Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2007, 02:48 PM

2 posts, read 5,614 times

Advertisements

I currently live in Alexandria, VA. It's very expensive and the traffic is awful. Colorado has always appealed to me, I have just never been there before. I am not familiar with any of the towns or cities. I am a 23 married women with a 10 month old son. I am looking for a safe area that isn't too secluded. Like any women I love to shop and go out, so these would need to be accessible. I would love to have a mountain view, plus have plenty of snow during the winter months. I love going hiking/ the outdoors, so anywhere that has plenty forest near would be awesome! I am looking for my home to be about for at least a 3 bedroom for 200k. Thank you for all your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 06:48 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,512,049 times
What line of work are you in?

Old 10-18-2007, 08:40 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,598,371 times
I would suggest visiting before making any decisions. You said you've never been here. You should check it out for a couple of weeks to give yourself a chance to see what life in the west is like. Denver is a big city, with lots of opportunities and choices, and close enough to the mountains to enjoy all of the outdoor activities. However, it is not like the east coast! I moved out here from DC 30 years ago and there are lots of differences.

Do you have family in Virginia? Do you really want to move your son this far away from them?

Old 10-19-2007, 09:32 AM

18,655 posts, read 33,240,179 times
Just from what I've seen looking at possible relocation/retirement to Colorado, and from reading a lot on this forum, it sounds like what you want is very unlikely to really exist. The main sticking point is, I think, the $200K. It sounds like you want Denver or some suburb of it, and that price sounds awfully low for a house.
How does a place appeal if you've never been there? Travel shows? Pictures? I'm not trying to be rude, here. I think we all have "a sense" of some places without any real experience- what the place represents, what you think it offers you. For me, it's somewhat "What would my life be like/who would I be/ if I lived in ____." I mean, you could get what you list as wants around Boise, Idaho...

Old 10-19-2007, 10:45 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Just from what I've seen looking at possible relocation/retirement to Colorado, and from reading a lot on this forum, it sounds like what you want is very unlikely to really exist. The main sticking point is, I think, the $200K. It sounds like you want Denver or some suburb of it, and that price sounds awfully low for a house.
How does a place appeal if you've never been there? Travel shows? Pictures? I'm not trying to be rude, here. I think we all have "a sense" of some places without any real experience- what the place represents, what you think it offers you. For me, it's somewhat "What would my life be like/who would I be/ if I lived in ____." I mean, you could get what you list as wants around Boise, Idaho...
I agree with brightdoglover. There has been a thread going about $200K houses in the metro area; it is somewhat agreed (I think) that these houses exist, but take some looking, and may take much work. They will be in neighborhoods with other similar houses, as well. This is not bad, it just is.

As for some of the OPs other requirements, you will be near shopping anywhere in metro Denver or in any of the larger cities. Lots of snow? Some years, yes. Others, not much more than you get in Alexandria. Come and visit. Drive it and see how far you are from Alexandria. Also a consideration is you/your spouse's line of work. Can you find jobs here? It's not just the hiking.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:14 AM

9 posts, read 34,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstorm17 View Post
I currently live in Alexandria, VA. It's very expensive and the traffic is awful.
Traffic is bad here too, especially in and around Denver. You can find areas outside of Denver where traffic isn't so bad, but I'm not sure if it will meet your other expectations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstorm17 View Post
I am looking for a safe area that isn't too secluded.

I am looking for my home to be about for at least a 3 bedroom for 200k. Thank you for all your help!
You will pay a price for safety in a fairly large city such as Denver. That's just the way it is. I think 270,000+ is more realistic.

Old 10-20-2007, 06:30 AM

4,714 posts, read 13,281,581 times
A new suburb city lies south of Colorado Springs. Its name is Fountain. It is safe with all you ask for. Built on a plateau, it has a great view of Colorado Springs and Pike's Peak. It is an area of lakes, red rock and pine clad valleys. You should be able to find a nice home for your money. One of the nicest city areas in the entire country and comparable to Alexandria in culture.

Old 10-20-2007, 07:33 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,334,823 times
Fountain. comparable to Alexandria in culture.

Really? Alexandria is right outside Wash, DC, with all the access to DC cultural events and other amentities; has lots of historic homes, etc. I have never thought of Fountain in that way.

Old 10-20-2007, 01:48 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,895,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
A new suburb city lies south of Colorado Springs. Its name is Fountain.
Huh? Fountain is new? Funny that. I went to swim practice in Fountain when I was a kid. I am in my very late 30s. Not to mention Fountain's chamber of commerce states that Fountain was founded in 1859 and is the oldest city in El Paso County.

Fountain Valley Chamber of Commerce History (http://chamber.fountaincolorado.org/History/index.htm - broken link)

Just saying. Facts are, it's an old little town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado