U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-17-2007, 11:22 AM
 
4 posts, read 14,138 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Hi,
I'm moving from Princeton NJ, down to Colorado, and were Spanish. And I was wondering if racism is big down in Colorado. We were looking at apartments, and houses in Boulder, cause my daughter goes to University of Colorado Boulder. And I was wondering more information about Colorado and racism, because people have told me that its a problem. But i'm not sure. And both of my kids would be in High school. Right now they are a Senior, and a Sophmore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
 
Location: Las Flores, Orange County, CA
26,346 posts, read 82,993,631 times
Reputation: 17515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valeria10 View Post
And I was wondering if racism is big down in Colorado.

According to the 2000 Census, Colorado was actually positioned near the bottom with only 0.8 racists per 100 people:

Alabama 8.0
Alaska 9.7
Arizona 1.3
Arkansas 2.9
California 4.9
Colorado 0.8
Connecticut 2.7
Delaware 4.8
Florida 8.6
Georgia 6.7
Hawaii 1.3
Idaho 5.4
Illinois 0.6
Indiana 3.4
Iowa 2.0
Kansas 7.9
Kentucky 8.0
Louisiana 6.2
Maine 6.3
Maryland 9.3
Massachusetts 7.7
Michigan 1.3
Minnesota 0.6
Mississippi 8.5
Missouri 10.0
Montana 4.6
Nebraska 7.1
Nevada 9.1
New Hampshire 8.1
New Jersey 7.6
New Mexico 9.0
New York 0.5
North Carolina 1.6
North Dakota 3.5
Ohio 4.8
Oklahoma 7.8
Oregon 1.0
Pennsylvania 2.3
Rhode Island 4.8
South Carolina 8.6
South Dakota 4.7
Tennessee 1.1
Texas 2.2
Utah 8.0
Vermont 0.5
Virginia 5.0
Washington 7.7
West Virginia 3.6
Wisconsin 2.6
Wyoming 4.9
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 12:13 PM
 
549 posts, read 1,280,881 times
Reputation: 468
Alot of us Coloradoans have problems with those who wish to reside in our state (and nation) illegally, but in general don't have any issues with those of any minority race (or otherwise) who come here legally - and act like responsible and productive citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 PM
 
Location: So Cal
320 posts, read 1,604,241 times
Reputation: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by rya700 View Post
Alot of us Coloradoans have problems with those who wish to reside in our state (and nation) illegally, but in general don't have any issues with those of any minority race (or otherwise) who come here legally - and act like responsible and productive citizens.
how can you tell the difference? I live in So Cal and can't tell you which are legal and which aren't ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 PM
Status: "Summer!" (set 18 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
86,999 posts, read 102,581,357 times
Reputation: 33059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
According to the 2000 Census, Colorado was actually positioned near the bottom with only 0.8 racists per 100 people:

Alabama 8.0
Alaska 9.7
Arizona 1.3
Arkansas 2.9
California 4.9
Colorado 0.8
Connecticut 2.7
Delaware 4.8
Florida 8.6
Georgia 6.7
Hawaii 1.3
Idaho 5.4
Illinois 0.6
Indiana 3.4
Iowa 2.0
Kansas 7.9
Kentucky 8.0
Louisiana 6.2
Maine 6.3
Maryland 9.3
Massachusetts 7.7
Michigan 1.3
Minnesota 0.6
Mississippi 8.5
Missouri 10.0
Montana 4.6
Nebraska 7.1
Nevada 9.1
New Hampshire 8.1
New Jersey 7.6
New Mexico 9.0
New York 0.5
North Carolina 1.6
North Dakota 3.5
Ohio 4.8
Oklahoma 7.8
Oregon 1.0
Pennsylvania 2.3
Rhode Island 4.8
South Carolina 8.6
South Dakota 4.7
Tennessee 1.1
Texas 2.2
Utah 8.0
Vermont 0.5
Virginia 5.0
Washington 7.7
West Virginia 3.6
Wisconsin 2.6
Wyoming 4.9
The figure for Illinois seems a little low, LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2007, 09:36 PM
 
8,317 posts, read 25,849,882 times
Reputation: 9138
The influx of illegal aliens from Mexico and Central America is definitely heightening ethnic tensions in the western U.S., and Colorado is no exception. Sadly, the region is also having problems with Hispanic gangs, many headed by gangbangers who have relocated from California. Unfortunately, this has caused a number of Colorado residents to believe that any Hispanic is automatically an illegal or a gang banger. Of course, that is not true, but the perception persists. So, yes, there can be some prejudice.

The Hispanic population in Colorado is by no means homogenous. In the metro areas, a fair number of Hispanics are often first-generation U.S. residents (legal or illegal). In many of the rural parts of the state, especially the southern half of Colorado, many Hispanics can trace their roots back generations--some back farther than this part of the country being ceded to the U.S. by Mexico (in 1848). I would guess Boulder to be one of the least Hispanic areas in Colorado. Just a few miles away, though--in, say, Fort Lupton or Brighton, you would find a large percentage of Hispanic residents. Go to some of the southernmost counties in Colorado, and the population percentage that is Hispanic can approach 75%. So, Hispanics have had a long presence in Colorado and most of the old line natives, Hispanic or Anglo (old line natives which, themselves are becoming a distinct minority), are used to it. As a point of trivia--18 out 64 counties in Colorado have Spanish names--that ought to tell you something about the heritage of the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2007, 06:59 AM
 
4 posts, read 14,138 times
Reputation: 10
Me, and my two kids arent illegal. My son and I have a green card. And my daughter wasd born here, so she has an american passport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-11-2008, 01:50 PM
 
8 posts, read 31,025 times
Reputation: 13
I am married to an Hispanic "coconut" and we have never experienced racism in Colorado. We know a ton of Hispanic/ white couples. More than Texas and Oregon. (places we have previously lived) I think the racism in colorado is towards those who do not assimilate or whose children join gangs ans such. That is to be expected. Personally we saw more racism in Texas than anywhere else. That seems to be how the south is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top