Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:25 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,113,429 times

Advertisements

I'd recommend the Central California coast if you can find employment there. Plenty of great produce and farmers markets there. It's also fairly liberal friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:43 PM

178 posts, read 602,123 times
Hippies, gardens, farmers markets, not too cold, hiking, biking...etc...=Portland, Oregon. Eugene, Salem or Corvallis Oregon might work also. I have an aging hippie brother who lives near Grants Pass, Oregon and other relatives in the northwest part of the state and I think that lifestyle would work for you.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,925,448 times
redhotcrystal wrote: wind chills of below 30 degrees.

If you are wanting to escape winter weather, Colorado is not the place for you. Winter weather in Colorado is not merely winter like...it is hard core winter. The actual temperature in Alamosa Colorado was recently 34 BELOW ZERO. That's without the windchill. And over here in the so-called banana belt of Grand Junction there have already been 13 mornings with BELOW ZERO temperatures, and we have not yet completed a full month of winter.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 01-13-2013 at 09:34 PM..

Old 01-14-2013, 01:00 PM

18,601 posts, read 33,168,447 times
OP should move to Massachusetts. Today it's 60 and sunny and clear, and the bit of snow and ice from the one plowable storm (and four cold days) is gone. This is very weird.

Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM

2,145 posts, read 5,049,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotcrystal View Post
Hello All,
I need some locals help on obtaining information about areas in Colorado. I live in Wisconsin and hate it. Once my husband is done with school in 1 1/2 years we are planning on making a move somewhere out west. We have focused mainly on Cali and Arizon, but over the last year or so it just seems like it may not be the right place with prices to high for a family of 6. Here is some info on what we are looking for if anyone could pass on some insight that would be greatly appreciated. I have a degree in paralegal and business management. My husband is going for Electrical Engineer Tech.
We are looking for a "hippie" type area with farmers markets, co-ops and healthy living lifestyles, a living off the land type of life style where we could have our own garden. We would want an area where they have good schools (Waldorf?) and lots of recreational things to do( not in the cold though - and we don't like skiing)More like biking, swimming, hiking trails, parks, sports like b-ball and volley ball. Now one of the reasons we hate Wisconsin is because it is freezing and the snow. While I know Colorado may still have winter like weather, I am wondering what it is like there in the winter months- temp and amounts of snow. I don't mind the cold so much, but mind you I'm in Wisconsin where we can get 10 to 15 in. of snow and wind chills of below 30 degrees. We need a change please help! Any insight on the state and suggested areas would be helpful. THANKS!
Also, I'd look into OR or CA:

CA is has numerous waldorf charter schools and private schools, though for your specific interests, I'd look into nevada city/grass valley area. Also, Arcata/Eurkea in humboldt and small surrounding towns.

Eugene, OR area would probably be a better choice for living off grid; also, it's not freezing, not much snow accumulation, etc.

It sounds like you want the hippie vibe with all the amenities of suburban living, though lol.
I mean: living off the grid means you usually will drive a ways to 'good schools, farmer's markets', etc. Also, healthy living and farmer's markets are mainstream now and not the domain of 'hippie'. I think people throw that word around and out of context a lot. Food Co ops are usually found in college towns and large cities.

Eugene probably has the best combination of what you are seeking-and there are many surrounding small towns/communities that could fit the bill, as well. It also has an abundance of amazing small natural food stores [relative to its size, must be one of the highest per capita-lol] and its farmer's market was one of the original US markets, modeled after markets in europe. It's (the market) a great vibe and very down to earth.

Love CO, but you won't find as much of your list wants there. You might love Nederland, though. Great spot. I also don't think boulder qualifies as hippie at all anymore. It still has that reputation, but really it's not like that much anymore-except for folks coming down from Ned to visit. (:

Old 02-05-2014, 12:02 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
I definitely second the suggestion to look into Oregon. There are places in Colorado where you can do some of what you desire, but not without a lot of work (greenhouses, hoop houses, or row coverings, as well as irrigation). Winter in Colorado certainly is not like a winter in WI, but growing seasons are short and water is scarce.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:39 PM

2,075 posts, read 5,100,955 times
Check the date... the original post was January 2013 and the OP hasn't posted since then.

Old 02-05-2014, 04:15 PM

3,296 posts, read 9,650,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neditate View Post
Check the date... the original post was January 2013 and the OP hasn't posted since then.
Whoops! I also see that I already posted saying essentially the same thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado