U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 09:06 PM

178 posts, read 488,137 times

Advertisements

I lived in Italy for a few months on Lake Como with my cousin. He was an excellent cook and we would pick fresh herbs and vegetables from his garden to make our meals. The food was excellent and surprisingly cheap to make. We lived above a bread shop and we bought fresh bread and pasta almost every day to go with our meals. A Mediterranean restaurant serving this kind of food would not necessarily have to be expensive. The prices could be affordable for most people and you could locate the restaurant in a modest neighborhood and do quite well. I live in Montrose and would love it if you would locate somewhere near here but your chances of success would be better in a larger city like Denver, Fort Collins or Colorado Springs. If you do open up your restaurant in a place like Denver I will find a reason to go there so I can try your cooking.

Take a look at the Ridgway/Ouray area in the San Juans. The mountains there bring back memories of the Swiss and Austrian Alps. There are a couple of restaurants in Ridgway that seem to have a lot of business and you could live affordably in Montrose. My child is attending Cottonwood elementary at the south side of town and I have been very happy with her progress. Again, I just want you to move here so I can eat real Italian food but you will probably do better in an area with a larger population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 02:53 AM

6 posts, read 6,627 times
Mamma mia. I have enjoyed reading each of you. Thank you so much for your advice. This is wonderful. I have a lot to research, and you guys have given me a direction. Thank you so much.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:02 PM

6 posts, read 6,627 times
Guys, I think I am leaning towards Denver and Summit County (Frisco, Silverton and Edwards). My one important concern is finding a school for my five year old son. I contacted a few private schools in Denver via email and I am still waiting for a response. I got in touch with a realtor in regards to existing restaurants in lease but even he seems to think I am insane. Why? Has Mediterranean restaurants saturated the CO market? Is it no longer Desirable? What would you like to see as far as newness in the area? And how? Thank you again.

Last edited by REJco2013; 01-22-2013 at 03:12 PM..

Old 01-22-2013, 07:04 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,525,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REJco2013 View Post
Guys, I think I am leaning towards Denver and Summit County (Frisco, Silverton and Edwards). My one important concern is finding a school for my five year old son. I contacted a few private schools in Denver via email and I am still waiting for a response. I got in touch with a realtor in regards to existing restaurants in lease but even he seems to think I am insane. Why? Has Mediterranean restaurants saturated the CO market? Is it no longer Desirable? What would you like to see as far as newness in the area? And how? Thank you again.
Edwards for starters is not in Summit County but Eagle County and in the lower Vail Valley.

All three places are in expensive, seasonal resort areas that have had very high turnover of restaurants in the past 5 years. Lots of people have lost money. For starters, these resort towns are not like regular towns. Real estate is very pricey, the local education systems are poor, with anyone of means spending the money to send kids to private schooling.

I can't speak to Denver as much, but in the high country the issue with your restaurant idea is cash flow from seasonal business and a flood of competition. I would talk to local restaurant owners and visit extensively before you throw money down the drain.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:16 PM

3,181 posts, read 7,022,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Edwards for starters is not in Summit County but Eagle County and in the lower Vail Valley.

All three places are in expensive, seasonal resort areas that have had very high turnover of restaurants in the past 5 years. Lots of people have lost money. For starters, these resort towns are not like regular towns. Real estate is very pricey, the local education systems are poor, with anyone of means spending the money to send kids to private schooling.

I can't speak to Denver as much, but in the high country the issue with your restaurant idea is cash flow from seasonal business and a flood of competition. I would talk to local restaurant owners and visit extensively before you throw money down the drain.
I live in Avon, less than 5 minutes from Edwards and know the hospitality business intimately. If you have money to burn, by all means open up here, hope you're coming with cash because banks will not make loans on restaurants, especially to operators with unproven track records. It's very seasonal in the mountains, expect to close down in the off season or run outrageous food and labor costs that you will spend the rest of the year trying to recover from. As far as appreciating Med food, there is quite a lot up here, doesn't mean there isn't room for more but it's not really unique.

As Waneroo stated, visit (for an extended period), research intensely, talk to the locals and then make an informed decision.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,510,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by REJco2013 View Post
There is a trend that higher price sit down restaurants are being supplanted by fast casual as in the likes of Chipolte, Panera Bread etc. because people do not want to, or do not have the money to spend. So, you want to do a Mediterranean Restaurant, then think about creating one that fits into that category. Certainly in Europe, fast casual are seen often in serving Mediterranean Food, like a Osteria but even faster, simple food with selection at a counter and casual sitting. You can model it on a Panda Express but with a choice of Mediterranean food. Design your menu to allow parings of food to create fast simple dishes, so as to minimize your purchasing, inventory and waste.

Livecontent

Old 01-22-2013, 07:55 PM

13,947 posts, read 20,190,335 times
Default Oooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
fast casual as in the likes
QSR fried sardines. I am there.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
QSR fried sardines. I am there.
Exactly! Sort of like a tapas bar in Spain. The other day I was at my favorite Asian Market in Broomfield, Pacific Ocean Marketplace. I started a conversation with this Chinese Woman and she had these beautiful fresh Smelts in her cart. I was not on my way home and I could not keep them cold--so I was disappointed in not getting them.

Now I know smelts are not fresh sardines but when I was growing up on the Great Lakes, where they were plentiful, they were so wonderful dredged in flour and fried. I would eat until I could stuff no more.

I was in Monterey, California at the Presidio of Monterey for my Army Days, long ago past, and it was the first place I ever tasted fresh sardines. At one time that was a big industry in that city until the big schools of fish stopped coming, as such the name for the famous Cannery Row, which now is the site of the big Monterey Aquarium. That was built many years after my time when I was there, when Cannery Row was more evocative of the John Steinbeck's Novel.

Livecontent

Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 PM

3,111 posts, read 4,881,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
There is a trend that higher price sit down restaurants are being supplanted by fast casual as in the likes of Chipolte, Panera Bread etc. because people do not want to, or do not have the money to spend. So, you want to do a Mediterranean Restaurant, then think about creating one that fits into that category. Certainly in Europe, fast casual are seen often in serving Mediterranean Food, like a Osteria but even faster, simple food with selection at a counter and casual sitting. You can model it on a Panda Express but with a choice of Mediterranean food. Design your menu to allow parings of food to create fast simple dishes, so as to minimize your purchasing, inventory and waste.

Livecontent
You just described Garbonzo Mediterranean Grill, and, to a lesser extent, Renzios. Garbonzo is the fast casual Mediterranean food restaurant in the area with a dozen or so stores.

There is not a large Mediterranean population in Denver, so the demand for such food is not as great as it is for other types of food. I was talking to one of the employees of a restaurant serving such fare just this past weekend, and she told me that they changed the name of their restaurant, taking out the word Mediterranean so that they would attract more customers.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidv View Post
You just described Garbonzo Mediterranean Grill, and, to a lesser extent, Renzios. Garbonzo is the fast casual Mediterranean food restaurant in the area with a dozen or so stores.

There is not a large Mediterranean population in Denver, so the demand for such food is not as great as it is for other types of food. I was talking to one of the employees of a restaurant serving such fare just this past weekend, and she told me that they changed the name of their restaurant, taking out the word Mediterranean so that they would attract more customers.
Thanks for the information. I forgot about this restaurant chain. I have no idea why people who have aversion to the word Mediterranean and why would that food only appeal to a Mediterranean Population. Med certainly has a connotation of food that promotes health and long life and it has much press in the media, over many decades.

Perhaps people view Med as expensive. Then I would go to the comical extreme and create a chain based on the Popeye caricatures, buy the rights and call it Olive Oyle's with her skinny pictures as a theme.

People do associate Med with Olive Oil. There are restaurant called Olives. Oh, how about a theme past on the well known term of Virgin Olive Oil. We can then call it the Virgin's with a shy beautiful pure Green Olive Persona as a caricature. I think Olive Oyle was always considered a Virgin, why would any woman have sex with Popeye---does eating his spinach make his member grow? I'am what I'am!

Livecontent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Colorado
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or