Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 06:23 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,969,039 times

Advertisements

Coming soon to a town near you, the post office now gone.

Our U.S. Post Office is in financial trouble, again, and thus intending to close almost 4,000 post offices, with every state except Delaware affected. [1]

By my count there will be about 63 post offices closed in Colorado and, as the U.S. Post Office has stipulated, primarily those small in rural locations. Places affected would be Parshall, Silver Plume, Mesa Verde National Park, Powderhorn, etc. The full list of affected post offices can be accessed within the cited article, but link #2 will take you directly to the Colorado list. It is not alphabetically arranged, nor in apparent order, so just scan down the list.

As mentioned within this article, there will be a brief period for public comment for those taking exception to their post office being closed. Good luck.

1) 'Nearly 4,000 Post Offices Might Close,' The New York Times
Expanded Access Study List - Colorado

2) List of proposed Colorado post offices (to close)
Expanded Access Study List - Colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2011, 06:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,158,182 times
And I hear the next thing to go will be the telegraph offices because of them new fangled telephones.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 AM

18,176 posts, read 25,728,355 times
Not surprising that the USPS would do this. It's only going to be a matter of time before thy put an end to Saturday delivery IMO.

Regarding my area of the state, I'm not too surprised by some of the towns mentioned. Towns like Paradox and Bedrock are plenty remote from the Nucla/Naturita area (which is remote as well). The distances between these areas are 35 to 40 miles from each other. On the other hand, other post offices (Lazear and Molina on the Grand Mesa) aren't very far from other towns (Cedaredge and Mesa.)

Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 AM

23 posts, read 98,785 times
They should cut back to 3 times a week for letter delivery...most of our mail is JUNK mail anyways that we never look at. If delivering letter mail was profitable UPS and FedEX would be doing it...LOL USPS needs to stick to boxes... and have better hours at their locations so you can mail packages. You walk in as it is now and there is one teller to help 30 people in line. That is assuming your able to go when the post office is open.

I'm surprised places don't delivery mail more like CO and use the grouped together mailboxes...saves them fuel and time by not having to go to each mailbox. My friend in Denver they still have a postal guy that walks around in their neighborhood. Seems kind of silly to me....another place a grouped together mail box location be smart.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:52 AM

8,596 posts, read 14,792,371 times
The Post Office has been in financial trouble for years. Saturday delivery will likely be history within the next year.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 AM

23 posts, read 98,785 times
Letter mail only works if the Government pays for it (meaning us in taxes). I think its a worthwhile service to keep, but still feel it should be cut back to 3 days a week...if not ONE. Because if you think about it back in the horse days you only got mail once a week. It might mean people will get a bundle of mail instead of one piece of junk.

Think about it a bundle your more opt to look through it and through the ads...a piece I quickly toss it int he garbage....LOL It might even make getting the mail special again...we only get it twice a week...maybe more if I remember but not a big deal if I don't.

Old 07-27-2011, 11:43 AM

50,357 posts, read 23,934,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modette View Post
Letter mail only works if the Government pays for it (meaning us in taxes). I think its a worthwhile service to keep, but still feel it should be cut back to 3 days a week...if not ONE. Because if you think about it back in the horse days you only got mail once a week. It might mean people will get a bundle of mail instead of one piece of junk.

Think about it a bundle your more opt to look through it and through the ads...a piece I quickly toss it int he garbage....LOL It might even make getting the mail special again...we only get it twice a week...maybe more if I remember but not a big deal if I don't.
I doubt that many would agree with you about once a week service. And, by the way, we're not back in the "horse days".

Old 07-27-2011, 12:07 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,969,039 times
Wink Correction & better than Hanksville

Note: I made an error with reference to 'The New York Times' article in question. The link provided is redundant, referring incorrectly to the Colorado list. The proper link to that article is here:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/27/us...20Close&st=cse

If they closed my small post office I'd no longer have curbside delivery, with then a four mile drive to the next nearest small post office. If that one closed as well, then 10 miles to something larger that surely would remain.

That might be inconvenient, but nothing compared to what the citizens of Bedrock and Paradox, CO will face. With their post offices scheduled to close, it seems they now face a one-way drive of at least 20 miles, to either La Sal, UT, or Naturita, CO.

That amounts to a lot more than a walk down the block to a common gang box. I've read that the U.S. Post Office allowed developers the option of using these gang boxes or opting for traditional mail delivery to one's home. But my impression is that this is really mandatory, and that the only homes still receiving mail delivered to their door are grandfathered in. My parents always receive their mail delivered through the mail slot at their front door, as does everyone else in their neighborhood. At other addresses I've had to use a gang box; at this older house, now, I receive it at my mailbox by the side of the road. Sure a lot more convenient than walking down the block everyday, or driving 40 miles or more round trip.

This from someone who doesn't even receive all that much mail. But life isn't fair, although my feeling those without traditional mail delivery at a disadvantage. Somehow our U.S. Postal Service may sort itself out, but for now they retain their traditional monopoly on first class mail. UPS, FedEx or anyone else need not apply, at least not to your door; my understanding however that their aircraft and such used for bulk transfer.

If relying upon me, our U.S. Post Office would go out of business. Virtually all my correspondence is via email. The last thing I received from the post office was a small package ordered online, which the sender could just as easily have sent UPS if they wished. But some people, and even me at times, still rely on their post office. For some things, at some times, it is still necessary.

Which would not be much comfort to those living in Hanksville, Utah. Their post office is scheduled to close as well. Check out that town on a map, and you'll see just how far up a creek they are.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:26 PM

6,662 posts, read 9,218,475 times
I like the automated kiosks that are found at a lot of the post offices in Denver. I can mail packages, buy stamps, etc., from one of those well after the post office has closed for the day. I think I read somewhere that the USPS is going to start partnering with grocery stores, etc., to place kiosks within businesses. Maybe that would be a bit of a solution for remote areas that will be losing a post office, if there is somewhere to put a kiosk.

Interestingly enough, I remember my post office was on a list of sites that were being investigated for closure, but then nothing ever seemed to come from the investigation, and now it's not on the current list of closures in Colorado. Odd.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:39 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,611,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I like the automated kiosks that are found at a lot of the post offices in Denver. I can mail packages, buy stamps, etc., from one of those well after the post office has closed for the day. I think I read somewhere that the USPS is going to start partnering with grocery stores, etc., to place kiosks within businesses. Maybe that would be a bit of a solution for remote areas that will be losing a post office, if there is somewhere to put a kiosk.

Interestingly enough, I remember my post office was on a list of sites that were being investigated for closure, but then nothing ever seemed to come from the investigation, and now it's not on the current list of closures in Colorado. Odd.
The automated kiosks would be great. The odd occasion I would have to mail a package it would make it easier, rather than standing in line.

The post office needs to definitely close some places that have few residents around and consolidate resources. Also some mail offices need more help, such as Avon, CO, due to the high turnover of people in that town. That PO is way understaffed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado