Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 03:21 PM

1,742 posts, read 3,116,799 times

Advertisements

Heard this while living in the high country;
"I'm all stoved up"
Still not quite sure what it means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,857,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
Heard this while living in the high country;
"I'm all stoved up"
Still not quite sure what it means.

I unfortunately found about out some 20 years after I heard it. I got into power plant construction at the ripe old age of 19 and would hear a lot of guys say that. Heh, those guys were not only double my age, but triple.. After those conversations I'd notice them walking bent over a tad at an angle. Three decades and five surgeries later I was walking at that angle myself!

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-21-2013 at 04:51 PM..

Old 01-21-2013, 03:53 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bindenver View Post
I believe you are referring to the Dakota Hogback - nowhere near any Dakotas, and in south Jeffco separates the "valley" of the Ken Caryl subdivision from the "plains" or older part.

The Dakota Hogback is a long hogback ridge at the eastern fringe of the Rocky Mountains that extends north-south from southern Wyoming through Colorado and into northern New Mexico in the United States. The ridge is prominently visible as the first line of foothills along the edge of the Great Plains. It is generally faulted along its western side, and varies in height, with gaps in numerous locations where rivers exit the mountains. The ridge takes its name from the Dakota Formation, a sandstone formation that underlies the ridge. The hogback was formed during the Laramide orogeny, approximately 50 million years (50 my) ago, when the modern Rockies were created. The general uplift to the west created long faulting in the North American Plate, resulting in the creation of the hogback Dakota Hogback - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, that is not the hogback I am referencing. For, all the decades I have lived here, the ridge that you see and you go over, when you go west on Alameda is called the "hogback". It may be an extension of a longer ridge but it is specific to the west of Denver, as we know it. The information that you provide is very interesting.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:02 PM

1,123 posts, read 3,111,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
No, that is not the hogback I am referencing. For, all the decades I have lived here, the ridge that you see and you go over, when you go west on Alameda is called the "hogback". It may be an extension of a longer ridge but it is specific to the west of Denver, as we know it. The information that you provide is very interesting.
I think you both are talking about the same thing. 'Dinosaur Ridge/Dakota Ridge', etc. Between C-470 and Red Rocks.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:05 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman91 View Post
Like I said, mileage may vary. Thanks for weighing in with your experiences. It seems that people with 'big city' accents from back east do often get teased over their accents. I love people from the Midwest and East coming here (in reasonable numbers, of course) to balance out all the 'hippies' from CA with a more practical hard edged perspective on life. (For the record, Colorado has native hippies, too. That's always been around.)
That being said, I am a proud native. I love the lifestyle my state has to offer. There are people at my church who are the real 'pioneers'...ranching for generations along the 105 corridor, and frankly, they've put enough blood and sweat into that land to deserve the moniker 'native'...offensive or not.

Standard American is a rather repressive dialectical instrument. More's the pity.
I really do not get teased--most people see it as much fun and we both have a laugh--but there is the rare idiot who thinks I am taking over his State. Accents are very important to maintain, as they give color to our American Landscape--eh, ya knowatta mean!

Yes, I agree as I have found real authentic Colorado Natives, deserving of that name, on the Great Plains. I love to meet them, ply them for real stories and hear their accent as they have the original Colorado accent. I often take driving trips to the eastern plains to remind me that there is a real Colorado that is ignored by the media and the state tourist people as seeming to always talk about the Mountains. When I was a kid in New York, the Colorado of my imagination was the Great West with the ranching and farming on the plains. Most people live, work, recreate and die on The Great Plains of Colorado--the Rocky Mountains are just a part of the saga of this state.

Livecontent

Old 01-22-2013, 09:23 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Don't know if this is specific to CO but:

"Colorado Pinstripes" are the scratches on the side of your vehicle the trees make while off-roading.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:25 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post

The best example above is 14er. It is the local name for what others would call a mountain that rises 14,000 ft or more above sea level. There is no such thing as a 13er.
I have increasingly heard the term 13er, but I'm pretty sure that's a "retronym" on 14ers...i.e., 14ers was the original term.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:26 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,218,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proveick View Post
S P O R E
Stupid People On Rental Equipment!
Guilty as charged

In my defense, everyone said it would be EASY!

Old 01-26-2013, 11:47 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
Turkeys, Not used too much anymore, referencing Tourists
Dember -hate that one!
Powder hounds
Flatboard Idiots - Skiiers

Old 01-26-2013, 11:52 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,926,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Here's two more:

1. NATIVE. Refers to the accident of birth that one is born, raised and living in COLO. This special status is often pointed out via a bumper sticker that says, simply, NATIVE. A subset of these born-here types share a delusion that somehow they are better than the millions of people who've moved here over the years. Term is highly disrespectful of ACTUAL natives (e.g., Ute, Comanche, Anasazi, Jicarilla Apache, et al) who were here a thousand years before all of us, as well as Hispanics of Mexican origin as the lower half of Colorado WAS indeed a part of MEXICO until about 1848. The "native" bumper sticker is unique to COLO, the other 49 states, and their citizens, apparently aren't very special.

2. PIONEER. Refers to one being related to persons who came to Colorado for the Gold Rush and Land Rush events of Colorado history. Pioneers were the people who first put a steel plow into dry grassland prairie in hopes of makes wealth in wheat, but instead ended up giving us the Dust Bowl. Rah! Many "natives" are the offspring of "pioneers" and share the same delusion of specialness. Status as a descendant of "pioneers" is deemed deserving of a special license plate remarkable for it's pastel colors and the word "pioneer" cast in the plate. The remarkable thing is that these special people are even willing to spend the extra money for these plates, even though they won't spend the money to keep our street lights on. The "pioneer" license plates are unique to COLO, the other 49 states and 310,000,000 other Americans and their ancestors apparently weren't very pioneering, even though my ancestors in the WHITE family came over on the Mayflower and the first child born of those "invaders" was a White family member.

Have a nice day.
Personally I find the tone of this post unbecoming of a moderator, and the use of profanity especially offensive.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 01-27-2013 at 11:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado