U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 PM

19 posts, read 46,283 times

Advertisements

Big thank you to everyone for all the info on local papers for rental listings. This helps a lot. I also appreciate the reiteration about the limited window of sun each day- this is important for sure.

My intention, and way of "visiting first" is to move to a general area that offers multiple cities as options for long term relocation, and to rent first- then buy. I will enjoy living in Ouray for a year or so and in the meantime check out many of the cities in proximity to find my ideal spot. I'm looking for good soil for planting a vegetable garden and orchard, good water supply- well, or stream, and possibilities for alternative energy, in the property I will ultimately buy. (I'm retired btw, brightdoglover. It's a fair question).

If anyone has thoughts or experience with other areas that would meet my criteria I'm open to hear it. I'm still wondering about Rye and Beulah... I know they had some water issues in the past as much of Colorado does I've heard. ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2013, 11:27 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,008,682 times
Wink Ouray vs, well, somewhere else

The late actor Dennis Weaver eventually moved from his spectacular Earthship home above Taos, NM to somewhere around Ridgway, CO, with the same type of construction. You can't get much more alternative than an energy efficient home like that.

Water is always an issue in Colorado, and all the more so if more than basic residential use is envisioned. However the Uncompahgre River flows directly through Ouray and then north, so at least potentially there are water resources. While anything more than a small home garden would be problematic in Ouray proper, that box canyon gradually opens wider the farther north one goes. The price of property would likely make any commercial operation prohibitive in penciling out within a century or so, but otherwise it is ranch and, to some vague extent, farming country. Most commercial farming will lie farther north towards Grand Junction where conditions, and land prices, are more conducive.

Rye and Beulah might be in Colorado, but otherwise on the other side of the planet insofar as any discussion of Ouray and vicinity is concerned. Serious consideration of one place kind of precludes the other, as the realities rather different.

Ouray and environs excel in scenery. All else is rather secondary, with many other locals, even Ridgway, better insofar as day to day practicalities. To live there one pretty much has to be in love with the mountains, with that easily overriding such petty annoyances as driving to Montrose or farther for more major shopping. Etc. and etc. But send those elsewhere a postcard from your home in Ouray and they'll surely think you've already died and gone to heaven.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:11 AM

My love of the mountains does override the minor inconvenience posed by lack of features that provide comfort, convenience, or pleasure. I'm a simple person who recognizes that nature, fresh air, sunshine, and water are the basic amenities necessary to make me happy.

Thanks for informing me about the Uncompahgre River, and I have no idea who Dennis Weaver and his spectacular Earthship were...

Those who dwell among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life. ~R. Carson

Old 01-06-2013, 10:33 AM

3,296 posts, read 8,408,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenChilly12 View Post
Big thank you to everyone for all the info on local papers for rental listings. This helps a lot. I also appreciate the reiteration about the limited window of sun each day- this is important for sure.

My intention, and way of "visiting first" is to move to a general area that offers multiple cities as options for long term relocation, and to rent first- then buy. I will enjoy living in Ouray for a year or so and in the meantime check out many of the cities in proximity to find my ideal spot. I'm looking for good soil for planting a vegetable garden and orchard, good water supply- well, or stream, and possibilities for alternative energy, in the property I will ultimately buy. (I'm retired btw, brightdoglover. It's a fair question).

If anyone has thoughts or experience with other areas that would meet my criteria I'm open to hear it. I'm still wondering about Rye and Beulah... I know they had some water issues in the past as much of Colorado does I've heard. ?
The one thing that stands out with this post is your desire to find good soil for planting a vegetable garden and orchard. I don't know the specifics of the soil in Ouray, but I do know the climate is going to make gardening very difficult. I've lived in mountainous locations in Colorado, and currently live in the High Desert of Oregon, and gardening in these short summer season locales requires some type of frost protection for most of the season. If you manage to get things to grow at all without an extensive greenhouse, you will also have to worry about wildlife eating your bounty.

Now, perhaps you aren't think Ouray will be your settling down point, as I also interpret that from your post. The Grand Valley, Montrose and Delta areas are all great for gardening, although they are more desert like that mountainous terrain (but you will be within a reasonable drive to mountains). Before I moved to Bend, I lived in Grand Junction, and never had trouble with gardening.

As others have pointed out, Rye and Beulah are quite different than Ouray and perhaps you might be better off to post a second thread asking questions specifically about that area. I spent a summer working for the Forest Service in the Wet Mountains. I didn't spend any time in those towns though, so I can't really comment other than to say it's a beautiful part of the state, that often gets overlooked.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:46 PM

5,656 posts, read 9,389,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenChilly12 View Post
Where are housing rentals typically listed for Ouray? Craigslist "Westernslope" doesn't seem to include Ouray, (or else Ouray rentals are just few and far between). Are the Ouray County Watch and Plaindealer the best bet other than a realtor/property manager?
My experience living in Grand Junction is that house rentals are typically listed on front lawns.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:00 PM

Thank you Delta07Dreamer... I'm taking a course from CountryLivingUniversity, (Dave Westbrook- documentary "America's Cities"), that teaches all about relocating to the country. It covers everything from finances, gardening, (with a bit about wildlife eating your bounty), alternative energy, food storage, home remedies, etc. I welcome the education and am looking forward to living a country lifestyle in the near future!

Good to know Grand Junction is good for gardening. I will definitely find the local farmer's markets to sustain me until I learn to grow my own.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM

11,021 posts, read 12,358,036 times
Um, if you're living in Ouray, Grand Junction isn't really "close". And Ridgway has a Farmer's Market every Friday in summer in the town park. You really need to visit first. You may want to look at the Northridge Apartments in Ridgway, and the condos there. They have south facing units that are warm in winter, what ever you do don't get a north facing one or "the caves" as they are called.

Growing season in Ouray is June, July, August. I've seen it snow on July 4th and in the middle of August there. Anyway, good luck again.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 AM

4,689 posts, read 4,311,209 times
Haven't looked at this thread again until now. Looks like everyone has been giving you some good pretty good advice. You'll need to decide which is more important to you - a small town up in the mountains or a place where you can grow a garden that supplements what you have to buy from the grocery store. As others have mentioned, you'll have a hard time growing much of a vegetable garden in Ouray or any other town in Colorado at that altitude.

I would suggest that you use Montrose, rather than Grand Junction as your springboard. Grand Junction is the biggest town on the West Slope and it's not really in the mountains - think the Canyonlands area of Utah when you think Grand Junction. Montrose is smaller and closer to the mountains as well as being closer to the sort of places that you want to live in. I'd suggest Cedaredge which is a nice small town located in the West Slope's orchard growing region (better place to garden) and just a hop and a skip away from Grand Mesa - a pretty spectacular part of Colorado IMO. The town of Colbran, located just over the other side of Grand Mesa to the north might also work.

As far as Rye and Beulah - meh. They're ok, but other places in that part of Colorado are nicer. I'd suggest the town of La Veta which is a pretty little place near the Spanish Peaks or maybe Westcliffe which is closer to the Wet Mountains. La Veta would be a better place to have a garden, I think.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:18 AM

11,021 posts, read 12,358,036 times
Cedaredge? No no no no. That town has way too many problems, political infighting, some of the worst kids this side of Paonia and a local motorcycle gang.

OP needs to visit, and spend time here.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 AM

5,656 posts, read 9,389,023 times
If you don't want to do Cedaredge, consider Crawford or Paonia which are also very nice - more scenic than Cedaredge in my opinion - and it also looks like there's quite a bit of agriculture in Crawford. I used to go up there to fish at the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado