U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2013, 07:54 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Reputation: 7602

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoButCounty View Post
Still more reefer madness. More people die from aspiring & tylenol every year. Very little we consume as humans is completely harmless. You should be worried about people indiscriminately taking Tylenol which kills 450 a year. Warning: Pain Relievers, Like Tylenol, Can Cause Death | Health & Wellness Post

Your comparison of drinking hydrogen peroxide is ludicrous. Any sane, rational person would question the wisdom of doing this. People use cannabis because in many cases (not all), it helps. Cannabis is one of the least toxic substances you can consume and the risk level is very, very low.

FDA statistics on the causes of death in the USA culled from the FDA's Adverse Events Reporting System (AERS):

Cause of death (Data from 2009 unless otherwise noted)

All Causes-2,437,163
Diseases of Heart -599,413
Malignant Neoplasms-567,628
Chronic Lower Respiratory Diseases-137,353
Cerebrovascular Diseases-128,842
Lack of Health Insurance3 (2005)-44,789
Poisoning-41,592
Drug-Induced2-39,147
Intentional Self-Harm (Suicide)-36,909
Septicemia-35,639
Motor Vehicle Accidents -34,485
Firearm Injuries-31,347
Alcohol-Induced-24,518
Illicit Drugs (2000)-17,0004
Homicide-16,799
Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV)-9,406
Viral hepatitis-7,694
Cannabis (Marijuana)-0

These numbers speak for themselves. Nobody is claiming that cannabis will be effective for every situation and every individual, but the lack of toxicity enables anyone to try it & see if it works for them with virtually no risk. Cannabis has been in use for thousands of years and has been proven to be relatively safe.

Continuing to paint it as dangerous & fraught with risk is just.... more reefer madness.
Sane, rational people question the wisdom of taking a potent psychoactive drug called cannabis that alters your state of mind and causes a myriad of health issues. Cannabis is not something harmless like ground up cranberries and I think you do your cause wrong by continuing to push this myth that cannabis is completely harmless and has no negative effect on people, when tons of research and anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise.

My point/example about hydrogen peroxide is very valid in regards to how people latch onto these magical wonder cures and self medicate themselves without questioning how such a drug is going to affect their brain and body.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:03 PM
 
9,830 posts, read 19,529,511 times
Reputation: 7602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
Why are people still asking this question? Cannabis has been in use by human beings for over 5,000 years of RECORDED history. Before our brainless bureaucracy, spearheaded by the propagandist, Harry J. Anslinger, decided to make cannabis illegal, a tincture of cannabis was a staple medicine in every doctor's little black bag.

And now, even though our government and the DEA act as if the science isn't in yet but, the science is in, thousands of tests have been conducted worldwide and even here in the anti-science USA and the answer is an unequivocal yes.

Anyone interested in the efficacy and safety of cannabis should read "The Pot Book: A Complete Guide to Cannabis, It's Role in Medicine, Politics, Science and Culture" edited by Dr. Judy Holland.

home

Other good resources referencing the studies and medical benefits of marijuana can be found at NORML and Americans for Safe Access.

Medical Use

Library

ASA*:*Medical Info

To top it off, our own hypocritical government holds a patent on medical marijuana!

United States Patent: 6630507

There is no question medical marijuana is good medicine and no valid reason for its classification as a Schedule I drug.
There is question and doctors question such nonsense all the time. Again the cannabis pushers try to create this picture that it's all good and everyone out there agrees it's completely safe, harmless and the medical community is totally onboard. I personally know many well qualified research physicians with decades of experience and not a one would agree with any of this poppycock about cannabis being completely safe, harmless, "medicine". In fact when I have discussed it with them over the past year to hear their opinion, in many cases they have laughed heartily about such nonsense of cannabis being this perfect harmless "medicine".

Cannabis from 100 years ago is not the heavily refined and cultured product it is today.

Ultimately there is something called rationalization. People are going to rationalize their use of drugs, alcohol or any other behavior that causes harm and they'll concoct whatever story and fantasy they need, including proclaiming it as "medicine". Alcohol abusers and cocaine snorters do the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:06 PM
 
Location: Wherabouts Unknown!
7,764 posts, read 16,838,766 times
Reputation: 9316
wanneroo wrote: Sane, rational people question the wisdom of taking a potent psychoactive drug called cannabis that alters your state of mind and causes a myriad of health issues.

Indeed we do! And by questioning, rather than blindly accepting government propaganda, we have discovered first hand that occasional, moderate use is rather beneficial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:08 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
188 posts, read 146,838 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
At one time cigarette smoking was just fine and dandy as well until it became apparent it had harmful long term effects on people. Like a lot of things out there from radiation to coal dust, the long term effects were often never studied or considered. Now with hindsight we can see the damage done by such things.

This isn't 1937 anymore. The cannabis today is a product that has 40 times the thc levels as it did in the late 1960's. It's no longer deadhead grandma's lite little stimulant. Like a lot of potentially lethal prescription drugs, I don't believe people should so readily taking cannabis just to soothe any malady they think or may have. It might give them other health issues or make their current ones worse.
I'd really like to see a citation on your claim that THC levels are 40 TIMES higher than in the late 60s.

THC as a percentage is up to about 25% in the most potent marijuana available and around 10% in the stuff grown by U Miss for the U.S. government. So, 40 times is a bit of a stretch, don't you think?

Also, cannabis is not toxic in any dose, meaning that you can ingest as much as you can before the side effects of maybe munchies then falling asleep hit. And you don't have to smoke it so please drop the cigarette analogy.

One more thing. Here in the state of New Jersey, Chris Christie has totally screwed up the medical marijuana program to the point that it's only available for people with a very short list of specific ailments. So, instead of taking a non-lethal in any dose, non-addictive, natural herb for chronic, intense pain from spinal injuries and unsuccessful spinal fusions, along with and migraine headaches that last for days that I know for a fact cannabis helps, my doctor now prescribes the very dangerous, lethal, addictive, LEGAL narcotic pain medication Hydrocodone and another dangerous pharmaceutical Imirex for migraine that only helps if it's taken as soon as you see the aura that precedes a migraine because cannabis is "too dangerous"!

Only in America can they come up with out of their you know what BS like this. And people like you who propagate the same BS aren't doing anything to help anyone but the drug manufacturers, the prison industrial complex, the alcohol lobby and the spread of ignorance of scientific fact.

Let me ask you a question. Do you also believe the earth is flat and people rode dinosaurs? Because you're putting yourself in a league with the anti-science numbskulls if you really believe the BS you're posting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 PM
 
Location: New Jersey
188 posts, read 146,838 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
There is question and doctors question such nonsense all the time. Again the cannabis pushers try to create this picture that it's all good and everyone out there agrees it's completely safe, harmless and the medical community is totally onboard. I personally know many well qualified research physicians with decades of experience and not a one would agree with any of this poppycock about cannabis being completely safe, harmless, "medicine". In fact when I have discussed it with them over the past year to hear their opinion, in many cases they have laughed heartily about such nonsense of cannabis being this perfect harmless "medicine".

Cannabis from 100 years ago is not the heavily refined and cultured product it is today.

Ultimately there is something called rationalization. People are going to rationalize their use of drugs, alcohol or any other behavior that causes harm and they'll concoct whatever story and fantasy they need, including proclaiming it as "medicine". Alcohol abusers and cocaine snorters do the same thing.
Provide one single citation to prove anything you've said. Give one citation from any of the many well qualified imaginary research physicians you supposedly know. Or just stop spreading the BS. It's too thick already.

What are you, a drug company sales rep? DEA officer? Pot lawyer? Private prison investor? Liquor store owner?

And "cannabis pushers"??? It doesn't matter what you are. You're a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 08:30 PM
 
20,840 posts, read 39,059,222 times
Reputation: 19074
MMJ delivery systems are the subject of this recent article. Timely, don't you think?
__________________
- Please follow our TOS.
- Any Questions about City-Data? See the FAQ list.
- Want some detailed instructions on using the site? See The Guide for plain english explanation.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:31 PM
 
1,059 posts, read 1,635,035 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Sane, rational people question the wisdom of taking a potent psychoactive drug called cannabis that alters your state of mind and causes a myriad of health issues. Cannabis is not something harmless like ground up cranberries and I think you do your cause wrong by continuing to push this myth that cannabis is completely harmless and has no negative effect on people, when tons of research and anecdotal evidence suggests otherwise.

My point/example about hydrogen peroxide is very valid in regards to how people latch onto these magical wonder cures and self medicate themselves without questioning how such a drug is going to affect their brain and body.
Citation please as to where I said it was harmless? I said it was very low risk. Statistically far lower than aspirin or Tylenol.

Citation please on all those "tons of research" that you constantly refer to and never cite?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:37 PM
 
1,059 posts, read 1,635,035 times
Reputation: 1928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
MMJ delivery systems are the subject of this recent article. Timely, don't you think?
That's pretty good Mike. I've made some crazy ones myself over the years, especially as a teenager. Now I prefer the high quality Pyrex 7mm glass bongs from manufacturers like Molino.

Glass Bongs, Pyrex Glass Bongs, Molino Glass Bongs

They are easily cleaned in the dishwasher and come out sparkling clean.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 07:46 AM
 
Location: New Jersey
188 posts, read 146,838 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
MMJ delivery systems are the subject of this recent article. Timely, don't you think?
Delivery systems have come a long way, Mike. And contrary to those who compare medical marijuana with cigarettes, a report from JAMA, cited in the article from Science News below, comes to a different conclusion based on -- SCIENCE! -- not propaganda.

Light pot smoking easy on lungs | Body & Brain | Science News

Marijuana Fights Cancer and Helps Manage Side Effects, Researchers Find - The Daily Beast

And here it is from international news agency, Reuters:

Pot smokers don't puff away lung health: study | Reuters

For those who still refuse to accept scientific reality and insist on believing the canard of the dangers of smoking pot, here's another bit of modern science to negate that argument and burst their propaganda bubble: No one needs to smoke it at all anymore!

Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Or, medical marijuana can always be ingested through the digestive system in myriad recipes or elixirs available in states that aren't ruled by ignorant authoritarians who refuse to recognize science and/or are beholden to one of the several interest group who make their living off of that ignorance.

The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal | Alternet

Why Can't You Smoke Pot? Because Lobbyists Are Getting Rich Off of the War on Drugs

And get a load of this: While the irrefutable science is in and the ignorant continue to ignore it, while hundreds of thousands are arrested and incarcerated every year in this ignorant country, the banksters are laundering BILLIONS in drug money and getting away with it, which only goes to prove the entire, failed trillion dollar and still spending "War on Drugs" -- America's longest war in history, started by none other than Richard Nixon by executive order -- is a sham, a joke, and just another money making scheme kept in place by the same people who wage this ridiculous propaganda war.

They make billions laundering drug money. You go to jail for smoking a little pot. How ignorant is that?

Matt Taibbi: You Can Go to Prison for Pot, While Big Banks Get Away With Laundering Drug Cartel Cash | Alternet

Banks Financing Mexico Gangs Admitted in Wells Fargo Deal - Bloomberg

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/wo...agewanted=all&

Can you guess why they're keeping pot illegal now?

Daily Kos: STUNNING! Banksters launder foreign drug cartel money as Wells Fargo invests in for-profit prisons

Enjoy the light reading or, more likely for some of the posters above, remain in the dark. Just please stop insisting that the rest of us stay there with you.

Last edited by bobd04; 01-07-2013 at 08:05 AM.. Reason: References
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
 
Location: Bend, OR
3,296 posts, read 8,423,223 times
Reputation: 3321
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobd04 View Post
Delivery systems have come a long way, Mike. And contrary to those who compare medical marijuana with cigarettes, a report from JAMA, cited in the article from Science News below, comes to a different conclusion based on -- SCIENCE! -- not propaganda.

Light pot smoking easy on lungs | Body & Brain | Science News

Marijuana Fights Cancer and Helps Manage Side Effects, Researchers Find - The Daily Beast

And here it is from international news agency, Reuters:

Pot smokers don't puff away lung health: study | Reuters

For those who still refuse to accept scientific reality and insist on believing the canard of the dangers of smoking pot, here's another bit of modern science to negate that argument and burst their propaganda bubble: No one needs to smoke it at all anymore!

Pax Vaporizer by Ploom

Or, medical marijuana can always be ingested through the digestive system in myriad recipes or elixirs available in states that aren't ruled by ignorant authoritarians who refuse to recognize science and/or are beholden to one of the several interest group who make their living off of that ignorance.

The Top Five Special Interest Groups Lobbying To Keep Marijuana Illegal | Alternet

Why Can't You Smoke Pot? Because Lobbyists Are Getting Rich Off of the War on Drugs

And get a load of this: While the irrefutable science is in and the ignorant continue to ignore it, while hundreds of thousands are arrested and incarcerated every year in this ignorant country, the banksters are laundering BILLIONS in drug money and getting away with it, which only goes to prove the entire, failed trillion dollar and still spending "War on Drugs" -- America's longest war in history, started by none other than Richard Nixon by executive order -- is a sham, a joke, and just another money making scheme kept in place by the same people who wage this ridiculous propaganda war.

They make billions laundering drug money. You go to jail for smoking a little pot. How ignorant is that?

Matt Taibbi: You Can Go to Prison for Pot, While Big Banks Get Away With Laundering Drug Cartel Cash | Alternet

Banks Financing Mexico Gangs Admitted in Wells Fargo Deal - Bloomberg

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/04/wo...agewanted=all&

Can you guess why they're keeping pot illegal now?

Daily Kos: STUNNING! Banksters launder foreign drug cartel money as Wells Fargo invests in for-profit prisons

Enjoy the light reading or, more likely for some of the posters above, remain in the dark. Just please stop insisting that the rest of us stay there with you.
Excellent post! I've learned that people like wanaroo will never believe this research because they don't want to. Instead, they continue to believe that marijuana is a drug that belongs in it's current classification alongside heroin! They are also quick to claim that it doesn't help medically, when they have never actually tried it to make the decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:16 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top