U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 07:02 PM

4,697 posts, read 4,327,280 times

Advertisements

Down here in the Four Corners, things are pretty grim. The only town that seems to have very many jobs is Durango, and if you need a job to live then you can't afford to live in Durango!

I've seen statistics stating that unemployment in my part of the state stands at 20% ! Don't know if that's correct, but I've been laid off for 6 months now and it sure feels that way, anyhow.

I'm looking for work in the hospitality industry, but I have lots of varied work experience, and if an employer gave me a job, I'd figure out how to do it! I'm going to have to move to find work, and I'm thinking things may be better in GJ. Are they?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 07:11 PM

13,941 posts, read 20,184,988 times
https://www.google.com/publicdata/ex...and%20junction

Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 AM

Interesting chart, although on such a large scale, it's had to interpret what the unemployment rate for GJ over say the last 6 months has been. Appears to have been between 10 -14% which while better than the 20% here, is hardly worth writing home about. *sigh*

When I hear someone on the national news talk about the "recovery," I wonder where they're talking about - the Dakota's or Nebraska, maybe, but certainly NOT the Western Slope.

Still would be interested to get a take on things from anyone now living in the Grand Junction area.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:00 AM

7,764 posts, read 16,834,005 times
Officially, I believe the Grand Junction unemployment rate is in the vicinity of 10%, but in reality it is significantly higher than that.

Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 AM

352 posts, read 588,357 times
Move to Williston, North Dakota. They have like a zero percent unemployment rate. I checked out jobs there yesterday and over 400 were listed. True story.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:00 AM

5,676 posts, read 9,415,476 times
Well when we lived in GJ three years ago there were no jobs. I don't know if the situation has changed, but I would be suprised if it was any better now. The thing is, Grand junction is a small rural town and jobs are hard to come by in this economy in any small rural town, save a few "niche" type jobs.

You might look at Denver. The Denver economy seems to be better than the nationwide average.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:12 PM

*sigh*

Given the replies I've gotten here and the responses on the other Grand Junction thread, looks like I'm out of luck - along with many others who wish to live on the West Slope. Prolonged drought which is predicted to get worse, bad economic times, and isolation are all hitting the West Slope hard.

As for moving to Denver - I grew up in Colorado Springs, attended school in both Denver and Boulder and have spent parts of my life living and working in all 3 of those cities.

If I moved back to say, Denver, I would exist in a state of exile. I don't belong on the Front Range. I'm sure I could go back there and pick up work without too much trouble, but I'd be as much out of place in Denver as a mountain lion would be.

Time to start thinking outside of the box and come up with some alternative besides returning to traffic jams and smog and the rest.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:46 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,523,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
Interesting chart, although on such a large scale, it's had to interpret what the unemployment rate for GJ over say the last 6 months has been. Appears to have been between 10 -14% which while better than the 20% here, is hardly worth writing home about. *sigh*

When I hear someone on the national news talk about the "recovery," I wonder where they're talking about - the Dakota's or Nebraska, maybe, but certainly NOT the Western Slope.

Still would be interested to get a take on things from anyone now living in the Grand Junction area.
"Recovery" is a media fiction crafted by media that is the mouth piece for obama. There is no "recovery", it's all been papered over with printing money, artificially low interest rates and the government spending trillions of it on "benefits". The day of reckoning is coming on this era of "cargo cult economics". The US government is making the same mistakes it made in the Great Depression and just like the Great Depression, there were a few months here or there where things were looking better and it never really happened and there was no real recovery.

Talking with people here in Vail, some business has come back, but the only way people moved commercial and residential real estate was to cut their rents or sale price by up to 50% and sometimes more. No one I have heard from has had a wage increase since around 2006 and in many cases had their wages and benefits cut. I'm seeing a lot of empty shops and restaurants and it certainly doesn't have the vibe and energy with people like it did when I lived here.

The city slickers and envirowhackos have voted like a mob to put in place radical politicians and hence bureaucrats that have turned off the water for agriculture and made sure it's damn near impossible to mine or drill for oil/gas. Plus I think the ship has sailed on all of the "show and display" types and their second homes/retirement real estate.

That has left rural Colorado in a perilous financial position.

However, as I was offered my old job back instantly here, one thing is that even in bad times, there is always work to be found for those that have a good work ethic and are reliable and care about their job. That's one thing I hear about here, is that despite the economy and all of it's problems, there is still opportunity because there are too many people out there that don't turn up for work, care about what they are doing, turn up for work stoned or drunk or have a good attitude.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:51 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,523,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
*sigh*

Given the replies I've gotten here and the responses on the other Grand Junction thread, looks like I'm out of luck - along with many others who wish to live on the West Slope. Prolonged drought which is predicted to get worse, bad economic times, and isolation are all hitting the West Slope hard.

As for moving to Denver - I grew up in Colorado Springs, attended school in both Denver and Boulder and have spent parts of my life living and working in all 3 of those cities.

If I moved back to say, Denver, I would exist in a state of exile. I don't belong on the Front Range. I'm sure I could go back there and pick up work without too much trouble, but I'd be as much out of place in Denver as a mountain lion would be.

Time to start thinking outside of the box and come up with some alternative besides returning to traffic jams and smog and the rest.
Unless you bring your money with you, the Western Slope/Rockies is going to be teetering for a long time unless there is political change that will result in the region being able to make real money from real products that can be sold.

If you don't like the Front Range, it might be time to look at another state

Old 01-15-2013, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post

If you don't like the Front Range, it might be time to look at another state
I've been doing some window shopping, but nothing so far has really jumped out at me. I'm back to square one which for me is Durango. La Plata County has jobs and sooner or later an employer will be stupid enough to hire me! Heh! (Actually they'll be getting a good deal because I have a good work ethic and all the rest.) I've been letting the idea of the difficulty in finding housing there stop me before I even begin
which is stupid. So, back to Craigslist for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado