U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 05:55 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,635,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
brightdoglover wrote: Does Medical Marijuana Really Help?

I cannot say with certainty that it does, because I've never personally used it in a medical scenario. Based only what actual medical users have told me, and what I have read in books, YES indeed it is quite effective. I've also read that when prohibition was being pushed by the government ( the pusher man! ), the AMA was initially against prohibition because many medical practitioners of that day recognized the efficacy of cannabis.
Prior to the Federal Govt's initial jihad against a plant, Cannabis was part of the official pharmacopeia of medicines available in the US. It was officially recognized as medication and as such, the federal legislation outlawing it in 1937 was opposed and testified against by the AMA. The doctors who testified against the legislation were ostracized by the legislators for having "nothing of value" to add to the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:44 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,531,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Prior to the Federal Govt's initial jihad against a plant, Cannabis was part of the official pharmacopeia of medicines available in the US. It was officially recognized as medication and as such, the federal legislation outlawing it in 1937 was opposed and testified against by the AMA. The doctors who testified against the legislation were ostracized by the legislators for having "nothing of value" to add to the discussion.
At one time cigarette smoking was just fine and dandy as well until it became apparent it had harmful long term effects on people. Like a lot of things out there from radiation to coal dust, the long term effects were often never studied or considered. Now with hindsight we can see the damage done by such things.

This isn't 1937 anymore. The cannabis today is a product that has 40 times the thc levels as it did in the late 1960's. It's no longer deadhead grandma's lite little stimulant. Like a lot of potentially lethal prescription drugs, I don't believe people should so readily taking cannabis just to soothe any malady they think or may have. It might give them other health issues or make their current ones worse.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:51 AM

11 posts, read 22,293 times
Also something to note, there are a number of active parts of marijuana. What dispensaries and growers have been doing is trying to maximize THC content (like wanneroo was saying) - which honestly has reached crazy levels. But, when THC content is increased, it has been decreasing the CBD content of the strains. CBD is another active component of marijuana that has been shown to help many people, and is one of the main components to decrease tumor size, respond to pain without the "high" feeling, etc. They actually tested over 500 strains in the CA area, and only found 1 to have a substantial amount of CBD left in it (over 4%). So I think this is something to consider as well, certain components effect people a different way. (check out projectcbd.com)

Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 AM

12,879 posts, read 15,360,866 times
For some it's the only thing that works...I have a friend with epilepsy and even with medication he was still experiencing 2-3 grand mal seizures a month...now, he's taking marijuana daily and hasn't had one for months...that's just one instance of many.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:14 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times
Someone mentioned that regular use is linked to all sorts of other health problems. From my perspective that rings absolutely true...for some people but not for others. I think a persons entire lifestyle is more of a determining factor in the development of health problems or not. Looking only at marijuana is rather short sighted. The regular use of marijuana really doesn't play a big part in wether or not someone develops health problems. I would think that the regular consumption of fast food leads to more health problems than the regular use of marijuana.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
At one time cigarette smoking was just fine and dandy as well until it became apparent it had harmful long term effects on people. Like a lot of things out there from radiation to coal dust, the long term effects were often never studied or considered. Now with hindsight we can see the damage done by such things.

This isn't 1937 anymore. The cannabis today is a product that has 40 times the thc levels as it did in the late 1960's. It's no longer deadhead grandma's lite little stimulant. Like a lot of potentially lethal prescription drugs, I don't believe people should so readily taking cannabis just to soothe any malady they think or may have. It might give them other health issues or make their current ones worse.
.... more reefer madness.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:29 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,531,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
.... more reefer madness.
Not at all. It's a psycho active drug that alters your state of mind and is not the cannabis it was 40 or 70 years ago. It is not a mild aspirin. Do you deny it is a powerful drug? People are banding it about as a magic cure/pain reliever for everything from out of control wiggling toes to hair standing on end and all points in between. It has it's own side effects as well as short term and long term health issues as well as causing mental issues. It also impairs your brain and your cognitive function. A lot of prescription drugs can do the same thing, which is why people need to do their research before putting anything in their body.

A great example of these self medicating wonder remedies and their downsides I heard the other day. Someone told me their sister took a swig of hydrogen peroxide and "killed" their stomach flu. And hence this person decided they would now start swigging diluted hydrogen peroxide everyday for it's "health benefits". Eyebrows raised, I started doing my own research and turns out a lot of idiots doing this are outright poisoning themselves, getting internal burns and a whole series of other maladies. It's possible the body can take very, very diluted amounts of hydrogen peroxide but the benefits are vague. Similar issues have happened with idiots taking straight apple cider vinegar and chugging it.

Modern day medicine has been liberalized, where symptoms are treated like a bombing run from a B-52 with powerful drugs that cause side effects which then require other drugs for those side effects and pretty soon you are drugged up, hazed over and need a pail to carry all your meds. Cannabis is just another hard core drug that might ease someone's arthritis but then might fry their brain or give them cancer.

I tend to think that if you have medical issues it's because something is out of balance in your body and any type of impairing drug is a last resort.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:19 PM

Still more reefer madness. More people die from aspiring & tylenol every year. Very little we consume as humans is completely harmless. You should be worried about people indiscriminately taking Tylenol which kills 450 a year. Warning: Pain Relievers, Like Tylenol, Can Cause Death | Health & Wellness Post

Your comparison of drinking hydrogen peroxide is ludicrous. Any sane, rational person would question the wisdom of doing this. People use cannabis because in many cases (not all), it helps. Cannabis is one of the least toxic substances you can consume and the risk level is very, very low.

FDA statistics on the causes of death in the USA culled from the FDA's Adverse Events Reporting System (AERS):

Cause of death (Data from 2009 unless otherwise noted)

All Causes-2,437,163
Diseases of Heart -599,413
Malignant Neoplasms-567,628
Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases-137,353
Cerebrovascular Diseases-128,842
Lack of Health Insurance3 (2005)-44,789
Poisoning-41,592
Drug-Induced2-39,147
Intentional Self-Harm (Suicide)-36,909
Septicemia-35,639
Motor Vehicle Accidents -34,485
Firearm Injuries-31,347
Alcohol-Induced-24,518
Illicit Drugs (2000)-17,0004
Homicide-16,799
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)-9,406
Viral hepatitis-7,694
Cannabis (Marijuana)-0

These numbers speak for themselves. Nobody is claiming that cannabis will be effective for every situation and every individual, but the lack of toxicity enables anyone to try it & see if it works for them with virtually no risk. Cannabis has been in use for thousands of years and has been proven to be relatively safe.

Continuing to paint it as dangerous & fraught with risk is just.... more reefer madness.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 PM

7,764 posts, read 16,840,183 times
This post ( #17 ) has some good material for a stand up comedy routine!

Old 01-06-2013, 06:38 PM

188 posts, read 146,859 times
Why are people still asking this question? Cannabis has been in use by human beings for over 5,000 years of RECORDED history. Before our brainless bureaucracy, spearheaded by the propagandist, Harry J. Anslinger, decided to make cannabis illegal, a tincture of cannabis was a staple medicine in every doctor's little black bag.

And now, even though our government and the DEA act as if the science isn't in yet but, the science is in, thousands of tests have been conducted worldwide and even here in the anti-science USA and the answer is an unequivocal yes.

Anyone interested in the efficacy and safety of cannabis should read "The Pot Book: A Complete Guide to Cannabis, It's Role in Medicine, Politics, Science and Culture" edited by Dr. Judy Holland.

home

Other good resources referencing the studies and medical benefits of marijuana can be found at NORML and Americans for Safe Access.

Medical Use

Library

ASA*:*Medical Info

To top it off, our own hypocritical government holds a patent on medical marijuana!

United States Patent: 6630507

There is no question medical marijuana is good medicine and no valid reason for its classification as a Schedule I drug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado