire is now up to 360 confirmed losses, more than last year's Waldo Canyon Fire.

Here's the color-coded list of home status. RED = total loss. One of my pals has lost his home.

Strong winds, from the south are expected this afternoon, which will turn the fire into a blowtorch. Again.

Glad they are doing a better job at at least attempting to tell people the status than with the Waldo Canyon fire.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:48 AM

6,516 posts, read 10,165,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post

This fire, Waldo Canyon, and High Park are going to force insurance providers to redo all their risk modeling and it wouldn't surprise me if folks living in high-risk forested areas see an extreme jump in their premiums over the next 2-3 years (if they haven't already).

Old 06-13-2013, 10:51 AM

11,562 posts, read 7,165,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3 View Post
Glad they are doing a better job at at least attempting to tell people the status than with the Waldo Canyon fire.
I had a friend lose her home in the Waldo Canyon fire, she knew she'd lost it too, because she watched it burn on live TV.

I was listening to the police scanners yesterday. Lots of stories of police rescuing trapped animals. Dogs, horses, even chickens.

I have many family and friends out of state who look at stories and maps, and get alarmed because technically the fire is some 20 miles north of my home...and as big as it has grown they just don't see why I wouldn't be threatened by it, too. I've had to explain over and over...I just don't think there is enough fuel between there and me, for it to make it down there to the Widefield area, at all. And as tragic as it is, and as awful as I feel for everyone who is losing their home and coping with this...I am doubly happy to live where I live. We get little grass fires occasionally but our fire depts. get them out in like, minutes. I think it takes trees to sustain a big fire like this, and we simply don't have a lot of trees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or