U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM

4 posts, read 19,005 times

Advertisements

Hello! My family of four is aspiring to move to the area of Delta/Montrose Colorado. We live in a small town in AZ out in the country now, so we have no issues with living remote, the weather or the dry air. My main concern is crime rate, & schools. I would like any information that anyone may have on the following:

~Crime Rate (from what I have found Delta and Montrose are supposid high crime areas? I searched the crime rate in my current area and it's listed as high also, which does not make sense because we never lock the doors, close our windows and feel safe being out at night. I feel like my area is a very safe, so it makes me wonder if what I am finding on the internet is all hot air?? )

~Schools-Our daughters are in 4H and Music, so would like to know if they have these programs? Are the schools good?

~Would you move your family there?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Kim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 03:11 PM

178 posts, read 488,137 times
My wife and I are originally from Flagstaff/Prescott Arizona and have found Montrose to be a great place to live. We live in the county on the west side of town just outside the city limits and haven't found crime to be a problem at all. My wife leaves the front door unlocked all the time. My child goes to Cottonwood elementary and we are very satisfied with the school. She also attends a music class at school. Go to Montrose/Ouray County Extension 4-H for info on 4H. There is enough shopping in town, (Target, Walmart, Safeway, Sports Authority, Office Depot, 2 City Markets, JCPenney, Hastings, Murdochs, many smaller local shops...etc), that you don't often have to leave to Grand Junction to buy what you need.

You live in a nice part of Arizona. Montrose would be like the big city for you and doesn't have as many trees or get as much rain/snow as Nutrioso. You should definitely visit to see if this area is to your liking if you haven't already.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 PM

5,682 posts, read 9,417,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimasKim View Post
Hello! My family of four is aspiring to move to the area of Delta/Montrose Colorado. We live in a small town in AZ out in the country now, so we have no issues with living remote, the weather or the dry air. My main concern is crime rate, & schools. I would like any information that anyone may have on the following:

~Crime Rate (from what I have found Delta and Montrose are supposid high crime areas?
No ... I lived in Grand Junction a couple years ago and didn't see any noticeable crime in the area, and that included Delta and Montrose. In fact Grand Junction was one of the safest places I had ever lived. In other places (different states), I had some trepidation about my wife walking around alone, but in Grand Junction I had no issues at all with her going for walks and bike rides by herself.

Quote:
~Would you move your family there?
I definitely can recommend living in that area if you don't mind living in a small town and don't mind what can be kind of harsh weather sometimes.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:54 PM

11,049 posts, read 12,398,038 times
There are lots and lots of threads here on both Delta and Montrose. Having lived in Delta for a couple of years, there really is zero crime and most crime consists of the typical thefts and non violent goings on. Montrose is the same, and is a larger town with more to offer.

The thing I have noticed about Delta is the parents are very involved in the schools and their kids. Most school activities, including school plays, swim meets, etc are standing room only. That impressed me. Delta get VERY hot in summer and there are howling winds in the afternoon.

Visit both towns first, either would be a good choice if you want to live in a town.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GStone777 View Post
My wife and I are originally from Flagstaff/Prescott Arizona and have found Montrose to be a great place to live. We live in the county on the west side of town just outside the city limits and haven't found crime to be a problem at all. My wife leaves the front door unlocked all the time. My child goes to Cottonwood elementary and we are very satisfied with the school. She also attends a music class at school. Go to Montrose/Ouray County Extension 4-H for info on 4H. There is enough shopping in town, (Target, Walmart, Safeway, Sports Authority, Office Depot, 2 City Markets, JCPenney, Hastings, Murdochs, many smaller local shops...etc), that you don't often have to leave to Grand Junction to buy what you need.

You live in a nice part of Arizona. Montrose would be like the big city for you and doesn't have as many trees or get as much rain/snow as Nutrioso. You should definitely visit to see if this area is to your liking if you haven't already.
Thank you so much for the info! We do live in a nice place, but are looking for a change. We are pretty remote now so wouldn't mind that a bit. We are going to head up there in the spring so we'll take a look at both. Appreciate your help

Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
There are lots and lots of threads here on both Delta and Montrose. Having lived in Delta for a couple of years, there really is zero crime and most crime consists of the typical thefts and non violent goings on. Montrose is the same, and is a larger town with more to offer.

The thing I have noticed about Delta is the parents are very involved in the schools and their kids. Most school activities, including school plays, swim meets, etc are standing room only. That impressed me. Delta get VERY hot in summer and there are howling winds in the afternoon.

Visit both towns first, either would be a good choice if you want to live in a town.

Thank you! That's very encouraging about the schools. We live in a pretty windy spot now so guess that wouldn't be too bad. I will search for the other threads that have info, thanks for the heads up! Greatly appreciate taking the time to post

Old 01-07-2013, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
No ... I lived in Grand Junction a couple years ago and didn't see any noticeable crime in the area, and that included Delta and Montrose. In fact Grand Junction was one of the safest places I had ever lived. In other places (different states), I had some trepidation about my wife walking around alone, but in Grand Junction I had no issues at all with her going for walks and bike rides by herself.

I definitely can recommend living in that area if you don't mind living in a small town and don't mind what can be kind of harsh weather sometimes.

Thank you so much for the information, appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.The info. will help greatly!

Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM

79 posts, read 254,622 times
You can visit the Montrose school district online at Montrose - Index. The websites are okay, but most of the district's resources have been put into the classroom recently with state-wide budget cuts (not flashy websites). Definitely visit in person when you are here.

My kids are getting a good education considering the size of the community and the rural location. They may not have as many choices as kids living in a more metropolitan area (charter schools, language immersion schools, arts schools, etc) but I don't doubt that living here is worth the trade off. Our schools still have music and art classes in K-8 (and more specific elective opportunities once they are in HS). The Montrose middle schools both offer band, jazz band and show choir. The towns or Montrose and Olathe are both part of the Montrose school district -- Olathe is a very small agricultural town 10 miles north of Montrose.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:39 AM

5,682 posts, read 9,417,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellKing View Post
They may not have as many choices as kids living in a more metropolitan area (charter schools, language immersion schools, arts schools, etc)
Actually Grand junction has a language immersion school (Spanish).

Old 08-20-2013, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,046 times
Grew up in Montrose and my take on "high crime" is that in any small town you will show higher statistics because there are more police per citizen than big cities and more criminals are caught. There is crime everywhere. Montrose, Delta and the Western Slope of Colorado is a great place to live, unless you are a criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado