U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 AM

206 posts, read 472,046 times

Advertisements

I hate to disagree with you all, but......

Yes, ground water is a problem, but........

There are a ton of lakes, reservoirs, etc. fed from the mountain runoff.

I lived in and traveled throughout the state, including 160, for over a decade.

Communities, such as Pagosa Lakes, have built up around all this water.

How you might access all this water is something I don't know.

Run a hose and pump out the back of your house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 11:45 AM

4,697 posts, read 4,330,816 times
Anyone who helps themselves to somebody's else water in Pagosa or elsewhere in Colorado will probably not obtain a happy result. People have water rights, some bodies of water are protected habitat for trout and other fish, etc. Here's one woman's description of obtaining her water supply in Pagosa:

Quote:
Currently I live in Aspen Springs, a small rural community just outside of Pagosa Springs, Colorado. We are one of the 770,000 households who do not have piped water to their land nor have a well. What we have is an eighteen hundred gallon cistern buried in the ground that must be filled regularly in order for us to have water to drink, take showers or wash our clothes.

You get used to the system. For us it is on a three day cycle. Once every three days, we take our water truck to the water point and fill up the 300 gallon tank that is located in the back of the truck. This habit maintains our cistern at a full level.

Old 01-18-2013, 12:36 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,603,494 times
Something to think about!! When I read that Colorado and New Mexico had water rights and problems I didn't know it was that bad. Now, I know why every time I look at a piece of property the real estate are evasive on the water issue. The property probably doesn't have much water.

Old 01-18-2013, 07:06 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Default Shocking

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
Now, I know why every time I look at a piece of property the real estate are evasive on the water issue. The property probably doesn't have much water.
I grew up in the Northeast. 42 inches of rain every year and lack of water is not a problem.
When I moved here to Colorado and found out that you could not legally trap rain water, I was shocked. Then, I found out you could not legally use gray water.
Then I learned about water flowing uphill to money.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
I grew up in the Northeast. 42 inches of rain every year and lack of water is not a problem.
When I moved here to Colorado and found out that you could not legally trap rain water, I was shocked. Then, I found out you could not legally use gray water.
Then I learned about water flowing uphill to money.
Wow! I didn't know that!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:40 AM

80 posts, read 138,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrby View Post
Even by Colorado standards, Pagosa Springs is a dry area - 10 in. of rainfall per year.
actually, the avg water is 20" per year.

PAGOSA SPRINGS, COLORADO - Climate Summary

Old 01-24-2013, 01:11 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gggjfg View Post
I hate to disagree with you all, but......

Yes, ground water is a problem, but........

There are a ton of lakes, reservoirs, etc. fed from the mountain runoff.

I lived in and traveled throughout the state, including 160, for over a decade.

Communities, such as Pagosa Lakes, have built up around all this water.

How you might access all this water is something I don't know.

Run a hose and pump out the back of your house?
You obviously know nothing about water rights in Colorado, even though you say you lived here for over a decade. All water, whether it falls from the sky or whether it is snowmelt or wherever else water comes from, is owned. You cannot put out a cistern and collect water that would have flowed into a stream, river, or reservoir because someone OWNS that water!

Very knowledgable posters on this forum have addressed this issue many times. People interested in buying land in Colorado to raise vegetables or cattle need to know the complexities of this issue. Please don't downplay the complexities of getting water in Colorado!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:04 PM

So, your saying cisterns are illegal. What about building a home with a cistern. I note that on the Santa Fe Trail subdivision, they are to have cisterns which I assume is for fire protection and they do have city water. I am in for a learning lesson because here in Eastern OK you "well .... do as one pleases" which isn't my cup of tea either! I had hoped in retiring saying in either Pagosa, Trindad, or Chama, NM, that I would have water for a green house. I am trying to sell a cattle ranch in Eastern OK. Trinidad will be closer to my grandchildren but I prefer Chama or Pagosa personally.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:37 PM

4,873 posts, read 9,616,291 times
Debbie, look at the sticky ”Official Index of Key Colorado Threads“ and scroll down to ”water issues“. There are three very good threads there that discuss this in great depth. Have fun reading!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:04 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie at bouontiful View Post
So, your saying cisterns are illegal. What about building a home with a cistern. I note that on the Santa Fe Trail subdivision, they are to have cisterns which I assume is for fire protection and they do have city water. I am in for a learning lesson because here in Eastern OK you "well .... do as one pleases" which isn't my cup of tea either! I had hoped in retiring saying in either Pagosa, Trindad, or Chama, NM, that I would have water for a green house. I am trying to sell a cattle ranch in Eastern OK. Trinidad will be closer to my grandchildren but I prefer Chama or Pagosa personally.
A lot of these subdivisions and homes in them will have cisterns because the flow rates for water can drop so low or even get cut off, even with "city water". I can't speak to that subdivision specifically but I know of similar type developments and that's the deal. The amount of water in a cistern is usually only a 1000-2000 gallons, which I guess you could use in the event of a fire, but it probably wouldn't last long.

I'd also look into what your tap fees will be if you do new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado